School bans activities at recess

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
A rash of playground injuries has prompted one Long Island, N.Y. school to ban balls and require teacher supervision for games like tag.

"Some of these injuries can unintentionally become very serious so we want to make sure our children have fun, but are also protected," Dr. Kathleen Maloney, superintendent of Port Washington Schools, told CBS New York.

The ban at Weber Middle School in Port Washington, N.Y. will apply to footballs, baseballs, soccer balls, lacrosse balls or any other equipment that might harm a child or school friends. Students will be allowed to play with softer Nerf balls.

Rough games of tag or cartwheels will require supervision from a coach, according to the report.

Children without protective gear may experience injuries ranging from bumps and scrapes to head injuries and concussions.

The reported surge of injuries at the school may mirror statistics elsewhere in the country.

Researchers at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center reported in late September that there was a 90 percent increase in the number of children admitted to emergency rooms with sports-related head injuries over the past decade.

An August report from child safety nonprofit Safe Kids Worldwide found 1.35 million emergency room visits each year are caused by sports, the most common being strains, sprains, fractures, bruises and scrapes. Twelve percent of those visits were for concussions, with nearly half of those occurring in children between 12 and 15 years of age.

Studies suggest children need longer recovery times following a concussion or they may face additional health risks.

"One of the biggest risk factors of being injured again is incomplete recovery or rehabilitation," Michael F. Bergeron, executive director of the National Youth Sports Health and Safety Institute, told CBSNews.com in September.

This week, the largest youth sports organizations in the U.S. announced the formation of the National Sports Concussion Coalition to establish best practices with experts on how to diagnose and treat young athletes with head injuries.

However, despite the safety risks, some students and parents feel like the ban is going too far.

"Cartwheels and tag -- I think it's ridiculous they are banning that," one parent said to WCBS.

"Children's safety is paramount, but at the same time, you have to let them live life," added Port Washington parent Ellen Cohen to WCBS.

One sports medicine expert points out there will always be a risk of head injuries and concussions when playing sports or other recess activities, but emphasizing the rules of safe play and using padding when possible can reduce risk.

Recess a crucial part of school day, says American Academy of Pediatrics
"While I believe that an outright ban on the use of athletic balls during sports activities is not warranted, adequate supervision of students during recess is critical to ensure safety," Dr. Robert Glatter, director of sports medicine and traumatic brain injury at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, told CBSNews.com in an email.

CBS New York reported other school districts in the area are mulling similar bans.

N.Y. school bans balls at recess, cracks down on tag games over safety fears

Less fun for the kids to play outside unfortunately.

Oh good dear lord..... Everything is dangerous now a days! I see all these toys banned I played with as a kid for all this stuff that never managed to happen to me or anyone I knew.... I suppose the generations really are getting wussier and more stupid.

GMO food cause children weak, easy to get hurt while playing ball games/tag. When I have kids, I will have a little farm in my back yard.

Oh wow, at first I thought it was a joke. I was badly bullied physically in school including the use of balls that were thrown at me hard, to hurt - but I don't agree with what they're doing at the school in the article.
Seems a little silly.

To think that we played all kinds of games on a black asphalt playground and survived!

Yes, accidents happen but that's life. My daughter broke her arm falling in the gym, my Hubby permanently scarred his knee when he fell on a gravel track while running at school, I got smacked in the face with a dodge ball, and my grandson lost his two front teeth prematurely on the school monkey bars. That's life.

yup, I sure do remember that hard black asphalt playground!
and sometimes we even had...gasp....FOG!

I also walked to and from that school by myself, in all kinds of weather.

One thing I was good at as a child was soccer, and I think my parents had a special glasses budget for me as I usually broke them at least twice a year from soccer ball impact.

And they certainly never complained, they were glad to see me exercise and participate in some sort of team successfully.

So.......when are they going to pad the school walls and floors make foam desks and start wrapping kids in bubble wrap??

So.......when are they going to pad the school walls and floors make foam desks and start wrapping kids in bubble wrap??
Heh, heh. We inhaled chalk dust and mimeo toner in the classroom, some kids ate the craft paste and crayons, and some chewed on lead pencils.

One thing I was good at as a child was soccer, and I think my parents had a special glasses budget for me as I usually broke them at least twice a year from soccer ball impact.

And they certainly never complained, they were glad to see me exercise and participate in some sort of team successfully.

That's a sweet memory... :) From what I've read about your upbringing, it seems you had great parents.

I think that is absolutely ridiculous. I'd be pretty upset if I was a parent in that school district.

I also walked to and from that school by myself, in all kinds of weather.

I had to walk back home for lunch then back to school then back home in all kind of weathers. And kids would run and slide on the ice in the playground and fall down a dozen times or more . They would fall down then LOL and do it all over again. I am not sure how many times I fell playing on the ice.

Heh, heh. We inhaled chalk dust and mimeo toner in the classroom, some kids ate the craft paste and crayons, and some chewed on lead pencils.

And we had capped guns and bang the capped right on the sidewalk with a rock or hammer .

Last edited:
And we had capped guns and bang the capped right on the sidewalk with a rock or hammer .

Cap guns? I remember back in '96 when I lived in Nebraska, I brought a remote control shaped like a phaser from Star Trek to school, they wanted to suspend me for bringing a toy 'gun' to school, so eventually I just lied and said a phaser wasn't a gun and got myself out of trouble.

1.JPG

School systems are insanely and infintely stupid.

Cap guns? I remember back in '96 when I lived in Nebraska, I brought a remote control shaped like a phaser from Star Trek to school, they wanted to suspend me for bringing a toy 'gun' to school, so eventually I just lied and said a phaser wasn't a gun and got myself out of trouble.

1.JPG

School systems are insanely and infintely stupid.

I did not bring my cap gun to school , I was just saying we weren't so over protected when I was kid. Now you can't go over 20 mph when driving pass a school ,and this it when the kids are in school too . I think that is nuts.

i think teachers or teachers aid or whoever are supervising kids are the one who dont want to be one who are at faults. Or didn't want to deal with it?? or school dont want to pay for sending kids to the hospital etc. ridiculious

Nobody wants to be liable for kids is what this is. Kids get hurt ( In normal every day functions I might add ) and the parents flip shi**. Then it's the it wasn't me, it wasn't me well it wasn't me game, and nobody wants to be liable. I bet this kid got punted in the face with the ball, the parents flipped out and threatened to sue like EVERYONE now a days just about, so they banned balls to not get sued or some crap like that. That's what it all comes down to now a days, avoiding getting sued. Remember the lady spilling hot McDonalds coffee on her lap in the drive through? She WON a BOAT LOAD of money because there was nothing written on it saying "hot." Yes, because when I get my coffee at the drive through I expect it to be room temp dammit!!! ( Ice coffee not included in this. ) :P

Back