Sexual Abuse of Deaf Students in Schools...

Abuse remains a silent threat at schools for the deaf....

And

yet the federal government has not stepped in, and many states have refused to deal with the problem or even acknowledge it exists.....

Here is a link for Abuse and Silence: Examining America's schools for the deaf

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/48233_deaf27.shtml

Communication barriers are the HIGHEST risk of abuse for deaf children... It's simply harder for them to report assaults when most adults do not know how to communicate with them....

Last edited:
Is the Deaf community trying to cover up the sexual abuse in schools for the deaf?

Hardly a month goes by without our getting bad news about incidents and accusations of sexual and physical abuse in schools for the deaf. These have been reported in dozens of schools around the U.S.A. and beyond. One of the worst cases was the abuse affecting many deaf students at the Jericho Hill School in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It went on for years before the government authorities started listening.

Some of us know deaf people who were victimized at schools for the deaf, whether by staffers or other students.

Have principals, superintendents, and Deaf leaders been guilty of trying to cover up this abuse? Do you feel that they’ve downplayed the seriousness of the problem? Even if abuse is a global problem—even if it’s not limited to schools for the deaf...shouldn’t the Deaf community be fighting harder against it?

Not only ones..
Same thing rest of other school (Canada)

Milton,Ontario, Canada
Belleville, Ontario,Canada

rest of other schools too..

Ain't easy for that situation.. Really big time..

My fraternity brother I. King Jordan was absolutely right in his comment.
Yes, rape and sexual abuse happens EVERYWHERE!
It happens at schools for the deaf yes, but it also happens with alarming frequncy at ritzy schools like Eton, Exeter, and other schools. Sexual abuse is a risk of residental education in general. It is not just isolated at schools for the Deaf. (and it is NOT a part of the regular curriculm as some mainstreaming extremists have stated)
One good thing....at least there's never been an episode of gang-rape in a school for the deaf.

deafdyke said:
at least there's never been an episode of gang-rape in a school for the deaf.

Don't count it out, there may had been unreported cases. Being sexually molested is bad enough.

deafdyke said:
It is not just isolated at schools for the Deaf.

Of course, it isn't just isolated at schools for the deaf. But the risks are higher compared to public schools because most of the sexual abuse are committed by students and house-parents, not the teachers.

The teachers has NOTHING to do with the residence, but they may prey on the children but it's more difficult to commit because there are more people walking around.

In the residence, children can't run home to their parents.

At the colleges and universities, they can because they are adults.

because most of the sexual abuse are committed by students and house-parents
Yes, I think some student on student sexual abuse is statory rape, (the type of rape where a slightly underaged person sleeps with an older person) but, I also think the reason that student on student sex abuse occurs is b/c very often schools for the deaf are seen as a dumping ground. Lots of the dumped kids may be emoitionally disturbed, or have severe emoitional issues, and since it's the end of the road for lots of people who don't fit in any where else......
Ugh...that's horrible that your friend got gang-raped! Was it by the jocks of the school? Well at least it's not a common occurance. I'm somewhat of a sociologist geek type, and I do know that a risk factor for rape and sexual abuse is a "sheep" sort of enviroment with not much diversity ....that's why gang-rape is so common in those bland boring picture book suburbs.

Cheri said:
They need communicate, communicate, communicate. Speak to the children using the proper names for their body parts. We need to teach our children about safe and unsafe touches, as well as what is appropriate physical affection. They do not have to carry the trauma alone. The stressful feelings that result from a sexual assault do not have to last forever, Victims can and do recover. But the emotional trauma of sexual assault does not "just go away." Talking about the assault with people who are supportive and understanding begins the process of recovery. Some rape victims feel that if they avoid talking about the assault, they will be able to forget about what happened to them. Most survivors who try this approach eventually realize that they need to deal with the assault. Their unresolved feelings and fears hold them back from enjoying their lives and participating fully in relationships. Talking about the assault can help relieve some of the control it has over you and help you begin the process of recovery. We recommend that victims seek professional counseling as soon as possible to begin the healing process. Therapy provides a safe, private place to deal with your feelings and concerns. It also can be helpful to talk about your reactions with friends and family members who are supportive and understanding. The School NEEDS To be there to help this kind of situation.Know that it's never too late to call. Even if the attack happened years ago, the National Sexual Assault Hotline can still help. Many victims do not realize they need help until months or years later.
You're right. Communication is the one biggest thing that everyone needs to learn to work on. Works needs it. Schools need it. Families need it. Friends need it. Everyone needs it.

