SC DMV agrees to policy changes regarding transgender license photos

rockin'robin

Reaction score
ANDERSON, SC (FOX Carolina) -
The SC Department of Motor Vehicles has allowed a transgendered teen to retake her driver's license photo wearing make-up and change department policies to ensure transgendered drivers in the state are treated fairly after a settlement was reached in a lawsuit, according to the Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund.

The federal lawsuit was filed in September 2014 on behalf of 16-year-old Chase Culpepper, an Anderson teen who was forced by the DMV to remove makeup before being allowed to have a driver's license photo taken in June 2014.

The settlement terms also state that the SC DMV apologize to Culpepper and retrain employees once a new policy is written.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/28...-changes-regarding-transgender-license-photos

I dont get it.
whats the makeup policy have to do being transgender, or transgender rights?
Maybe im missing something....

Likely because Chase is still legally male and has the DL gender marker as male but she expresses herself as female in the photo and in society. That's what the lawsuit and change in policy was about. Kids under 18 can't always change their gender marker legally even if they present as the opposite gender. Though I think that's changing more and more now that children are identified as transgender earlier than in the past.

Likely because Chase is still legally male and has the DL gender marker as male but she expresses herself as female in the photo and in society. That's what the lawsuit and change in policy was about. Kids under 18 can't always change their gender marker legally even if they present as the opposite gender. Though I think that's changing more and more now that children are identified as transgender earlier than in the past.

Fair...but why cant she just have her pick as what ever she looks like with no makeup, after all its not the make up thats makes one trangender, if its just the make up wouldnt that just be transvestite?
Anyhoo good for her...

dunno- I can't answer that.

And the term you are looking for is cross dresser- not transvestite- from what I know that term is insulting to many transgender and crossdressers.

dunno- I can't answer that.

And the term you are looking for is cross dresser- not transvestite- from what I know that term is insulting to many transgender and crossdressers.

Really? I didnt know that...

Seems anything could go as for ur pix these days at the DMV...read where a member of the "Spaghetti Monsters" religious group...where a guy was allowed to wear a Collendar on his head for his pix....:hmm: :lol:

To me, the rule should be your picture should match how you look most of the time, whatever way that may be, as long as your face isn't hidden. Otherwise, what's the point of a picture ID card? When you need to use it for identification (traffic stop, proof of age, entrance into a secure area) it won't do any good if the face on the card doesn't match the face you're presenting.

Really? I didnt know that...
yeah- it's a older term and in the last 10-20 years it's fallen out of favor and deemed derogatory/insulting. I think in some places it is still used though

The thing is, makeup is how this person presents herself most of the time. No one would say boo to biological female wearing makeup in a DL photo.

The thing is, makeup is how this person presents herself most of the time. No one would say boo to biological female wearing makeup in a DL photo.
If that's the driver's look, then by all means.

Back