Shock shock!!!

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got a CI...and it was activated on Wed (2 days ago). :giggle:

How does things sound to you now?

OMG...as someone who was born with a bilateral profound deafness of 110 db and then it dropped to 120 plus where hearing aids were no longer producing sounds for me, I did NOT know that this is a NOISY world!!!!

The last 2 days have been weird. I feel like someone is playing games with me.

Some sounds HURT and some are sounding better. I dont like how people's voices sound now. With hearing aids, I knew if there were people talking nearby...with the CI, I cant recognize it. I know there are sounds but dont know what it is and I turn around...like, Oh...my coworkers talking.

But I am already starting to understand my co workers via lipreading without asking them to repeat themselves like I usually do. Interesting. lol

OMG...as someone who was born with a bilateral profound deafness of 110 db and then it dropped to 120 plus where hearing aids were no longer producing sounds for me, I did NOT know that this is a NOISY world!!!!

The last 2 days have been weird. I feel like someone is playing games with me.

Some sounds HURT and some are sounding better. I dont like how people's voices sound now. With hearing aids, I knew if there were people talking nearby...with the CI, I cant recognize it. I know there are sounds but dont know what it is and I turn around...like, Oh...my coworkers talking.

But I am already starting to understand my co workers via lipreading without asking them to repeat themselves like I usually do. Interesting. lol

Oh that had to been a real shock to you hearing new sounds. I know what you mean about some sounds hurting . That is interesting about not needing to ask people to repeat what they say, I am always do that.
Did you a headache the first few days hearing so many new sounds ?
I have a left corner hearing lost , I was never told this until last week .
You work in a school and there are a lot of sounds there . You have 2 days off to give your ears a rest . This is does sound exciding to me . I hope you'll adjust to your new NOISY world OK . :aw:

Oh that had to been a real shock to you hearing new sounds. I know what you mean about some sounds hurting . That is interesting about not needing to ask people to repeat what they say, I am always do that.
You work in a school and there are a lot of sounds there . You have 2 days off to give your ears a rest . This is does sound exciding to me . I hope you'll adjust to your new NOISY world OK . :aw:

Thank u
No headaches and the audi warned me that I would feel so exhausted at the end of the day from adapting to the sounds. Actually, I dont feel any more than the normal teacher exhaustion.

That surprised me. I have already begun to filter out the unwanted sounds unless I have my CI programmed on wrong. lol

What is "a left corner hearing lost"??? :hmm:

Things will sound off/funny until your brain re-wires itself. Mine was pretty quick at doing so, but living alone it was hard for me to figure out some sounds Ive never heard before and actually got spooked several times with the sudden extreme noises that I didnt recognize. Birds, oh my god I wish they didnt exist when i was first activated, but then again, I lived in the country....lol
Congrats and hang in there, it only gets better.

Thank u
No headaches and the audi warned me that I would feel so exhausted at the end of the day from adapting to the sounds. Actually, I dont feel any more than the normal teacher exhaustion.

That surprised me. I have already begun to filter out the unwanted sounds unless I have my CI programmed on wrong. lol

I have to turn my HA down when checking out the grocery store when they do the price check all that beeping hurt my ears . I bet being a teacher can get very exhaustion . That good you didn't get any headaches from all the news sounds. :)

What's "...a left corner hearing lost...."??

I'm guessing her "left corner hearing loss" is low-frequency loss.
I have both low & high ... and middle ... loss.

I have to turn my HA down when checking out the grocery store when they do the price check all that beeping hurt my ears . I bet being a teacher can get very exhaustion . That good you didn't get any headaches from all the news sounds. :)

Actually, I am too busy trying to make sure my students' behaviors dont get out of control. lol

A high frequency hearing lost , this was new to me too . I never heard this term before . I knew I have a high frequency hearing lost but I never had an audi use left corner hearing lost before.

What is "a left corner hearing lost"??? :hmm:

I'm guessing her "left corner hearing loss" is low-frequency loss.
I have both low & high ... and middle ... loss.

A high frequency hearing lost , this was new to me too . I never heard this term before . I knew I have a high frequency hearing lost but I never had an audi use left corner hearing lost before.
And here is the perfect example why deaf people should be raised with sign, and also learn alternative ways to communicate , such as having the Audi write it down, rather than trying to rely on their weakest sense.

Shel, it was my mistaken understanding that you were born totally deaf...no HA at all....and thought it awesome your speech was understandable, along with your lipreading....

Anyway, congrats on the decision to have the CI...at several times I was eligible but the infections were too rampant and now the left ear (good ear) has been closed off, but still have to have mastroid cavity cleanings every 2 months....

Good Luck!

Actually, I am too busy trying to make sure my students' behaviors dont get out of control. lol

You mean you don't call 911 when they get out of control ? They could be terrorists. :giggle: How many students do you have in your class?

Back