^Angel^ said:
Hardly a month goes by without our getting bad news about incidents and accusations of sexual and physical abuse in schools for the deaf. These have been reported in dozens of schools around the U.S.A. and beyond. One of the worst cases was the abuse affecting many deaf students at the Jericho Hill School in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It went on for years before the government authorities started listening.

Some of us know deaf people who were victimized at schools for the deaf, whether by staffers or other students.

Have principals, superintendents, and Deaf leaders been guilty of trying to cover up this abuse? Do you feel that they’ve downplayed the seriousness of the problem? Even if abuse is a global problem—even if it’s not limited to schools for the deaf...shouldn’t the Deaf community be fighting harder against it?

Speakin' of Jericho Hill School... it was the Gov't coverin' it up for many years. The principals, superintendents and Deaf leaders were involved in all this. I've heard about Jericho Hill School's history of abuses before King Cobra posted it about Jericho Hill School. So, right now some "whistleblowers" are goin' to help deaf students to come forward and sue them. Possibly the court will award a million dollars to the deaf students who are abused by Jericho Hill School and also to have them to attend "emotional" therapy and so forth. I know it is outrageous and hard to believe. But, I am glad that some people I know are steppin' forward and tell about it. Those people that I know of are "whistleblowers".

it was the Gov't coverin' it up for many years.

True, I did looked up some website on the school for the deaf....and it does say Goverment are not doing much about it....which is sad to hear.....

deafdyke said:
Yes, rape and sexual abuse happens EVERYWHERE!
It happens at schools for the deaf yes, but it also happens with alarming frequncy at ritzy schools like Eton, Exeter, and other schools. Sexual abuse is a risk of residental education in general. It is not just isolated at schools for the Deaf. (and it is NOT a part of the regular curriculm as some mainstreaming extremists have stated)
One good thing....at least there's never been an episode of gang-rape in a school for the deaf.

Agreed about the residential school thing. I believe that the nature of residential schools cause them to be more prone to abuse (no matter the type of school).
But as for gang rape.. well.. there was a recent incident in holland.
Linky

I have to say this and then leave it as it is, its not abt the money that is a factor of being raped, its not abt that no way, those poeple whoever they are the asslauter or rapist has no means to use money they just want to be more aggressive and more mind controlled, as far as im concerned my kid if i ever have one will be a day student, I went to CSDF and there have been two cases of rape one indeed was found gulity and was sent to prison and also got expelled from school the day they found out. another involved a teacher and student, but that case pretty much was * unfounded* the parents pulled thier kid out of school and transferred her. We know her very well and she refuse to be part of the deaf community and won't acknowledge anyone that's deaf or happens to know her she will just do an about face and walk away and that's real sad. BUT IMO its not the money or underpaid houseparents or others, i belive it's the cycle and the cycle keeps going on and on in generations and using the kids as a punching bag or as a sexual venting, its just downright wrong and sad.

AUGUST 1986: Attorney general recommends $2.5 million payment to settle suits filed by former students of Texas School for the Deaf, who were sexually abused by staff. Superintendent and security director plead no contest to failing to report abuse.

DECEMBER 1988: Mississippi School for the Deaf superintendent fired for failing to protect students from widespread sexual and physical abuse. Seven current and former employees investigated.

FEBRUARY 1992: Iowa pays $550,000 to settle suit brought by former deaf school student, alleging sexual and physical abuse. State paid nearly $2 million in 1988 to nine former students making similar claims.

