Shades Of Deafness

I found allot of generalisations in the article.

When it comes to so called Deaf reverse discrimination (spare me)

I see a plm in the fundimentals
in my experience of the last 30 years bieng Deaf. (Deafie school as well as galley. Also I've been around...."-)

i have seen us Deaf be rather open to any one willing to actually put an effort in and learn our languege.
and our culture. And respect us.

Now
for those who for what ever reason dont wish too. Thats all cool
but dont expect and I've seen this expectation, dont expect us to welcome you. Considering you refuse to communicate with us in our own languege.

Its really that simple
and yes
im well aware of plenty who just cant accept or fathom that

But thats how we for the most part roll..

accept our language and culture. And we will accept you
dont
cool....theres the door.

Although I was accepted by the Deaf teachers at the Deaf school a lot of the students don't see me as Deaf/HOH because I can Speak just like all my hearing friends. But I worked really hard as a child to get the that level of speech that I have now. I do have to say that the hearing world is more closed off to me. I don't joy the Deaf world often where I live but when I tell someone I am HOH they 'run away' from me where a Deaf person gets excited to have someone to talk too.

At the beginning i received that too..kids can be cruel..
but i also realized why i took the flak i did

as in the beggining i didn't know sign...and thus easily slipped into Parott hearie beak flapping...

Once i began to sign...always..and became rather good at it...the flak ceased...

for me anyway. Granted im a charmer...and slow kisser....
cough

Anyway

I can think of no other minority where outsiders seem to hold some entitlement and expectation to be welcomed fully without even Learning our language or our culture.

But
that seems to be the norm with people and us Deaf.

In the end.
if any wishes to sencerely be accepted by us
you need to learn sign. And learn and accept our culture.
that really is for most of us...
the bottom line

I don't get why non signers, weather hearing or deaf get up set. It's like yea you are deaf but came communicate with deaf signers. I had a hearing friend that was so mad because she didn't know how to join the deaf community. I told her to learn the language and culture. She asked if I could give her a free pass in or something.....really not how this works

<from above> ".....She asked if I could give her a free pass in or something.....really not how this works" <end quote>

oh wow...... :werd: :lol:

I don't get why non signers, weather hearing or deaf get up set. It's like yea you are deaf but came communicate with deaf signers. I had a hearing friend that was so mad because she didn't know how to join the deaf community. I told her to learn the language and culture. She asked if I could give her a free pass in or something.....really not how this works
Does she think the deaf community is some kind of club and you need a pass to get in ???

I am not sure what my hearing friends think. I knew one girl in high school who thought asl was a made up secret hand code and accused my of talking about her to other students. Mainstream schools...

I am not sure what my hearing friends think. I knew one girl in high school who thought asl was a made up secret hand code and accused my of talking about her to other students. Mainstream schools...
:wtflol: When did this happen ?? your friend sound paranoia ...

She wasn't a friend lol just a weird girl. Some people around me think the worst when I sign. Mostly because I can speak so they don't understand why I talk with my hands in the first place.

Alot of good replies here. Another angle of looking at the Deaf Community is, its a gigantic "support group". The trick is to find your individual "sweet spot" within it.

Back