• No

Votes: 30 73.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
DOCTOR.jpg

HEAF_3.jpg

the story of my life as Baby Jiro.

I believe that homework assignment should be banned but... students should still study everyday to retention the information in their brain. The 1 hour studying should be enough by read the book or information handout. Those is best preparation for test.

The homework take time away from family and I believe that family should spend more time with their child.

When I was younger, my father filled out the homework assignment for me and showed the paper then put in folder. That left me as none to learn and until I got in middle school, I got very little or no homework because special education was much worse so left me with very little learning. When I entered 9th grade at high school and I got zero homework at all. The special education at high school is nothing, except for crafting like use construction paper to decorate, color the picture, basic math like add and subtract, read preschool/kindergarten, watch Nick Jr. on TV, walk on track field with teacher, free ice cream, free juices, free snacks, basic history/science and play kiddie games on iMac G3. I told my parent that I want go to college and they started surprised about classroom that I was in, was bad. I had long IEP and my parent agreed with me that I should go to deaf school for better education. I was extremely struggle with high school for 2 years until much improvement during senior year but not ready for college because of my english and reading weren't great. I left deaf school to hearing school so made my first time to be in mainstream classes with hearing students. I didn't pass the state exam in english until late 2006 so I got high school diploma. My VR recommended me go to community college before transfer to university but I rather to worked for several years so not enroll at community college until Spring 2010.

I'm seriously regretted about left deaf school because I had terrible experience with mainstream school.

During mainstream classes, I noticed many students hadn't finish the assignment at home and our teacher wasn't happy but they let us to finish in class and cut the assignment that we could finish in class. I didn't have much homework in mainstream classes. The school that I was attend is underperforming and had been bad since 90's.

In college, it is your responsible to finish the assignment as you can and must be ahead to scheduled or you can fail the class easily. The college has more studying than in high school.

My dad helped with my homework once and I tried to tell him he was doing it wrong , he would not listen to me. I was right , my teacher marked it wrong!
I think some homework will not kill a kid , but giving students homework that will take up half the day is not right.

I'm glad my college days are behind me... PITA that gave me the barest of skills to get anywhere without any real-world experience for my first job out of college, aside from a full-time clerical job that basically taught me how to tell a stapler from a copier and what to do with them.

Keep an eye on the student loan scandal. Ready for this one to blow up and force the gov't to cancel most if not all school loans. The current one does not help students who have been unable to make payments on their loans regularly (right now, minimum payment for me is *** $0 *** a month and has been for I think 6 or 7 years), which you have to do for 10 years before you are eligible for the waiver. I'm just going to put it off until I pay off other stuff and regain the ability to knock back 600-700 a month for 2.5 years straight.

The sad part is once you get a college degrees, you find employers really couldn't care less about your qualifications. I spent years in school trying to get my B.A. and M.Ed. only to find I still was only being offered lousy, low paying jobs. In hindsight, I should have just finished high school and skipped college.

The sad part is once you get a college degrees, you find employers really couldn't care less about your qualifications. I spent years in school trying to get my B.A. and M.Ed. only to find I still was only being offered lousy, low paying jobs. In hindsight, I should have just finished high school and skipped college.
Would you still have the same job without a college degree that you have now?

I had full-time job while I was in college. It mean, I have more reference to launch on get a job.

You need improve your motivation to get a good paying job and it isn't simple step for you to get a job at once. You need have hard look at job and ask VR if you need help.

There are many Gallaudet students got a good paying job.

I'm a teacher. I say NO HOMEWORK!

Sometimes a kid can't get help from a parent, sometimes kids have other responsibilities, sometimes the kid's parents may not speak English, or...too often...a kid ALREADY KNOWS how to do it, so the homework is a waste of time!

Some exceptions: Foreign language, reading assignments, projects, a little math practice. But homework shouldn't take hours and shouldn't be every day. I object strongly to homework in elementary school. My son has had it since K. He's in 2nd now. Sigh.

I am a teacher myself and I have the opinion that homework is very important and vital. Responsibility is something all students need to learn, and homework helps with that skill. It also helps to reinforce what they learned that day, and helps the teacher know what the child is learning in and out of school. In addition, it allows the teacher to expand on what they learned that day and make a real-world connection.

I am against giving "too much homework"-- it is rather pointless, to me, to assign an overwhelming amount. We want to teach them responsibility, how to be organized, how to make a schedule-- and if their schedule is full of just homework, that will just discourage them or burn them out. I give homework daily but always make sure that it is manageable (and ALWAYS make sure there is nothing new on the assignment). Some students in high school are so used to teachers that don't give homework, they have no sense of responsibility and it hits them really hard when they get to college.

Homework in college can be brutal--- and they need to take baby steps to get there. Homework should be treated delicately-- not too much so they can still have fun, but not too little so they don't learn anything (And above all, lack responsibility...)

:gpost:

Bottom line; It's all about time management and everything in moderation.

In addition to this; It also gives the parents a chance to be involved in their child's daily education process and to be on the know of what problems or success the child is on.

Everyone should have homework.

As I said before, both parents and teachers should be doing their part... not just the teachers.

Nowadays, they expect it all to be done by the teachers. That's not true. Yes, teachers do the teaching at school. But the parents are also responsible for what goes on at home. If a teacher assigns homework, then the parents should do their part to make sure the kids do their homeworks and help the kids if necessary.

Today, a lot of parents are lazy. They don't bother making sure their kids are doing their homework nor do they even care to bother helping. So, if a kid complains that he/she has too much homework... the parents go whining to the school that the homework is too hard or too much and the teachers get in trouble.

Seriously, parents... do your part! :)

I don't see how homework can be avoided. There aren't enough school hours available for the students to do all the reading and prep work that their courses require.

Parents should make sure that the kids have available a good study environment (no distractions, good lighting, table and chair), and set up the family schedule in a way to allow time for homework. They should also ensure that the student is doing what was assigned.

Not all parents are able to help their children with homework but they can help their children find tutors, or have conferences with the teachers about getting extra help.

I'm trying to recall my elementary and secondary school days (too far back, heh, heh). Honestly, I don't recall my parents ever helping me with my homework, and I never asked them. I assumed it was my work to do.

I asked TCS about his homework as a kid. He said other than his mom doing flashcard practice with him, his parents didn't help him with homework either.

I think parents helping kids (other than enforcing homework time) wasn't common in previous generations.

This is really about self discipline.

I second this, in my career I've seen some really talented and smart people and yet they fail because they just don't have the discipline to simply show up and do the work.

Success isn't all about just raw talent; it's also perspiration and the willingness to struggle and work despite feeling like going on a vacation.

Back