APRIL 1993: Two former staff members at South Carolina School for the Deaf pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting students.

FEBRUARY 1994: State begins investigation at Kentucky School for the Deaf after three staffers and 19-year-old student are accused of sexual abuse. Task force recommends changes, including upgrading employees' sign-language skills.

JULY 1996: Former dorm supervisor at Maine's deaf school sentenced to 18 days in jail for molesting three teenage students.

SEPTEMBER 1996: Former priest gets 10-year prison term for molesting six deaf boys at Maryland School for the Deaf and Catholic Deaf Center. Police investigated after one victim's therapist reports abuse dating back to ‘70s.

JUNE 1998: Two state agencies begin investigations into sexual abuse at North Carolina's three schools for the deaf; later order safety reforms.

FEBRUARY 2000: State task force investigating sexual abuse at Louisiana School for the Deaf criticizes superintendent, recommends more staff training.

AUGUST 2000: Former teacher at Central North Carolina School for the Deaf receives 45-day suspended jail term for molesting 15-year-old girl.

APRIL 2001: Maine governor promises compensation to former students of Baxter School for the Deaf, who endured sexual and physical abuse in the '60s and '70s.

MAY 2001: Arkansas School for the Deaf superintendent charged with hindering investigation of dorm supervisor accused of asking student for sex. Superintendent and supervisor plead innocent and are awaiting trial.

JUNE 2001: Gov. Gary Locke orders sweeping safety reforms at Washington School for the Deaf after former students and staff claim they are victims of a longstanding pattern of sexual and physical abuse.

AUGUST 2001: State pays $125,000 to settle lawsuit by former student who says she was raped at Washington School for the Deaf. Five other suits alleging sexual abuse are pending.

NOVEMBER 2001: Two former students of Oregon School for the Deaf publicly accuse former top administrator of sexually abusing them.

Across America, schools for the deaf have been embroiled in controversy stemming from the physical and sexual abuse of students. This P-I report focuses on three states, Oregon, North Carolina and Arkansas. But experts say nearly half of the nation's state-run schools have experienced similar problems. Some of the major incidents in the past 15 years....

Cheri said:
AUGUST 1986: Attorney general recommends $2.5 million payment to settle suits filed by former students of Texas School for the Deaf, who were sexually abused by staff. Superintendent and security director plead no contest to failing to report abuse.

DECEMBER 1988: Mississippi School for the Deaf superintendent fired for failing to protect students from widespread sexual and physical abuse. Seven current and former employees investigated.

FEBRUARY 1992: Iowa pays $550,000 to settle suit brought by former deaf school student, alleging sexual and physical abuse. State paid nearly $2 million in 1988 to nine former students making similar claims.

APRIL 1993: Two former staff members at South Carolina School for the Deaf pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting students.

FEBRUARY 1994: State begins investigation at Kentucky School for the Deaf after three staffers and 19-year-old student are accused of sexual abuse. Task force recommends changes, including upgrading employees' sign-language skills.

JULY 1996: Former dorm supervisor at Maine's deaf school sentenced to 18 days in jail for molesting three teenage students.

SEPTEMBER 1996: Former priest gets 10-year prison term for molesting six deaf boys at Maryland School for the Deaf and Catholic Deaf Center. Police investigated after one victim's therapist reports abuse dating back to ‘70s.

JUNE 1998: Two state agencies begin investigations into sexual abuse at North Carolina's three schools for the deaf; later order safety reforms.

FEBRUARY 2000: State task force investigating sexual abuse at Louisiana School for the Deaf criticizes superintendent, recommends more staff training.

AUGUST 2000: Former teacher at Central North Carolina School for the Deaf receives 45-day suspended jail term for molesting 15-year-old girl.

APRIL 2001: Maine governor promises compensation to former students of Baxter School for the Deaf, who endured sexual and physical abuse in the '60s and '70s.

