School for the Deaf denies deaf child with Down Syndrome placement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously Jillio? I mean, really? You must only read one sentence of my posts, then jump to your conclusions. Who said anything about mediation?

I filed a COMPLIANCE COMPLAINT with the Department of Education. You really need a hobby outside of AD.

Now you are backtracking. The Dept. of Ed would tell you to take it to due process. There is a protocol that has to be followed.:roll: That is what you don't seem to understand. You seem to think that these things can be handled any way you want to, and I can assure you, that is not the case. Just one more red flag that shows that the bulk of this story is fabricated.

You said that a decision was reached as the result of a high powered law firm contacting the school system. That, my dear, is known as mediation.:roll:

You really need a hobby other than trying to write fiction.

Now you are backtracking. The Dept. of Ed would tell you to take it to due process. There is a protocol that has to be followed.:roll: That is what you don't seem to understand. You seem to think that these things can be handled any way you want to, and I can assure you, that is not the case. Just one more red flag that shows that the bulk of this story is fabricated.

You said that a decision was reached as the result of a high powered law firm contacting the school system. That, my dear, is known as mediation.:roll:

Right, there's always the red tape and the hoops you have to jump through.

Then that would be in the public records.

Exactly. And the Dept of Ed does not accept a compliance complaint until due process has shown that the school is out of compliance. Nor do they at on it. This just keeps getting sillier, and sillier.

Right, there's always the red tape and the hoops you have to jump through.

I have been doing this for a quarter of a century. I can assure you I know the process.

I never said this was the result of a law firm being involved. This students placement was a direct result of the compliance complaint. I did say that a law firm was involved if we didn't get a successful resolution through the complaint process. If it had gone to DP, we would have needed attorneys to have navigated the system. It didn't go to Due process.

Please pull my quote where I said placement was a result of the attorneys being involved. You won't be able to because it doesn't exist.

Exactly. And the Dept of Ed does not accept a compliance complaint until due process has shown that the school is out of compliance. Nor do they at on it. This just keeps getting sillier, and sillier.

You need a refresher course.

I never said this was the result of a law firm being involved. This students placement was a direct result of the compliance complaint. I did say that a law firm was involved if we didn't get a successful resolution through the complaint process. If it had gone to DP, we would have needed attorneys to have navigated the system. It didn't go to Due process.

Please pull my quote where I said placement was a result of the attorneys being involved. You won't be able to because it doesn't exist.

Yes, you did. And I am not going to waste my time digging up more of your fictitious posts. Nothing in your story rings true. You need to do your research before attempting to write fiction.

You need a refresher course.

And you need a beginner's course, because nothing you have claimed has a ring of truth to it. But keep posting. You just keep hanging yourself.

Jillio, you are really rude. If you think this makes you a Champion of All Things Deaf, you are wrong. It makes the Deaf movement look backwards, ignorant and and culture-centric...not to mention the idea that Deaf is a club where cognitive disabilities or alternative parenting isn't allowed...

Jillio, you are really rude. If you think this makes you a Champion of All Things Deaf, you are wrong. It makes the Deaf movement look backwards, ignorant and and culture-centric...not to mention the idea that Deaf is a club where cognitive disabilities or alternative parenting isn't allowed...

Can you try to not make personal attacks all over the forum? I don't know what your deal is, but you need to sign off the internet and go out to cool off.

Can you try to not make personal attacks all over the forum? I don't know what your deal is, but you need to sign off the internet and go out to cool off.

I think that Jillio calling someone a liar is very personal.

Quite frankly, I could not care less what you think of me. Audist opinions are of no consequence to me. And your opinion on which direction the deaf movement is going is of no consequence, either, as you have already demonstrated to everyone on this board exactly how ignorant, audist, and delusionally self important and superior you are.

You mangaged to cook your own goose, just as CSign has cooked hers. Oh, well.

I think that Jillio calling someone a liar is very personal.

