Seeking DC-area ASL conversation partner

TheMW

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm learning ASL and could use more in-person, one-on-one practice with fluent signers. I can't really afford a full private teacher or professional tutor, but I thought maybe I could find somebody in the DC area with some free time who wanted to make a little extra money just to have conversations with me. I can take responsibility for coming up with topics or activities if we run out of things to chat about.

My schedule is pretty flexible. Was thinking $10/hr+a drink wherever we end up meeting. Please let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!

Awesome. It can work well. Good Luck. sorry I do not live in DC anymore. THere are tons of deaf people lives there. :)

Are you in DC proper, or are you in VA or MD? There are a bunch of deaf coffee chats where you can sign with people for free. I know of another group that meets every saturday in Greenbelt, and you can always look for college students at Gally looking to make a bit of money.

Thanks! I'm in DC proper, but I do travel to VA and MD for ASL dinners and events each week. I'm just looking for more opportunities to practice. Conversations in groups of fluent signers still goes over my head, and most of my practice has been coming from conversations with ASL students.

I also thought this might be perfect for a Gallaudet student, but I couldn't find any sort of student job board or anything. If anybody has any advice on finding someone there, please let me know. :ty:

Back