Should I fight for an interpreter?

ah............. so you're saying that the gallaudet website should be an end-all for "deaf camps"?

huh? actually, sure, I guess maybe now that you bring it up I'd think it should be, but that's not what I was saying. I was simply saying: surprised not to see anything listed in MA or RI on that list, we have to go all the way to CT Berkshires for Deaf Camp. CA has great resources. :laugh2: Did I write something confrontational there? Is observation on the apparent lack of asl deaf camps on the cape or martha's vineyard a taboo subject?

I didn't mean it that way at all. I didn't say anything about AGB. I didn't say anything about Clark or mainstream programs.

I was under the impression that that area of the east coast had a large deaf population, so I would have been surprised that the Boston area didn't have anything. Me not living there just caused wonder: "not even in Boston?" .............

Sorry for the confusion, I was responding to both you and koko in the same message: he asked why I was putting so many constraints on my options, you asked about Boston area camps. Yes, there are deaf camps here in this area, but they are all oral deaf camps, I wasn't thinking of those as options because we're not pursuing that approach. So if I'm "putting constraints," as Koko says, on my choices based on our philosophy, there don't appear to be the large # of ASL deaf camps here in MA or RI that show up in the list for CA.

Sorry for the confusion, I was responding to both you and koko in the same message: he asked why I was putting so many constraints on my options, you asked about Boston area camps. Yes, there are deaf camps here in this area, but they are all oral deaf camps, I wasn't thinking of those as options because we're not pursuing that approach. So if I'm "putting constraints," as Koko says, on my choices based on our philosophy, there don't appear to be the large # of ASL deaf camps here in MA or RI that show up in the list for CA.

I can ask my friend who works for Waldon campus at TLC if she knows of any?

huh? actually, sure, I guess maybe now that you bring it up I'd think it should be, but that's not what I was saying. I was simply saying: surprised not to see anything listed in MA or RI on that list, we have to go all the way to CT Berkshires for Deaf Camp. CA has great resources. :laugh2: Did I write something confrontational there? Is observation on the apparent lack of asl deaf camps on the cape or martha's vineyard a taboo subject?

uh ok................ whatever.

SPACE CAMP!!! wooo hooo (but we're not eligible until she's 9)

Oh!! Awesome!! That would be a great opportunity for her!! I wish I went to Space Camp. Let me know if you're in the neighborhood. Another chance to meet an AD-er? :)

I can ask my friend who works for Waldon campus at TLC if she knows of any?

Most of the TLC kids go to Isola Bella, but that's a ways, in terms of years ... they don't take 5YOs (I checked :) ). But we're all set this summer, I was joking around about wishing there was a camp located on the Cape or MV (beach :) ) where I could visit her daily -- we're not suffering for activities this summer, she has school through July.

We don't know what the constraints are. Just because one lives in California, which is an awfully big state, she could be living in some small town, way off somewhere from any nearby big cities. I wouldn't be so dismissive off of her right away.

I'm not in Csign's shoes or any parent's shoes to determine a parental's "value" regarding his or her deaf/hh son/daughter. If ya'll want to make an impression, offer something constructive to parents, and let them make the decision instead of "Well, so and so drove this deaf son/daughter hundreds and hundreds of miles everyday to camp, (what have you)" which decidedly implies/imparts a certain slight to parents whose constraints we don't even know or understand and say they are essentially not "doing enough" or worse "shitty parents."

Not my call. It is after all a parental decision. Give them the info so they make an informed decision instead. Leave crap in the wake is not going to work.

I said we don't know exactly what CSign's constraints are and we shouldn't even go there. And you said, "Who cares..." and do the whole spiel about how your parents traveled so many miles and such and such to deliver a deaf/hh kid (you) to camp. Flinging the words "who cares" means, in CSigns' eyes, that her constraint(s) doesn't matter and that she is essentially not "doing enough." To her, it means you calling her a "shitty parent."

Not about me....it's the parents who come in here trying to find information and direction. Maybe even some validation. Imparting a negative tone isn't going to help. We don't know what the parents' constraints are in the first place. But, you know, who cares. Right? But militant attitudes ain't going to win these parents over, either.

The point of that map was to provide an easy to see information and let the parents *decide* whether the constraints or limitations they have can be met without passing any judgement (whether intentionally or not) their way. But to throw it back in their faces they won't come back and see what can really be offered....camps in several different locations that could be reachable. Again, even with that in mind, we still don't know what those constraints are and perhaps they cannot be met even with the map information. That's not for us to decide....it's the parents'. And this can be done without appearing pushy or with a negative tone, too.

ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. You know what I like about Schroeder? He doesn't talk too much.

I am pretty sound interesting

do you can do best responsibility defender to fight to against to interpreter
you disagree to interpreter or tell right to human person I serious!
I am serious you don't uncomfortable or numberous

Grendel, what about the Austine Lions Deaf Camp?
http://www.vcdhh.org/images/stories/pdfs/Broch_3-10770-2011_1-UP.pdf
It's says they have a day program for five year olds.
Maybe you could go on a vacation to VT?
Also Beverely School for the Deaf: Summer Program
I thought that TLC has a summer camp? You could also contact READS in Middleboro: D.H.H.
There's a lot of summer programs but doesn't seem to be a lot of CAMPS. Iso Bella seems to be the only real camp.
CSign, ignoring the snarky comments. I would totally look into Deaf Camp for your son, even if you have to drive him five hours... They are SO worth it, especially for kids in the mainstream!

What was the reason?

I wondered that as well. We seem to have an epidemic of people refusing to answer direct questions lately. Perhaps a fear of being shown the holes in their logic and the true philosophy behind their thinking being revealed.

We don't know what the constraints are. Just because one lives in California, which is an awfully big state, she could be living in some small town, way off somewhere from any nearby big cities. I wouldn't be so dismissive off of her right away.

So, travel. What's the big deal with a little travel when compared to ensuring the best environment for your child?

Point is, it can't be said that there are no camps available. The accurate statement would be, "I am not willing to do that which would be necessary for my child to attend one of those camps."

Let's be real here, shall we?

Who cares? My parents drove me 5 hours ONE way, 2x per summer to go to a deaf camp. You do the math. Any parent who wants to get their child to a deaf camp, will.

*Edit: they did this for SIX summers.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :ty::ty::ty:Exactly what I was talking about when I asked for people to be real.

Of course there are obstacles. But they are obstacles that can be overcome if one is willing to do what is necessary. Don't use those obstacles as an excuse for unwilligness.

What are there? Growing up my parents made sure i went to camps all over the place. One every year was a 5 hour drive one way. They had totally no problems doing that.

I thank them for doing that. A lot.

Right. One cannot say "I will do anything to make sure my child has what they need, and then find reasons for not doing it."

Just be honest. Say, "I am willing to do anything except... and then list the things you are not willing to do."

Nobody was trying to say you were a "shitty hearing parent".

All we were doing was pointing out that there are multitudes of deaf camps around. Maybe you didn't know of them until now. And, if finances are an issue, most of these camps offer scholarships to cover the cost of attending a camp.

Right. Hasn't got anything to do with being a "shitty" parent. It has to do with using excuses that really don't exist. Just be honest about what you are willing to do and not do.

Back