SEE (Signing Exact English) is the best sign language for a child to start with..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lon Chaney, Sr is not deaf. Irrelevant of this discussion. I do welcome names of any Deaf child that grew up within pro-ASL Deaf family that ended up with excellent English writing skills before the middle ages (25 to 35 average ages) while never being exposed to SEE/PSE (or any other English oriented sign language).

Marlee Matlin started with SEE too. :p

I'll give you a clue. Check the alma mater listings at Berkley. Look for a PH.D. after several names. All Deaf of Deaf. Obviously, they have managed to accomplish much more than you, yourself, have.:cool2: And all with an L1 language of ASL.

Dude, you are either a hearing person in here to do nothing other than troll the Deaf, or you are a deaf person with serious acceptance isssues regarding your own deafness, and must put down others in order to feel better about yourself. You don't need to spend a lot of time discussing language, as you have no knowledge of that which you are attempting to discuss. You would be much better off using your time to chat with a good therapist.

I do wonder sometimes....

If you (an ASL user) wanted to make a really good speech to the hearing population, would you trust your voice interpreter enough to use near pure ASL, or would you tend towards SEE?

If you don't trust your terp to that degree, you need to find another terp.:cool2:

Another quick questions:

Those of you who are sharing opinions about SEE - are you an actual user of SEE? Or did you experience the usage of SEE? Or are you really guessing how SEE is used and viewed upon? If you used, been exposed to, or watched someone use SEE - how much amount of time did you spend time with SEE?

So far, I enjoyed seeing different points about SEE and other languages being acquired by children.

When I have time later and a better computer to type down my view - I will do it here when I can. I plan to answer everyone's question to clarify my meaning of the question and also share my opinions.

I learned SEE first in the sixth grade. I do not credit it for my English skills because I already could read and write above grade level. While SEE is fine for teaching English (IE showing the the difference between ASL and English), it's too cumbersome to be practical in everyday conservation.

...Rednecks say "ya'all" instead of "All of you". Got it?
Wrong. Southerners say, "y'all." Some of them are rednecks but not all of them are.

I can't comment on what pirates say. Nowadays, I suppose most of them speak a Somali dialect.

Lon Chaney, Sr is not deaf. Irrelevant of this discussion. I do welcome names of any Deaf child that grew up within pro-ASL Deaf family that ended up with excellent English writing skills before the middle ages (25 to 35 average ages) while never being exposed to SEE/PSE (or any other English oriented sign language).

Marlee Matlin started with SEE too. :p
If you read the writings of Deaf individuals who were educated before SEE was invented you would have seen that they had excellent writing skills before the "blessings" of SEE were bestowed upon the ASL community.

Wrong. Southerners say, "y'all." Some of them are rednecks but not all of them are.

I can't comment on what pirates say. Nowadays, I suppose most of them speak a Somali dialect.
:lol:

:laugh2:

SilenceGold, the objective of your thread is to prove your argument that Deaf people who have not used SEE as a child, or are not using SEE , do not have proficiency in English and without proficiency in English they have low intelligence levels. I can easily render your argument invalid as I learned to read and write (and yes, speak) fluently and proficiently in English without any 'helps' such as HAs, CIs, or even access to SEE or sign language!

You are basically saying that anyone who is not proficient in English has low intelligence levels. There are many languages around the world that are not English and there are many more non-English accomplished people. There are many Deaf people who are accomplished with ASL or other full sign languages, such as AUSLAN and BSL, as their first and primary language. In the short time I have been on AD, I have seen mention of accomplished Deaf people in many threads. Many of whom have posted on your thread. Stop insulting us.

Finally - we got a very reasonable response in this thread instead of immature unfriendly debates.

My ideals evolve as the time goes by as I acquire more and more information. My beliefs are never the same. Yet, most of everyone here just came here and bashed me over some certain remarks I made that rings true with facts.

It appears that you are a former oralist.

Anyways - moderators, close this thread...this thread isn't really any intelligent in meeting my opinionated statement with healthy and friendly rebuttals. There is nothing to be gained from this discussion any further.

.........and then there was silence.........

.........and then there was silence.........

Why did you say that? There is no need to reply this stupid thread. ... since SilenceGold insulted us and our intelligences. I hope mods locked this thread asap.

Finally - we got a very reasonable response in this thread instead of immature unfriendly debates.

My ideals evolve as the time goes by as I acquire more and more information. My beliefs are never the same. Yet, most of everyone here just came here and bashed me over some certain remarks I made that rings true with facts.

Anyways - moderators, close this thread...this thread isn't really any intelligent in meeting my opinionated statement with healthy and friendly rebuttals. There is nothing to be gained from this discussion any further.

insulting people's intelligence will get you that. "Treat others how you want to be treated" and you got exactly that.

No response to Wayne Betts' as an example? :shock: I'm glad I didnt waste time going through a directory of people now.

order MOD please locked thank once reading! inappropriate behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back