Second CI Activated

ramblinwreck

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I've had a CI for about 18 years (wow, has it really been that long?), and I got my second implantation two weeks ago. Why the long delay? Well, I was happy with unilateral hearing, but some electrodes failed on the internal part of the implant, so we don't exactly know how much longer it has before it completely fails. Could be a year, could be another ten or more. We decided to not risk going completely deaf by getting implanted in my second ear, for backup measures. I just got activated on Monday, and wow, what an awakening for my nerves, but the reason why I'm on here is because I have a couple of questions, since my audiologist is working part-time this summer and can't be reached all the time.

1) When I got activated on Monday, I put every electrode on the lowest setting possible because I wasn't sure how my brain was going to react to hearing stuff out of my cochlear for the first time in 22 years. Is it normal to be hearing just unintelligible noise right now? My audiologist did say it was normal, but I just want to confirm with actual users.

2) Whenever I put my cochlear implant on, my nerves on that side of the implant seem to flare up for a split second, but it goes away. Is that normal? Does that die down as time goes on? It makes it hard for me to want to put my cochlear implant on, but it would make it better knowing that it does go away with time. I would imagine so, since that it's the first time being "used" in 22 years (my current age).

Sorry, I know I'm asking a lot as a new user, but I first got implanted at the age of 4, and I don't remember going through any of this, so it is somewhat new (again) to me. I'm also a person who expects instant results and can be a little impatient, so this process is a bit tough for me.

Also, I might as well introduce myself, since I kind of bypassed that part, and it may help with answering one or both of my questions. I was born with profound hearing loss, currently a fourth year in college, and have been mainstreamed my entire life. My parents say that I used ASL before getting implanted at the age of 4, but I don't remember anything. Strictly oral only, and people can't tell that I was born deaf at all, so it's turned out very well for me, luckily.

Feel free to ask questions as well. I may not be on here for much longer, since I'm traveling for all of July and may not have time, but I'll definitely be around for the next day or so.

I really appreciate any feedback, and thanks in advance. Will try to respond as promptly as possible.

hey welcome

you said your implant is starting to fail. have you looked into getting reimplanted in that ear?

from what I have "heard"(im not aided at all) unintelligibly noise is normal when you first get activated.

anyway welcome

That's what I've heard too, that at first what the brain hears from a CI is just a lot of noise, but eventually it gets sorted out. I hope some actual CI users will respond to your post, too.

Are you from Georgia Tech, by any chance? The "ramblin' wreck from Georgia Tech?"

1) When I got activated on Monday, I put every electrode on the lowest setting possible because I wasn't sure how my brain was going to react to hearing stuff out of my cochlear for the first time in 22 years. Is it normal to be hearing just unintelligible noise right now? My audiologist did say it was normal, but I just want to confirm with actual users.
Welcome to the forum. I got implanted myself 3 years ago.

Yes, audiologists tend to start off slow when one is first implanted. Especially if one had either no or minimal auditory input in that ear for some time.

2) Whenever I put my cochlear implant on, my nerves on that side of the implant seem to flare up for a split second, but it goes away. Is that normal? Does that die down as time goes on? It makes it hard for me to want to put my cochlear implant on, but it would make it better knowing that it does go away with time. I would imagine so, since that it's the first time being "used" in 22 years (my current age).
Were you wearing an hearing aid in that ear before the implantation?

That although I've not had the experience as described in the post. However, it brought back a memory. That when I first got the CI and was putting it on, I used to get a little bit of a shock effect. However, it eventually went away as I put on my CI more often.

Hey y'all,

I've had a CI for about 18 years (wow, has it really been that long?), and I got my second implantation two weeks ago. Why the long delay? Well, I was happy with unilateral hearing, but some electrodes failed on the internal part of the implant, so we don't exactly know how much longer it has before it completely fails. Could be a year, could be another ten or more. We decided to not risk going completely deaf by getting implanted in my second ear, for backup measures. I just got activated on Monday, and wow, what an awakening for my nerves, but the reason why I'm on here is because I have a couple of questions, since my audiologist is working part-time this summer and can't be reached all the time.

From my experience of getting my left after 14 years of no hearing (besides having a right all of my life, check my sig for timeline), i could not understand any of the sounds that i was hearing until about two weeks later, I started to hear my dog bark, or my mom saying "dog", mainly small words that are very easy to hear.
It is normal, just requires a lot of time getting used to it.

