Sense of smell

Secretblend

Reaction score
I got an unusual question.

How many of you can be cooking or baking something and can smell that it is done and go pull it out and it is actually done?

I've noticed I can tell that and is very often spot on!

I got an unusual question.

How many of you can be cooking or baking something and can smell that it is done and go pull it out and it is actually done?

I've noticed I can tell that and is very often spot on!

Never thought about that! But was told as a kid that one of the first sentences I put together was "What do I smell?"

But can you tell when something you are cooking is done by smell or do you have to check and see if it is done?

I can tell right away. But I also have a good sense of timing too through many years of practice, so they probably work together.

My husband doesn't have even close to as good a sense of smell, and I have saved many things he was cooking. :P

I can tell right away. But I also have a good sense of timing too through many years of practice, so they probably work together.

My husband doesn't have even close to as good a sense of smell, and I have saved many things he was cooking. :P

So you make a good team. Get him to do the work of cooking and you be the "timer".

i thought everyone could do that...i go one better i can smell if sugar been put in tea or coffee,dont know if that normal or i one off

This is funny that you made a thread about 'sense of smell' b/c I was thinking of asking if people thought deaf and hoh people had a better sense of smell than hearing people. Yeah I can smell when food is done . I had said before I wish I could hear as good as I can smell or smell as poor as I can hear.

I have a good sense of smell where I can localize a strange smell or identify that their is a foreign object in the room but for cooking, no. I am a terrible cook. My husband is the chef in this family.

I have a good sense of smell where I can localize a strange smell or identify that their is a foreign object in the room but for cooking, no. I am a terrible cook. My husband is the chef in this family.

When the landfill was smelling horrible of hydrogen sulfide the city came over with a jerome meter and there 4 men here . We all went downstairs to the basement and walked around it and I said it smell like hydrogen sulfide in a spot and no one else smelled it but the jermore meter got a reading . This happen 4 times and only one other guy was able to smell the hydrogen sulfide beside me. The other guys did not believe me until they used the jemore meter and got a reading of hydrogen sulfide . I hate being able to smell the hydrogen sulfide better than other people .

I can smell when water starts boiling in my kitchen when I am down the hall in my office.

Depends on what it is, pizza, brownies, cookies....yes. Chicken?? Or some other meat, no.

In my case, if I smell it, I messed it up! No, I have to time it off my iphone.

my sense of smell is insane. I can smell things others cannot smell. I think it has to do with the fact when I lost my hearing, I honed my other senses.

I can tell who's around by sniffing the air.

I always make my friends freak out. I used to work at a Senior Citizen Complex as a Cook. She'd work in my restaurant, and her mother worked as a nurse. We'd both come up the elevator and I can step on the elevator and take a deep breath. Within seconds I can smell her mother and anyone else who has been on that elevator, her mother had this extremely mild perfume that I could pick up. Tell my friend 'be good your mommy's here'. And she'd laughed. She was 26 years old at that time.

it's worst when someone who hasn't taken a shower for a week or so and have really bad Body Odor. Then I start covering my nose up, because I can't stand it.

there a condition when someone see a colour or number then they get strong smell i no rember whatit called

Good sense of smell

My sister (77) has been :deaf: since birth. I was HOH for two decades and have been :deaf: for 12 years (I'm 73).

We both have super senses of smell. We both smell smoke and gas long before others. We both can tell when something in the oven is done without a timer. When hunting, I can even detect when buck deer are nearby.:D

my sense of smell is insane. I can smell things others cannot smell. I think it has to do with the fact when I lost my hearing, I honed my other senses.

I can tell who's around by sniffing the air.

I always make my friends freak out. I used to work at a Senior Citizen Complex as a Cook. She'd work in my restaurant, and her mother worked as a nurse. We'd both come up the elevator and I can step on the elevator and take a deep breath. Within seconds I can smell her mother and anyone else who has been on that elevator, her mother had this extremely mild perfume that I could pick up. Tell my friend 'be good your mommy's here'. And she'd laughed. She was 26 years old at that time.

it's worst when someone who hasn't taken a shower for a week or so and have really bad Body Odor. Then I start covering my nose up, because I can't stand it.

I was working in senior housing as a health aide and was in an
elevator and it smelled liked something was burning in the elevator so I called
the fie department and came right over and I was smelling some cleaning chemical that was just used . I told the firemen I was sorry and they told it was best to be safe and it was not worry about calling them.

Back