MAY 2001: Arkansas School for the Deaf superintendent charged with hindering investigation of dorm supervisor accused of asking student for sex. Superintendent and supervisor plead innocent and are awaiting trial.

JUNE 2001: Gov. Gary Locke orders sweeping safety reforms at Washington School for the Deaf after former students and staff claim they are victims of a longstanding pattern of sexual and physical abuse.

AUGUST 2001: State pays $125,000 to settle lawsuit by former student who says she was raped at Washington School for the Deaf. Five other suits alleging sexual abuse are pending.

NOVEMBER 2001: Two former students of Oregon School for the Deaf publicly accuse former top administrator of sexually abusing them.

Across America, schools for the deaf have been embroiled in controversy stemming from the physical and sexual abuse of students. This P-I report focuses on three states, Oregon, North Carolina and Arkansas. But experts say nearly half of the nation's state-run schools have experienced similar problems. Some of the major incidents in the past 15 years....
Wow, that's pretty bad!

^Angel^ said:
*forgive me if I post this in the wrong place*

' Sexual Abuse of Deaf Students in Schools....'

frequent and frustrating......

When it comes to sexual abuse, deaf students are especially vulnerable to being abused by either older deaf children or school staff. These children may not be able to talk, their parents may not be able to communicate with them in sign language, and they may not have the language to be able to communicate about incidents, or even to be able to understand what has happened. More from your Guide below Advertisement

Many students have been abused at schools for the deaf around the globe, resulting in several lawsuits.

Some Schools......

Sexual abuse has taken place at schools/programs for the deaf for many years. To date, these schools are known to have had sexual abuse incidents:

**Amherst School for the Deaf/Halifax School for the Deaf, in Canada
**Arkansas School for the Deaf
**Governor Baxter School for the Deaf in Maine
**Jericho Hill School for the Deaf in Canada
**Eastern North Carolina School for the Deaf/Central North Carolina School for the Deaf (closed)
**Margaret Sterck School for the Deaf, Delaware
**South Africa - Limpopo school for the deaf
**Washington School for the Deaf - This school has been the subject of an entire newspaper series by the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
**Oregon School for the Deaf
**St. Rita School for the Deaf in Ohio (alleged)

It is not just residential schools for the deaf that have problems with sexual abuse. Deaf students in day programs are just as vulnerable. I know because I'm aware of at least one incident involving a day student.

As the problem became more widespread, special treatment programs for both victims and perpetrators were made available at places such as the National Deaf Academy in Florida.

Protection for Deaf Students

How can parents, teachers, and schools protect deaf students from sexual abuse, and prevent deaf students from abusing other deaf students? Of course there is the usual advice--tell children about good touch/bad touch, the importance of reporting an incident immediately, and saying no, but how do you address the special needs of a deaf child with limited language? Schools for the deaf are trying to tighten up security and monitor students more closely, but as any parent knows, it is impossible to be there every minute (and funding problems for schools for the deaf may make it difficult to provide adequate supervision).

http://deafness.about.com/cs/educationgeneral/a/sexabuse.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------

It's makes me sad when I read this......Knowing what is happening to our children while they're in school... :(

Minnesota State Academy had 2 teachers who sexually abused students. They are no longer working at MSAD. I had them but lucky they didn't sexually abused me.

Sexual assault is not about sex but an abuse of power, just like physical abuse and bullying....

Child safety can't be secondary!!

What will it take to end the cycle of abuse and make the school safe?

The goal of child abuse prevention is simple—to stop child abuse and neglect from happening in the first place, sparing children and families emotional and physical trauma and decreasing the need for costly intervention and treatment services...

I remembered when in the mid's 80's There were used of Paddles In Jr. High school in Akron, Ohio.. and other States. I used to get alot of those spanking from the paddle that the Principal use for punishment. where the paddle is most popular used in schools.
Paddling proponents argue that it deters violent behavior. Research shows the opposite. When the National Association of Elementary School Principals urged an end to corporal punishment last winter, it cited studies linking spanking to increased student violence! Surprised!

