Sheriff Raids DMX' Home, Seizes Dogs

RedheadGrrl

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sheriff Raids DMX' Home, Seizes Dogs

PHOENIX (AP) -Sheriff's deputies raided the home of rapper DMX on Friday, seizing several pit bulls and finding the remains of three other dogs but making no arrests.

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office received a tip more than a week ago about dogs being kept in inhumane conditions at the Phoenix-area home, said Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Detectives visited the home and then called one of the rapper's lawyers and told him that the conditions for the animals at the property needed to be improved or deputies would take action, Arpaio said. The dogs were not being fed or given water.

Authorities returned to the home Friday.

The 36-year-old musician and actor, whose real name is Earl Simmons, was not at home during the raid.

Simmons' lawyer, Murray Richman, said Simmons hasn't been in Arizona for at least two months and was "extremely disturbed" to hear the animals weren't being cared for properly.

"We had a caretaker that wasn't taking care, that's what happened," Richman said. "He loves dogs - he loves these animals. Those dogs are practically his family."

Richman said he hadn't been notified of problems at the property until he learned of the raid Friday. Sheriff's officials said they had contacted another lawyer who works for DMX.

Arpaio said the deputies who served a search warrant at the home Friday seized 12 pit bulls tied up on the property and took them to an old jail that has been converted into an animal shelter.

Deputies found the buried dogs when they dug up the back yard. One had apparently been burned and the cause of death on the others was unknown because the bodies were decomposing.

Deputies also found a variety of firearms, Arpaio said. Authorities sought additional warrants so they could check the guns to determine if they were legal.

DMX's albums include "It's Dark and Hell Is Hot" and "Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood" and "Year of the Dog ... Again."

So? Doesnt matter who he is...he is an animal abuser or
his "caretaker" is or both of them...grrrr! They did not
take care of these poor dogs and they, for some reason,
killed some of them...the investigation is going on at this
moment..i saw this on CNN this morning...it makes me sick.
Im soooo sick of animal cruelty all over this world...
why have pets if you dont want to take care of them or
abuse them??...really mystifies me to no end!!!:pissed:

I know this is off topic...but im proud to announce this:
My niece in North Carolina is "fostering" a few dogs that
were found wandering in New Orleans after the Katrina
storm. Two of them are pitbull dogs and she said they are
the sweetest dogs she has ever taken care of!....wow!

No mean comments, please. Thanks.

I know this is off topic...but im proud to announce this:
My niece in North Carolina is "fostering" a few dogs that
were found wandering in New Orleans after the Katrina
storm. Two of them are pitbull dogs and she said they are
the sweetest dogs she has ever taken care of!....wow!

No mean comments, please. Thanks.
aww that is so nice of her adopted the pets from Katrina hurricane! As long as she treats them good then the dogs will be good too! ;) good for her!

So? Doesnt matter who he is...he is an animal abuser or
his "caretaker" is or both of them...grrrr! They did not
take care of these poor dogs and they, for some reason,
killed some of them...the investigation is going on at this
moment..i saw this on CNN this morning...it makes me sick.
Im soooo sick of animal cruelty all over this world...
why have pets if you dont want to take care of them or
abuse them??...really mystifies me to no end!!!:pissed:
I agree with you!! I am so sick of people abuse or kill the animals. You know I always watch animal preicient (sp?) on animal planet at night time. I saw alot of people didnt care for their animals. It mades me sick!! gawd!!

update

Cops Seize Dogs, Drugs from DMX's Home

PHOENIX (Aug. 25) - Deputies searching the home of rapper DMX during an investigation into claims of animal cruelty found about a half-pound of suspected illegal narcotics, the Maricopa County sheriff said Saturday.

No charges have been filed or arrests made. Sheriff Joe Arpaio said the investigation into alleged animal cruelty was ongoing, and the suspected drugs were being tested to confirm their content.

Friday's search was prompted by reports that pit bulls kept by the rapper at the home in rural north Phoenix were not being given enough food or water. A dozen pit bulls were seized, the bodies of three dogs were dug up in the yard and a variety of assault-style weapons were taken from the home, Sheriff Joe Arpaio said.

DMX, whose real name is Earl Simmons, was not at home and his lawyer said he hasn't been there for two months.

Arpaio said there was no indication the dogs were used in fights.

Reached Saturday, attorney Murray Richman said he had no knowledge of any narcotics. The dogs were looked after by a caretaker and "all sorts of people" had been staying at the home, Richman said.

"Why doesn't the sheriff call me?" Richman said. "I spoke to him yesterday - and rather than make these allegations in the press why doesn't he call me?"

Arpaio said witnesses placed the 36-year-old rapper at the home within the past three weeks, but Richman insisted that he has not been there for 2 months.

The weapons are being checked to see if they are legal, the sheriff said. Richman said Simmons has no felony convictions that would prohibit him from owning weapons.

In 2002, Simmons pleaded guilty to animal cruelty, disorderly conduct and possession of drug paraphernalia in New Jersey. Police said they found pipes for smoking crack cocaine, a pistol and 13 pit bulls at his home in 1999.

His albums include "It's Dark and Hell Is Hot" and "Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood" and "Year of the Dog ... Again."

