• Yes

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 73.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
Why do you think it's stupid?
Because it makes homework sounds like a bad thing which it's not. For example, "Should guns be banned?" makes more sense because alot of people think guns are dangerous or bad. Therefore, "Should homework be banned?" makes no sense. Homework is always good and important for education. Period. Only lazy kids at school would say yes because they hate homework.

Last edited:
Hah, the ages old debate. I would say nix the homework and focus on sports and social skills. Kids are so lacking in those department those days. That's the real world preparation, social skills.

Hah, the ages old debate. I would say nix the homework and focus on sports and social skills. Kids are so lacking in those department those days. That's the real world preparation, social skills.
So, you would rather the kids not have homework... but make friends and excel in sports? Why not both?

Doing things hands-on is what helps us learn. Teachers teach us how to do it. We apply it through homework and studying. If homework is done moderately, we can do homework and still have time to participate in sports and play with friends. I always had homework, but I still had time to do basketball, baseball, soccer, bowling, and volleyball... and still had time to play with friends, watch television, and play video games.

It's a ridiculous debate since homework will never be banned anyway.

So, you chose to not read anything. Okay then.

For your information, it's not stupid debate, since those comments and discussions are mostly favor of removing entire or some homework for elementary and/or middle schools. Not for high school or college...

I voted no, but felt a little leery of going that way. Homework is important as long as it is within reason. there seems to be too much homework these days, and on stuff that is not gone over in class. How is a student supposed to be able to do the work if they don't know it? The government is requiring so much from the school districts, which then trickles down to the teachers. They are then not paid enough to do all they are required to do and our children are paying the price. When I was in school (yes, back in the older days), we would have class discussion, go over the chapter or whatever and then were assigned homework on what was discussed in the chapter. The last time one of my kids got homework in the public school system, there was no class discussion and in looking in the textbook, there is nothing that would help my child know what was going on. It was basically, nothing but questions and answer lines to be filled in. It was set up more like the answer book as opposed to a textbook and that's all they had for the school. We had to go online to get information. In my mind, that was wrong. This was for a math class.

Homework is good in moderation. My girls had loads of homework in high school, but they took all AP classes. There were many long nights. They still did sports and such, but family dinners seldom happened. There were times we took the boat out and they would paddle on a raft under a tree and do homework. It all paid off because they both are doing great in college and beyond.

homework is a mark of dedicationa and passion, if you cant show you 'done your homework' then its fairly clear you didnt care about study or the subject

I voted no, but felt a little leery of going that way. Homework is important as long as it is within reason. there seems to be too much homework these days, and on stuff that is not gone over in class. How is a student supposed to be able to do the work if they don't know it? The government is requiring so much from the school districts, which then trickles down to the teachers. They are then not paid enough to do all they are required to do and our children are paying the price. When I was in school (yes, back in the older days), we would have class discussion, go over the chapter or whatever and then were assigned homework on what was discussed in the chapter. The last time one of my kids got homework in the public school system, there was no class discussion and in looking in the textbook, there is nothing that would help my child know what was going on. It was basically, nothing but questions and answer lines to be filled in. It was set up more like the answer book as opposed to a textbook and that's all they had for the school. We had to go online to get information. In my mind, that was wrong. This was for a math class.
:werd:

That's what I had while growing up. I also had my parents there to help me or to make sure I did my homework. ("No television or video games until you do your homework!")

Nowadays, parents just let their kids watch television or play video games without any mention of homework. When the kids then get low grades, the parents are quick to blame the teacher for making the classes or homework too difficult or too much for the kids. :roll:

Nowadays, parents just let their kids watch television or play video games without any mention of homework. When the kids then get low grades, the parents are quick to blame the teacher for making the classes or homework too difficult or too much for the kids. :roll:
My son hated homework which he missed many times but he made it through high school. I just couldn't believe it with my own eyes. Of course, he got alot of C and D so he was to blame for low grades, not me or teachers. I was strict but he was so stubborn. In fact, some or alot of teenagers are hard to control.

As for elementary schools, I doubt that the teachers give too much homework because the kids are too little or too young. Some parents are hypocrites for blaming the school. You are right about eye-rolling.

I'm going to offer a young educator's perspective on this...