Yes, and the saddness part is some schools are still doing it!...

Shocking as it may seem, the answer in many states is yes. Depending on where you live, it is legal for a teacher or principal to hit a child with a wooden paddle.... :cry: ..

Paddling flourishes in what some call the "belt belt"-- rural, Southern states such as Mississippi, where one out of every ten school children is struck, and Texas, which accounts for nearly one-fifth of all paddlings in the country. Nine percent of students in Arkansas and six percent in Alabama are paddled each year. Other paddle-prone states are Tennessee, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Georgia and Missouri. Corporal punishment is allowed elsewhere in the country, too, including a few school districts in Ohio, Pennsylvania and other states. Paddling survives because enough educators, legislators and parents in these states believe it works, often citing the saying, "Spare the rod, spoil the child" or pointing to the fact that they were spanked as kids and turned out fine as evidence....

The schools believes its a better ways to make kids behave....but they do not relized it harm the child and it cause the child to have bruise on his behind....I believe its still child abuse...No one shall have the right to spank someone's else children because they felt it a better way of dealing with a child's behavior!....

What is happening to our schools?....

I still stand on my word that schools shouldn't be doing such a punishment on a child that is related to child abused!.....If a child can end up with a bruise still its against the law to harm a child by using a paddle....

I do not spank ANY my children....what gives the school a right to do that to my child when I believe its wrong to do so.... :mad2: ...

Here is URL of 'Is Your Child At Risk ? '...

http://www.nospank.net/cassidy.htm

Former students told me stories of some sexual abuse that has been going on in Utah Schools for the Deaf and Blind like about 20 years ago. After that, I haven't heard of any rumors or reports of any type of abuse going around about USDB. I wondered if they finally cleaned up their system or not.

Levonian said:
I think VamPyroX is referring to an article published People Magazine in 1994 titled Silent Screams. These are excerpts from the article, which were published in an online gun magazine:

According to Gallaudet students quoted in Silent Screams, there is as many as one rape per weekend in the freshman dorms of the campus of 2200 students. These alleged sexual assaults are by one student on another student. Or as my friend explained, "Deaf on Deaf."

One student related her story in detail in the article named above. She was a 23-year old junior and a Student Resident Assistant who counseled other students in her dorm. A male SRA suggested that they study together in his room. She agreed. When coming out of the bathroom, he assaulted and raped her. She tried to push him away. She told him "no" several times. When he realized what he had done, he pleaded with her not to tell anyone. But she didn't listen to him anymore than he had listened to her.

She was taken to the school infirmary the next day and later to the D.C. police. Accompanied the following day by a campus security officer, she had to type her own statement at the police station. The police officer orally said that her case was not strong enough to consider. There was no interpreter, no questioning of the victim, no investigation of the alleged crime.. The young woman refused to let the matter stand. She took her case to the campus administrative board and was granted a hearing. Another student present at the hearing was quoted as saying "that when the accused testified, he more or less admitted he attacked (the young woman). He said, 'Maybe she said no, but I didn't see it.'" According to the victim, "The verdict said I did not use the word 'force,' even though I described in detail what he had done to me."

I. King Jordan, the University's first deaf president, was appointed in 1988. His comment concerning sexual assault (as interpreted by an assistant trained in American Sign Language) was, "I have never heard that there is an atmosphere of fear and intimidation at Gallaudet regarding this issue." He continued, "Sexual assault is a national problem. It exists at Georgetown, it exists at Harvard, and it exists here. If a woman at Gallaudet faces sexual assault, it should not happen."

Yeah, I read about that one -- one of the women who was indecently sexually assaulted was a classmate of mine...she and I were sexually assaulted at our high school in California years before Gallaudet had that problem crop up.

I was gang raped once when I was about 11 years old...it was done by 2 senior high schoolers. It can be anyone at the school...not only teachers, but students as well. :madfawk:

(am ok in talking about it because talking about it is better than keeping it bottled up inside)

Back