Votes: 7 11.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I dont care

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
No way to shut down deaf schools at least most of them!

Believe that few of them will be shut down only on those where there has some serious attendance shrinking in the near future. (aka Montana and such)(money reasons, too)

In my time sexual abuse wasn't as high as Angel claimed with a source link. It was roughly 20% or so back then.

But nowadays it's probably bit higher, I'm mere sure yet like others said that it is in fact becoming more common everywhere outside deaf school (hearing & mainstream schools), anyway. Except for those few deaf schools I think they need to revamp their dorm staffs to ensure to protect the students from.

Also to stress more BiBi education on every deaf and other schools as well. More deaf staff yet also keep several good hearing staff.

Tousi, I like what California did (last summer) so hope other states beside Florida will follow up making it their new state law, too.

Boy, I had lot of great memories at ISD and am so thankful for that except that I wish we had some better early intervention back then although ISD improves that part now.

I experienced no such discrimination, great social life, great sports, good education, etc at ISD. Believe I would be much better off going there instead of attending local schools in a small city. Mom offered me the choice after returning back to Indiana as a pre-teen so I chose ISD.

Also what I learned some from FSDB via teacher/staff friends that they said they realized how beneficial it helps financially to have both deaf and blind at a residential school. :hmm: It may help some smaller deaf schools which may need that to prevent a possible shutdown.

Web, I am not 100% sure but I believe Florida has a similar law and that is why enrollment is up there....

But will the school boards hire qualified and certified DEAF teachers? It is always imperative to have them as role models and peer supporters for the Deaf children.
That is what I am saying I want to see. I don't know if it will happen.

I have noticed in some posts that there are some people who believe that all Deaf schools will shut down in the future. I would like to know your opinion if they should be shut down and why. If u dont want to state why, that's fine.

My opinion is no because there are so many children who do not get the education or their needs met in the public schools and if all Deaf schools were to be shut down, where would they go? Also, many deaf people would lose their jobs. By shutting down Deaf schools, many deaf people who are working, paying their taxes, not collecting SSI, and contributing to the economy will be without a job and you know how the job market is not that friendly to many deaf people by underpaying them or not promoting them.

My answer is they should not be closed at all for several reasons.

I want to bring these questions below:

1) Quality of ASL interpreters - Are they certified? How fluent are they in ASL? How knowledgeable are they in all courses which are offered in the mainstreamed programs? Can they be impartial?

2) Hearing teachers - Are they qualified in teaching Deaf children? Will they practice audism toward them? Will they show indifferent attitudes to them when the Deaf children face some difficult problems or situations? How enough are they understandable and receptive to the Deaf culture?

3) School Boards - Will they hire certified Deaf teachers whose qualities and experience are clearly more than the hearing teachers'? Will they allow the certified ASL evaluators to evaluate the ASL interpreters in order to determinate whether they are enough qualified to provide interpreting services? Will they allow the Deaf children to have well-educated Deaf leaders as their peer support and role models?

4) Guidance Counselors - What will they tell the Deaf children and their parents of what their future is for them? How well are they understandable and receptive to them and their Deaf culture?

I have had many questions in my mind but at this moment I think they are enough for now. The questions are asked because some of my friends shared their experiences in being in the mainstreamed programs with me.

Shel, I am glad that you brought it up. :)

The Deaf Schools SHOULD not be shut down at all.

Granted, Some deaf schools have their own flaws and they're not perfect. Well, guess what, Some hearing schools do have their own flaws and they're not perfect either too.

I am sick of it when someone says mainstreaming is better than attending a deaf school. In fact, both of these avenues are no better than one or another. It may work for one but it may not work for another. Some deaf students are already having a hard time in a mainstream setting, just as much as some deaf students who grew up in a mainstream setting and got into a deaf school.

It's kind of funny how I've seen some people saying that students from the deaf schools graduated with a reading level of 4th grade. What they don't know is, that also happens for some deaf students that graduated from a mainstream setting that has very little exposure of the english/reading foundation as well.

So, with that, I believe the deaf schools are able to provide some better access for some deaf students that can be met to their needs in different areas.

Also another reason is, 90% (okay maybe it's not exactly 90% but figuratively speaking of) of the time, You don't learn what you learn in the classroom. You learn it OUT of the classrooms. How would one learn so much out of the classroom when they are in a mainstream setting with virtually much less of a communication structure with the parents and friends? That is if they have any friends in the mainstream setting. At the deaf school, that also can be accessed because there are communication structure accessed 24/7.

Just my :2c:

:ty:

Haha, Tousi - I only was sharing what I have seen; As I've grew up in a deaf school, graduated from there and I've had a brief experience in a mainstream setting. So with that, It gave me the view for this. :)
:lol: I know, I know, just passing through and aggravating the ire of some here whose pet peeve in another thread is the desire of upping post counts. :lol:

:lol: I know, I know, just passing through and aggravating the ire of some here whose pet peeve in another thread is the desire of upping post counts. :lol:

Tousi, I am shocked at you. I will soon join your club though.:P

Sorry,:topic:

:lol:

Well look who's a naughty boy here right now? :whip:

Let's get back on the topic, shall we? *chuckles*

I don't think Deaf schools should be shut down. That would suck. :( I don't think that the choice for one to be mainstreamed or not. I would prefer to send my kids to a Deaf school if they were fully deaf, or if their deafness was significant enough to be a problem.

I voted. "I don't care" It doesn't matter to me if deaf school should or shouldn't shut down. It depend on school. I heard about Georgia School for the Deaf is closed for reason.

Back