Don't you get it? No one cares what you think. No one here even wants you to take up their cause, much less asked you to.

not to mention the idea that Deaf is a club where cognitive disabilities or alternative parenting isn't allowed...
WTF? She never said that cognitive disabilties aren't allowed. She is saying that the needs of dhh kids with more SEVERE cognitive disabilties are completely different from kids who have more mild cognitive disabilties. As a matter of fact, back in the 80's (when mainstreaming pretty much emptied the schools for the Deaf, and left cognitively disabled, and kids who didn't do well in oral programs as well as some DODA) there were tons of kids with mental handicaps. As a matter of fact, something like 75-90% of mental handicap kids are mild mr.
Even mild/moderate, as well as some moderate kids can be served pretty easily at Schools for the Deaf. We are pointing out that she needs a very very specialized program. One that most likely isn't even available at the local school for the deaf. Heck did you know that a lot of schools for the Deaf have specialized programs for behavoiral disabilty kids? That's a really common disabilty you know!

Do you really think that there are no other personal attacks in this thread? Hmmm.

Edit to add... I appreciate The Oracle being willing to acknowledge the obvious.

WTF? She never said that cognitive disabilties aren't allowed. She is saying that the needs of dhh kids with more SEVERE cognitive disabilties are completely different from kids who have more mild cognitive disabilties. As a matter of fact, back in the 80's (when mainstreaming pretty much emptied the schools for the Deaf, and left cognitively disabled, and kids who didn't do well in oral programs as well as some DODA) there were tons of kids with mental handicaps. As a matter of fact, something like 75-90% of mental handicap kids are mild mr.
Even mild/moderate, as well as some moderate kids can be served pretty easily at Schools for the Deaf. We are pointing out that she needs a very very specialized program. One that most likely isn't even available at the local school for the deaf. Heck did you know that a lot of schools for the Deaf have specialized programs for behavoiral disabilty kids? That's a really common disabilty you know!

This student is perfectly capable of achievement, and that's exactly what she'll do. She is going to thrive in this placement which will be accessible to her, and allow her to continue expanding on her natural language.

This student is perfectly capable of achievement, and that's exactly what she'll do. She is going to thrive in this placement which will be accessible to her, and allow her to continue expanding on her natural language.
WTF?!?!? I am NOT saying that the student isn't capable of achievement. Many moderately impaired students can acheive somewhat. I know the difference between profound/severe/moderate/mild MR.
But, if they do not have a formal specialized program at her level, then how is she going to acheive? Are they just going to keep her in preschool for her entire academic career? Remember the needs for a moderately mentally disabled student are different from mild, or even mild/moderate. Heck there's a huge red flag with her limited expressive sign. That is a sign she is a bit more affected, and may need a more specialized mental disabilty program. I do agree that maybe a good idea might be to trial for a month or so at the Deaf School to see if it might improve her expressive language. But her limited sign is charteristic of kids who require more intense mental handicap programs.

Do you really think that there are no other personal attacks in this thread? Hmmm.

Edit to add... I appreciate The Oracle being willing to acknowledge the obvious.

If you disagree with the screaming banshee, she'll call you an audist. Don't mind her. It's a matter of being able to be appropriate when disagreeing, and she likes to say that word to ruffle feathers. I think it is called 'the deaf card'.

:)

WTF?!?!? I am NOT saying that the student isn't capable of achievement. Many moderately impaired students can acheive somewhat. I know the difference between profound/severe/moderate/mild MR.
But, if they do not have a formal specialized program at her level, then how is she going to acheive? Are they just going to keep her in preschool for her entire academic career? Remember the needs for a moderately mentally disabled student are different from mild, or even mild/moderate. Heck there's a huge red flag with her limited expressive sign. That is a sign she is a bit more affected, and may need a more specialized mental disabilty program. I do agree that maybe a good idea might be to trial for a month or so at the Deaf School to see if it might improve her expressive language. But her limited sign is charteristic of kids who require more intense mental handicap programs.

There are many who had limited sign on AD as children because of not being taught. I think this girl is going to suffer regardless, as mainstream or general public ed has no idea how to deal with dual diagnosis deaf.

Let's all just take a deep breath. I never said that you said she wasn't capable of achievement.
This students expressive language is a direct result of the fact that she has Down syndrome. Children with Down syndrome almost always have better receptive language than expressive language. This student has made progress by leaps and bounds, and she will continue that progress. Given that she is deaf, the only way for her to receptively understand the message is through her primary mode of communication- ASL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back