Second try at an introduction

if you are deaf, how interested are you in gaining a hearing friend?

• ⭐️

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dolores

Reaction score
So, ive been scrolling through some of the other forums and conversations here and i think i went about introducing myself the wrong way.

As i said in my first introduction, im not deaf, im hearing, but i am very interested in learning sign language. Let me tell you a little bit more about myself.

I have never seen switched at birth. I took an asl class and there was a clip from it shown (at least i think it was switched at birth, there was a deaf teacher in a classroom of deaf students). Anyway, i wouldnt really know because i havent watched it. Now that im thinking about it, i dont think ive ever seen a show that has any prominent deaf characters. Ive seen a couple medical shows that once or twice had deaf patients, things like that. I never watched children of a lesser God, that movie with marlee matlin. And i cant think of any other fad band wagon im jumping on that makes sign language important to me.

Ive been interested in sign language since i was a kid, mostly because i just thinking its interesting that deaf people live in such a completely different world than i do. I think its amazing that deaf people can communicate just as much as i can in english or spanish without talking, needing to listen to anything, or writing. Ive been studying on my own since my senior year of highschool, but have learned that it takes someone who fluently understands the language to teach you the proper ways to speak it, sign it. There are things you can learn from another person that you just cant get from a video or a book. But as i said before, im not asking anyone to be my free tutor. Id much rather form a friendship and learn how to speak your language while i learn about you as a person. And hopefully youll be just as interested in learning about me. I bet i could teach you things too.

No one in my family signs, but a handful of my relatives are losing their hearing, due to old age and inheritence. My dad is one of them, and towards the end of his life my grandpa on my dads side was almost completely deaf. Im currently going through the process of getting my hearing tested and visiting a few ear nose and throat doctors to get a proper diagnoses on my hearing. Ive been finding it more and more difficult to hear lately. But im waiting to get an offical doctors word before i start saying im hard of hearing.

Other than that, i dont have a "need" to learn asl. Before i started finding it difficult to hear i was just interested. And now, id be lying if i said i wasnt more in a hurry to learn just in case i do find out ill be going deaf sometime in my life. If i am, why wait until it happens to learn the language?

Many people wait until they lost their hearing to learn. Others, including people on here, never learned but are deaf. Also many people on here don't mind teaching, others come to escape. Anyways re welcome to alldeaf.

Many people wait until they lost their hearing to learn. Others, including people on here, never learned but are deaf. Also many people on here don't mind teaching, others come to escape. Anyways re welcome to alldeaf.
Lol thank you for the second welcome. Im really not trying to offend anyone or sound offputting. I really hope ill make a lot of new friends here. Teachers or not if you know what i mean.

Back