Scientists work on 1000+ year lifespans!

deafdude1

Reaction score
Aging Accelerating Progress in Anti-Aging Medicine Research for Life Extension

They have a FAQ that discusses maximum lifespans, possibly indefinite lifespans which they believe possible before 2030! :shock:

http://www.maxlife.org/pdfs/mbp.pdf

They have a document outlining the timeline for life extension.

FAQ | Imminst.org - Immortality Institute

Another website with FAQ for a long life.

*****I read around and they talk of curing old age. This would theoratically mean you could live forever, but in reality it won't make you immortal. You could still die from factors other than old age such as accident, disease, suicide, homicide, etc. Different websites give different figures on longevity, the concensus is anywhere from 500 years to 50,000 years. Of course by then, we will be able to upload our brains to a supercomputer as "backup" and when we die, we can have a clone or cyborg of us with our brains/knowlege/conscious. They are talking about lifespan getting progressively longer and by 2050, old age will be a thing of the past, known as Actuarial Escape Velocity

Worst idea ever. Where are all these people going to live? Mars?

Before I get to the links above, I have been telling folks for the last three and a half years since I retired that I'd love to live to 300 yrs old, health permitting.

if we are not moving out of Earth by 100 years, we will be probably getting bored to death from seeing everything and experiencing everything around the planet. Then the machines will take over and take care of us in their matrix...

Anyway I find that less surprising, given the level of progress in stem cell therapy and current medical advances. From what I understand, stem cells could be used to replace aging cells, so there is the potential.

Anyway I find that less surprising, given the level of progress in stem cell therapy and current medical advances. From what I understand, stem cells could be used to replace aging cells, so there is the potential.
So you have potential? It won't matter unless you address everything else it will affect. Can you freeways handle millions of more cars?

You're only creating more problems than you are solving by extending lives to 1000 years or even 300 years.

Remind me of that movie... where people uploaded their brains to a database and everytime their body died, they get a clone and the memories are re-downloaded.

Eventually they made so many backups of people's memories, that memories got distorted and people went mentally ill.

You know the whole degenerating "copy of a copy of a copy" thing going on.

What would happen to the Social Security and Medicare systems? Will there be enough jobs for everyone? :hmm:

So you have potential? It won't matter unless you address everything else it will affect. Can you freeways handle millions of more cars?

You're only creating more problems than you are solving by extending lives to 1000 years or even 300 years.

Potential to live longer.

I agree that there will be a shitload of problem hitting the fan after this is applied to the public. It feels too early and will be a burden on top of our current burdens.

Worst idea ever. Where are all these people going to live? Mars?
This would actually be beneficial for the near future when we travel in space.

It takes a long time to travel to Mars. It takes an even longer time to travel to other planets.

I guess it would give me plenty of time to really master some skill I am interested in.

I'd only like to live long enough to see my children as fulfilled and stable adults with a few grandchildren, just to spoil them for a bit and tell'em embarrassing stories about their parents. :P

The longer people live, the less desire they will have for mating and procreating. Studies have shown that population is declining today in developed nations if you exclude immigration. We can impose a 1 child per family law like the Chinese did. Technological singularity could occur around 2050 and super intelligant AI computers would be able to find ways to make space travel cheap, fast and simple. Fuel would come from space itself so starships can travel hundreds of lightyears. We will discover many planets to live on. Even planets that currently don't support life, we will simply terraform those planets and genetically engineer life(and ourselves) so we can live there. We will find solutions to overpopulation and everything else before it becomes an epidemic.

"mating and procreating."

Wow... you makes us sound like specimen.

People will have sex, whether you like it or not.

The longer people live, the less desire they will have for mating and procreating. Studies have shown that population is declining today in developed nations if you exclude immigration. We can impose a 1 child per family law like the Chinese did. Technological singularity could occur around 2050 and super intelligant AI computers would be able to find ways to make space travel cheap, fast and simple. Fuel would come from space itself so starships can travel hundreds of lightyears. We will discover many planets to live on. Even planets that currently don't support life, we will simply terraform those planets and genetically engineer life(and ourselves) so we can live there. We will find solutions to overpopulation and everything else before it becomes an epidemic.

That period can only happen after we undergo fundamental changes to our society, politics, economy, ethics and psychology. If longevity is achieved in our generation, we are likely to see the changes by next generation or two.

I'd only like to live long enough to see my children as fulfilled and stable adults with a few grandchildren, just to spoil them for a bit and tell'em embarrassing stories about their parents. :P

Me too. I am just worried about the moments if something happens to my boys and their future children and I still live. That will be devastating.

"mating and procreating."

Wow... you makes us sound like specimen.

People will have sex, whether you like it or not.

And we will... no arguments from me. :lol:

As for procreating, more people would be likely to postpone that as they find they have a very long way to live on.

Who could afford such an ambitious colonizing of other planets?

Back