This happens to me too, and it still does "flare" up whenever I wear my left. Its the main reason why I dont like wearing my left anymore. The cochea just needs to get used to the fact that its being used, its kinda like waking up in the morning and getting some coffee, but 14 years sleep, you arent gonna go for a run right rafter waking up.

Sorry, I know I'm asking a lot as a new user, but I first got implanted at the age of 4, and I don't remember going through any of this, so it is somewhat new (again) to me. I'm also a person who expects instant results and can be a little impatient, so this process is a bit tough for me.

I expected mine to work within a week of using it, but no.

Also, I might as well introduce myself, since I kind of bypassed that part, and it may help with answering one or both of my questions. I was born with profound hearing loss, currently a fourth year in college, and have been mainstreamed my entire life. My parents say that I used ASL before getting implanted at the age of 4, but I don't remember anything. Strictly oral only, and people can't tell that I was born deaf at all, so it's turned out very well for me, luckily.

Feel free to ask questions as well. I may not be on here for much longer, since I'm traveling for all of July and may not have time, but I'll definitely be around for the next day or so.

I really appreciate any feedback, and thanks in advance. Will try to respond as promptly as possible.

^

That's what I've heard too, that at first what the brain hears from a CI is just a lot of noise, but eventually it gets sorted out. I hope some actual CI users will respond to your post, too.

Are you from Georgia Tech, by any chance? The "ramblin' wreck from Georgia Tech?"
that is true, It is very risk 2 second is very risk dangerous second cochlear implant wreck on hearing future! I am afriad on cochlear implant 2 second serious!

Thanks everyone for the responses. I really appreciate this.

Yes ma'am! Glad you caught the reference! Starting my fourth year (senior) this fall in biomedical engineering.

Welcome to the forum. I got implanted myself 3 years ago.

Yes, audiologists tend to start off slow when one is first implanted. Especially if one had either no or minimal auditory input in that ear for some time.

Were you wearing an hearing aid in that ear before the implantation?

That although I've not had the experience as described in the post. However, it brought back a memory. That when I first got the CI and was putting it on, I used to get a little bit of a shock effect. However, it eventually went away as I put on my CI more often.

Okay, this makes me feel better knowing that y'all experienced this. I was not wearing a hearing aid prior to implantation, so I know that my nerves are getting pissed at me for waking them up after a 22 year slumber. It is on the lowest setting on my current programs on that little remote thing (Cochlear product), but I do think it could go lower on the actual MAP. I decided this morning that since I'm going on vacation with my relatives for two weeks, I'm going to put this process on hold for the duration, because I can't see my audiologist until afterwards, and I don't want to be miserable the entire trip. I hope that's a logical decision.

Once again, thanks sooooo much for responding.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I really appreciate this.

Yes ma'am! Glad you caught the reference! Starting my fourth year (senior) this fall in biomedical engineering.

Okay, this makes me feel better knowing that y'all experienced this. I was not wearing a hearing aid prior to implantation, so I know that my nerves are getting pissed at me for waking them up after a 22 year slumber. It is on the lowest setting on my current programs on that little remote thing (Cochlear product), but I do think it could go lower on the actual MAP. I decided this morning that since I'm going on vacation with my relatives for two weeks, I'm going to put this process on hold for the duration, because I can't see my audiologist until afterwards, and I don't want to be miserable the entire trip. I hope that's a logical decision.

Once again, thanks sooooo much for responding.

I found that wear it on long trips work out to be really well. Like as long as there is not a lot of talking and only music playing at low volume, it seems to work for me.

I found that wear it on long trips work out to be really well. Like as long as there is not a lot of talking and only music playing at low volume, it seems to work for me.

Ah okay, good advice. I'll be going on a road trip to Colorado right after my North Carolina trip, so I think that may be the best time to get back on track.

Ah okay, good advice. I'll be going on a road trip to Colorado right after my North Carolina trip, so I think that may be the best time to get back on track.
Another thing is that you'll probably be going for mappings more often in the beginning. Before eventually branching out as you wear the CI longer. For instance, when I first got my CI, I'd be going every 3 months or so. Now, it's closer to the 6+ months range. Although I do know of some that only go about once a year. Anyway, enjoy the trip!

I was wondering the same thing. My brother is a GT alumni (way back in the 60's).

Where in NC? I am in Nags Head right now. If you are in the Outer Banks area, feel free to drop me a PM.

Back