Self Inflicted Deafness

Nihil,
Hello and welcome to alldeaf. I'm deafblind too. I also have mental health issues. I was born HOH. I became blind for psycosomatic reasons. Then most of my vision came back.
About 2 years ago I also suffered severe light sensitivity problems. I've a lot of eye pain right now, so don't come here much but I felt I had to reply to your email.

Perhaps i to mis-understand jillio as i assumed that anyone who would actually harm themselves would naturally be mentally ill or have some problems?I don't know perhaps not?
UGH! Did i not state that my deafness is NOT secondary to my Schizophrenia!I'm well aware this is not a mental illness forum.The OP asked about self harm to become deaf and as i am deaf I'm responding on a deaf forum but to you i suppose i should wander off and find a mental illness forum.And not that its your biz but yes i do have Schizophrenia and am well managing it now thank you.Ugh posts like the last one is what I'm talking about!Sorry to be defensive yet again but ignorance baffles me.

Everyone who self harms to this degree has a mental illness, but not all mental illnesses are psychotic in nature. The most common diagnosis for self harm is Borderline Personality Disorder, and the most common diagnosis for alteration of one's body to the extreme is Body Dysmorphic Disorder. Neither one of these include psychotic episodes. When one is in a psychotic episode, they are completely out of touch with reality. While a particular part of reality may be distorted or exaggerated with the other 2 diagnoses, the individual does not loose touch with reality the way someone experiencing a psychotic episode (such as with Schizophrenia) does.

Does that make my point a bit clearer?

Oh Thanks Jillio for that info. Now i do understand.I assume to at times and just assumed that someone who would hurt themselves would be psychotic but i see now what you are saying.I never heard of those two you mentioned (Body Dysmorphic Disorder?).I have seen some people who have done things to their body like extreme piercing and such that i thought was way to extreme.So self harm for whatever reason can have a wide range of reasons, not just being psychotic i suppose.Well thanks Jillio.

Oh Thanks Jillio for that info. Now i do understand.I assume to at times and just assumed that someone who would hurt themselves would be psychotic but i see now what you are saying.I never heard of those two you mentioned (Body Dysmorphic Disorder?).I have seen some people who have done things to their body like extreme piercing and such that i thought was way to extreme.So self harm for whatever reason can have a wide range of reasons, not just being psychotic i suppose.Well thanks Jillio.

You are very welcome.

To explain, Body Dysmorphic Disorder is when someone holds the exaggerated or irrational belief that some part of their body doesn't fit, or is horribly ugly. For instance, like someone who thinks their nose is monstrous, but in reality, it is normal sized and not unattractive at all. They go to great efforts to disquise it, even possibly having several surgeries to correct the "defect" they think is there.

You are very welcome.

To explain, Body Dysmorphic Disorder is when someone holds the exaggerated or irrational belief that some part of their body doesn't fit, or is horribly ugly. For instance, like someone who thinks their nose is monstrous, but in reality, it is normal sized and not unattractive at all. They go to great efforts to disquise it, even possibly having several surgeries to correct the "defect" they think is there.

Which does not quite fit people with BIID. They know their leg (or whatever other part of the body they want to get rid of) looks ok but they just don't want it. Once it is gone they are happy because they feel like their true selves at last. It's got more similarities to GID rather then what you've described above.

Which does not quite fit people with BIID. They know their leg (or whatever other part of the body they want to get rid of) looks ok but they just don't want it. Once it is gone they are happy because they feel like their true selves at last. It's got more similarities to GID rather then what you've described above.

Well, actually, that does fit with the diagnositic criteria for Body Dysmorphic Disorder. And there is no such diagnosis as BIID.

No, Gender Identity Disorder is a completely different disorder. It in no way resembles Body Dysmorphic Disorder. The diagnostic criteria do not compare, nor does manifestation of symptoms.

would ED be a kind of Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

They would seem to be related just by nature of the disorders, but actually, eating disorders are classified as anxiety disorders while Body Dysmorphic Disorder is a somataform disorder. The underlying basis of the 2 are really quite different. However, it is not unusual for someone to be diagnosed cormorbidly with ED and a somataform disorder of some type. Most with ED also have a comorbid diagnosis of clinical depression.

They would seem to be related just by nature of the disorders, but actually, eating disorders are classified as anxiety disorders while Body Dysmorphic Disorder is a somataform disorder. The underlying basis of the 2 are really quite different. However, it is not unusual for someone to be diagnosed cormorbidly with ED and a somataform disorder of some type. Most with ED also have a comorbid diagnosis of clinical depression.

Anxiety as well... And, OCD. Eating disorders have a lot of comorbities.

Hi

Hi everyone, I'm doing a research paper for my finial exam on self inflicted deafness, is there anyone here that became deaf or had hearing loss that was self inflicted? Any info you can give will be great help to me, the more info the better! So drop a few lines and tell me your story? How did it happen? How much hearig loss did it cause you? How have you adjested? I want 2 thank everyone in advance for all your info!

Hi I would be glad to share with you privately any time and you may contact me about it.

Nihil,
Hello and welcome to alldeaf. I'm deafblind too. I also have mental health issues. I was born HOH. I became blind for psycosomatic reasons. Then most of my vision came back.
About 2 years ago I also suffered severe light sensitivity problems. I've a lot of eye pain right now, so don't come here much but I felt I had to reply to your email.

Hi I am new here and welcome also. I have mental diagnoses too. Nice to chat some time.

This is an old thread , it was started in 2007 so I doubt the OP is still looking for stories.

Back