PHOENIX (Aug. 25) - Deputies searching the home of rapper DMX during an investigation into claims of animal cruelty found about a half-pound of suspected illegal narcotics, the Maricopa County sheriff said Saturday.

No charges have been filed or arrests made. Sheriff Joe Arpaio said the investigation into alleged animal cruelty was ongoing, and the suspected drugs were being tested to confirm their content.

Friday's search was prompted by reports that pit bulls kept by the rapper at the home in rural north Phoenix were not being given enough food or water. A dozen pit bulls were seized, the bodies of three dogs were dug up in the yard and a variety of assault-style weapons were taken from the home, Sheriff Joe Arpaio said.

DMX, whose real name is Earl Simmons, was not at home and his lawyer said he hasn't been there for two months.

Arpaio said there was no indication the dogs were used in fights.

Reached Saturday, attorney Murray Richman said he had no knowledge of any narcotics. The dogs were looked after by a caretaker and "all sorts of people" had been staying at the home, Richman said.

"Why doesn't the sheriff call me?" Richman said. "I spoke to him yesterday - and rather than make these allegations in the press why doesn't he call me?"

Arpaio said witnesses placed the 36-year-old rapper at the home within the past three weeks, but Richman insisted that he has not been there for 2 months.

The weapons are being checked to see if they are legal, the sheriff said. Richman said Simmons has no felony convictions that would prohibit him from owning weapons.

In 2002, Simmons pleaded guilty to animal cruelty, disorderly conduct and possession of drug paraphernalia in New Jersey. Police said they found pipes for smoking crack cocaine, a pistol and 13 pit bulls at his home in 1999.

His albums include "It's Dark and Hell Is Hot" and "Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood" and "Year of the Dog ... Again."

*Shakin my head*...just awful!! Poooor dogs!..Im just glad that somebody
found them and rescued them and saved them! DMX rapper (never heard of
him) dont need to have pets period if he or his people wont take proper
care of them,...geeeez! And he is a dopehead too? crikey!.....
Im just glad that they found those poor abused dogs and maybe find
homes for them...

aww that is so nice of her adopted the pets from Katrina hurricane! As long as she treats them good then the dogs will be good too! ;) good for her!

Thanks...she is another animal lover in the family..hehe..just like
me! There are several others in my family too...Im proud to say.

I agree with you!! I am so sick of people abuse or kill the animals. You know I always watch animal preicient (sp?) on animal planet at night time. I saw alot of people didnt care for their animals. It mades me sick!! gawd!!

Thats why i dont watch Animal Planet sometimes if they feature
stuff like if animal abuse investigators go and check out the
reports of animal abuses, i dont watch..cuz it pisses me off and
hurts me to watch........I just cry. My hubby says.."oh shyt, change
the channel". I say "ohhh pleeease".

Ugh!!! I feel bad about pitbulls, it put in a biggest with media.

Thats why i dont watch Animal Planet sometimes if they feature
stuff like if animal abuse investigators go and check out the
reports of animal abuses, i dont watch..cuz it pisses me off and
hurts me to watch........I just cry. My hubby says.."oh shyt, change
the channel". I say "ohhh pleeease".
I know the feeling. There were nothing on TV at late night so It was the only show is on plus it sometimes interested me to watch it. I sometimes wish I am a animal cop but no. BUT I could work or volunteer for ASPCA to help them out or so. Some scenes in the show disgusted me, I had to ignore it and wait for the next one. I kept getting heart-broken when I see it.

Ugh!!! I feel bad about pitbulls, it put in a biggest with media.
Yea me too. People are too mean to pitbulls and others too for no reason. All they wanted is to have dogfighting and have some money to bet blah blah. So stupid!!!

still no excuse for DMX not to come and check on them? if he really loved them he wuld come and check on them more often? but seems to me the case is he havent checked on them to make sure they have foods n water.. yeah right! i dont believe that.. glad to hear that the dogs have been seized.. i hope the dogs will be given to good homes.. sigh...

DMX is just as guilty, don't kid yourselves. He was surprised? Yeah, right! Whatever. :roll:

DMX is just as guilty, don't kid yourselves. He was surprised? Yeah, right! Whatever. :roll:

Not to mention that this isn't the first time. He was previously convicted on animal abuse-related charges several years ago.

I read somewhere that he stabbed his mom. Sadly, he failed to feed his dogs.

OK, PLate, where the hell did you read that? PLEASE post the link!!

DMX left people in charge of those dogs. Why didn't he come back to check on them? Duh! He was probably working! He left them in someone's care and that caregiver mistreated them animals.

DMX loves dogs and would kill a person before he killed a dog (not talking about euthanasia them). I know people who raise pits and those dogs are gentle ogres! I love them . Very obedient and excellent protectors. Some of them DO have to be put down because of distemper. A caring pitt owner would not raise a dog with distemper. Its like a suffering for them AND others are in danger not knowing when the dogs will attack.

He has dogs that he fights in rings and then he has HIS dogs. I believe he used a chemical method to euthanize the dogs (unlike Vick's allegations where the dogs were shot or hung) but I don't KNOW DMX. The people I know who have to put their dogs down- that is the method they use. And then they even have funerals for the dogs! :ugh3:

Back