Some classes can handle homework. Some classes can't.
It's the teacher's duty to be strategic about his or her teaching method so that it that allows the most amount of learning possible within the given restraints of time, money, and space.

I have had classes where I will give out homework, and enough students will do the homework that we can talk about the ideas from the homework in class to foster an informative discussion about the class topic.

I've also had classes where no one does the homwork, so the class becomes very structured in order to be able to cover all the required material. 5 minutes intro, 10 minutes hands-on, 5 minute lecture, 10 minutes pair-up, 2 minutes to explain exit-activity (students have to finish this activity to leave class), then 5 minutes to finish that activity... there's no room for discussion in this kind of class format, but at least everyone tries to do the work.

Usually when a class does not do homework, a class-wide discussion isn't appropriate anyway (someone will say something inappropriate, or cause a distraction that takes away from instruction time), so as a result, a more structured classroom is better for them in two ways because:
1. they will have a chance to try all the stuff taught in class
2. they will get into less trouble because there is less chances to get into trouble.

Now, I'm not saying that not doing homework is the symptom of bad students, or that it is necessarily a bad thing. It just means that the classroom will operate in a different way to make sure all the students have a chance to learn.

Wirelessly posted

I believe that assigning homework makes the teacher lazy. If the teacher makes sure to really teach the subject, that each child understands. The child takes up a real interest in the subject and will study up at home of their own accord due to love of learning. If the love for learning is not there, it can't be forced. If forced it will only go further downhill for the child.

I believe that assigning homework makes the teacher lazy. If the teacher makes sure to really teach the subject, that each child understands. The child takes up a real interest in the subject and will study up at home of their own accord due to love of learning. If the love for learning is not there, it can't be forced. If forced it will only go further downhill for the child.

Many teachers do want all of their students to succeed!

But the problem they are faced with is:

1. limited time (meet students only for 34 minutes a day? yikes! Also, teacher has limited time to prepare for class)

2. many students (everyone is a different kind of learner, and you can't one student at a time)

3. some stuff is difficult to learn unless you keep trying (like math proofs, algebra, certain kinds of science, drawing, playing an instrument... depends on the person)

Yes, some students do turn away from a subject because they're forced to try too many times, but some students will practice even if they hate it at first because they want good grades.

And maybe, those students will finish the class with the good grades they want, and with something new in their heads as a result of reviewing school material at home, or as some call it, homework.

But, I also think some kinds of classes simply cannot handle homework (maybe many students have a bad home life, or many students have attention problems, or many students have too many extra-curricular activities) and that in those cases, the teacher can change the way they teach so that the lessons rely less on homework and rely more on student participation.

I'm going to offer a young educator's perspective on this...

Some classes can handle homework. Some classes can't.
It's the teacher's duty to be strategic about his or her teaching method so that it that allows the most amount of learning possible within the given restraints of time, money, and space.

I have had classes where I will give out homework, and enough students will do the homework that we can talk about the ideas from the homework in class to foster an informative discussion about the class topic.

I've also had classes where no one does the homwork, so the class becomes very structured in order to be able to cover all the required material. 5 minutes intro, 10 minutes hands-on, 5 minute lecture, 10 minutes pair-up, 2 minutes to explain exit-activity (students have to finish this activity to leave class), then 5 minutes to finish that activity... there's no room for discussion in this kind of class format, but at least everyone tries to do the work.

Usually when a class does not do homework, a class-wide discussion isn't appropriate anyway (someone will say something inappropriate, or cause a distraction that takes away from instruction time), so as a result, a more structured classroom is better for them in two ways because:
1. they will have a chance to try all the stuff taught in class
2. they will get into less trouble because there is less chances to get into trouble.

Now, I'm not saying that not doing homework is the symptom of bad students, or that it is necessarily a bad thing. It just means that the classroom will operate in a different way to make sure all the students have a chance to learn.
You're right. It varies by class.

I've had different classes that had different teaching approaches.

I had a class where the teacher decided that the test would be 25 questions and that each student would be assigned a question. Then in the next class, everyone would have an opportunity to review their questions and answers before submitting it as whole. During the first half of the class, everyone shared their answers and everyone gave opinions on whether it was right or wrong before writing it down. The second half of the class had the teacher asking each question to each student. At the end, we got 1 wrong! So, our final exam grade was 96! :)

(No, it wasn't mine that was wrong.) ;)

Back