Scared of communicating with hearing people

horizon22

Reaction score
Communicating with hearing people has been a big scary thing to me. I often worry about not being able to hear their replies and communicate properly, which also comes by experience since at many occasions I have tried to get involved but failed to communicate with hearing people which discourages me to go and speak to them or participate in any of their group.

Please share your experiences and suggestion about how this can be overcome.

Thank you.

May I can help you? would be you how long your late or deaf ?
How do you experience on scared of communication awkward to meet to before to past?

Well, actually, what are you scared about?....We all have to communicate with hearies time to time, even on a daily basis....If you don't undy the hearie after asking them to "repeat", then take out ur pen and pad.....would that be embarrassing to you?.....Being late-deafened, my guess is that you have ur speech, right?....So, lip-reading would come into mind, but still, if you don't undy what is being said, then pen & pad would be the way to go. I can't foresee what you're being "scared" about!

Are you scared typing on this forum? Guess what....there are thousands of hearing people reading your posts.

Are you really from India?

Maybe it is a clever student getting their homework done as they are too afraid to communicate with deaf people in the real world.

Smithtr - I am sorry, I don't understand your question.

RockinRobin : I think I am scared of failure to communicate. I am partially deaf, can speak and can lip-read. That is probably the reason I keep trying for a normal communication, without the need of pen and paper. Although I do not carry paper/pen everywhere, if someone at work comes by and I am unable to understand, I do request them to type on Notepad (text editor in Windows) or use paper/pen.

But what I am scared of is to walk into a group of hearing people and communicate with them. I am scared of not able to do that or be into awkward situation, perhaps because I still have a strong desire to communicate like normal people, likely due to the fact that I am not completely deaf.

I want to be bold enough to go introduce myself with new folks around, try to communicate them but somehow I hold myself back, perhaps due to fear of failure to communicate the normal way.

Thoughts?

Green427 - No, I am not scared of typing on this forum. I know there are hearies on this forum, but in huge numbers? I didn't know that, but again, I am unsure how it will help?

And yes, I am from India.

Last edited:
Portable tape-recorder? You mean voice recorder in smart phone? If yes, then I do have it.

What do you have in mind about that? You are not thinking of suggesting I record conversation and come back home to convert it into text using some software or have someone interpret it for me, are you?

I guess so, not me. Have sm1 to write down for u or send it to u in email after record.

Maybe it is a clever student getting their homework done as they are too afraid to communicate with deaf people in the real world.

That's what I wrote in my original reply, but I deleted it after the OP indicated that he is late-deafened.

But, yes, this thread does smell like an elaborate homework assignment game.

That's what I wrote in my original reply, but I deleted it after the OP indicated that he is late-deafened.

But, yes, this thread does smell like an elaborate homework assignment game.

Well, you guys have hit a wrong note this time.

RockinRobin : I think I am scared of failure to communicate. I am partially deaf, can speak and can lip-read. That is probably the reason I keep trying for a normal communication, without the need of pen and paper. Although I do not carry paper/pen everywhere, if someone at work comes by and I am unable to understand, I do request them to type on Notepad (text editor in Windows) or use paper/pen.

But what I am scared of is to walk into a group of hearing people and communicate with them. I am scared of not able to do that or be into awkward situation, perhaps because I still have a strong desire to communicate like normal people, likely due to the fact that I am not completely deaf.

I want to be bold enough to go introduce myself with new folks around, try to communicate them but somehow I hold myself back, perhaps due to fear of failure to communicate the normal way.

Thoughts?

Green427 - No, I am not scared of typing on this forum. I know there are hearies on this forum, but in huge numbers? I didn't know that, but again, I am unsure how it will help?

Well, I don't know what you expect of any member to tell you....No one has a magic wand, you know....:roll:....I'm late deafened myself and have speech, but there is no way I could just walk up to a group of hearies and join in the conversation since I would/could not hear what they were talking about...and I'm not about to monopolize a conversation.....Seems to be you have not "accepted" being HOH and want to be "hearing"...So again, there is no magic wand for that. Think about it.i

Last edited:

Thoughts?

you are hearing? you are awkward to communication to pen on homework afriad, reason , you forums scared if you supposed withdrawl what is point, shy scared, embrassent, inside how feeling embrassment shame, why point
you are chnagelle on mind

Typing to someone and talking to them in person are 2 different things.I have seen it first handed.

To OP, the best luck.

Derek - you are right. I am way better when communicating via text, especially electronically but I still have a strong desire to participate in a group discussion like a normal person. Perhaps this is because I am not totally deafened?

Robin - May be it is me running away from reality and have not yet accepted that I cannot really participate in a group discussion of hearies? Sometimes, however it is not a desire but a necessity, for example, if I am discussing something at work with my boss and another colleague joins in and starts putting in his comments, I don't understand what he is talking to my boss. What makes me uncomfortable is that as a part of office politics, things have been said in such a setup which were untrue and misleading. Guess what, those put in bad light and my boss presumed them to be true since there were told in front of me.

Back