"Selective hearing"

CJB

Reaction score
Here's a question. I was having a conversation with someone today, or rather, trying to have a conversation. He accused me of "selective hearing."

Does anyone else ever get this accusation? Deaf, HOH, HA or no HA, CI or no CI. And if you do, how do you respond? I never know how to respond without going into detail about "hard of hearing" means I can hear some things and sometimes and cannot hear other things and other times.

:ty:

I'm hearing and I get that, maybe its my ADD.

I'd possibly say, "Sorry I have almost no hearing left and I missed that"

hahaha... All the time, though it's mainly with my friends and family. I just laugh, smile, and say, "I'm sorry, what? I didn't hear you."

:roll:

Is one of the unforuntate people to get that comment, along with "You are not paying attention."

:rl: I get mad! If someone is not going to take the time to understand you, and what it is like to be hard of hearing, then don't bother with them.

I use to hand out cards explaining myself being Deaf and what difficulties I have with speech reading, and how they can communicate with me, if they are willing to work with me on it then kudos to them! If not I walk away.

:D I consider selective hearing this:

Turning off your HA's and walking off.

If you are Deaf, you turn around and ignore the person.

You choose to "hear" or "not hear" what they are saying. :giggle:

"Selective hearing" means to me to choose what I want to hear or not hear. I simply tell them, if they say that to me. " I was born this way, how did I choose to be Deaf?"

Last edited:
I can't stand when people think I'm faking because I heard them when we were in a quiet room but couldn't hear them when we were on a busy road! :mad2:

I'm with you hen it's my wife or my family, then I'm cool. I know they're just teasing. :giggle:

I use to hand out cards explaining myself being Deaf and what difficulties I have with speech reading, and how they can communicate with me, if they are willing to work with me on it then kudos to them! If not I walk away.

I do this too. I hand a Braille alphabet card that also explains I'm Deafblind and need to have them point their finger to the braille to communicate.

Today someone asked me why I can't read their lips! :roll:

I would like to have a dollar for every time that happen to me. I get that "You can hear if you wanted" :roll:

I'm very good at lip reading but there are times I have trouble picking up everything that is being said.

Here's a question. I was having a conversation with someone today, or rather, trying to have a conversation. He accused me of "selective hearing."

Does anyone else ever get this accusation? Deaf, HOH, HA or no HA, CI or no CI. And if you do, how do you respond? I never know how to respond without going into detail about "hard of hearing" means I can hear some things and sometimes and cannot hear other things and other times.

I often face this issue even though people try to hide their accusitions...it is annoying .. some people think that if I hear their voice then I must understand what they say , but the truth is not that way

I often face this issue even though people try to hide their accusitions...it is annoying .. some people think that if I hear their voice then I must understand what they say , but the truth is not that way

Oh God that annoys me to no end. They start talking and I say "Sorry, I'm hard of hearing. I can't understand what you're saying."
"But you just heard me."
"Yes I can hear you but I can't understand what you're saying." There's a difference, people!:mad2: Then I give them the Braille card to communicate and explain it.

Too many people assume that if I can talk, then I must be able to hear perfectly. Sometimes now I just don't talk and point to a card explaining I'm deafblind.

I know! Make a custom card, explaining (briefly) that you are deafblind, but like many deaf can talk- this way you can educate them... It could have on it how best to comunicate to you.

Thats similiar to someone saying to me. "But you lip read, so you must understand what I am saying. Right?"

"Uh No?"

It irritates me to no end. :pissed:

Just cause I read lips does not mean I can catch everything they say. Sheesh.

I try to explain it to them til I'm blue in the face and they still look at me like this. ----->:sure:

Makes me wanna :nutkick:

When someone mumbles, I have selective hearing. Sometimes when I am tired, I don't feel like concentrating what the person is saying and i have snap out of it and focus.

i accuse of my son to have selective hearing LOL (hes only one year old so that is really perfectly normal) but as for myself no one ever accuse me of having that... probably because i am 100% deaf. when i wear CI i do hear things but half of time i cant identify the sound so when i hear it and doesnt recognize the sound i didnt react. no one really accuse me of that though.

When someone mumbles, I have selective hearing. Sometimes when I am tired, I don't feel like concentrating what the person is saying and i have snap out of it and focus.

That too is sometimes I just don't feel like spending so much energy trying to get what people are saying.

I get that too!

People will say turn you hearing aids up. You can hear if you wanted to. You have selective hearing.

Plus more ignorant comments.

I get so frustrated explaining to ignorant people that it doesn't matter how loud a sound is-- if it's in a range that I can't hear, I cannot hear it! D'oh!:doh:

My kids have selective hearing, too. They tune me out but the mere mention of ice cream gets their attention. Did I hear ice cream? :lol:

I get so frustrated explaining to ignorant people that it doesn't matter how loud a sound is-- if it's in a range that I can't hear, I cannot hear it! D'oh!:doh:

My kids have selective hearing, too. They tune me out but the mere mention of ice cream gets their attention. Did I hear ice cream? :lol:

No doubt! :giggle:

I can tell them to clean their rooms. They act like they can not hear me. But if I mention any type of treat! Their heads turn quicker than lightning! :P

Funny thing is that my husband is just like that, too! :laugh2:

Back