Save My VRS

If this is true, then there won't be need of technical support. Again, Sorenson VP requires port forwarding and manually configure in router/gateway modem.

Single VP equipment (Excluding software based) set up:

Port
TCP 1720 <---- if not set corretly, incoming calls will not work
TCP/UDP 15238-15348, and 5060 <---- if not set correctly, there won't be any video on screen (black screen)

These ports are STILL REQUIRED in order for VP-200 and NtouchVP to work right. No router/gateway modem has these port pre-configured at all.

For two or more VP equipment (Not software based), need call Technical support to make adjust and configure each additional equipments.

Software based VRS application generally do not require router configuration.

So have I assisted thousands.

you didnt read my statement correctly. let me restate -- you shouldnt have to worry about setting. period. other VRS's already for years have over come this issue. for some... the router settings was the last straw for migrating to other vrs. for some is the simplicity of the design. blah blah blah...

gonna take a break from this ego chest bashing now .. go have fun. :roll:

Nothing happened 2 years ago? Not true, I was there with massive lay offs 2 years ago. I was not the one that got laid off, whew! So reality, something did happened. People tend to forget what really happened in the past and start to think as if nothing happened.

My main concern is for Deafies that don't understand technies or don't know how to set up. Who do they turn to? Secondly, I do not want see "Stand alone" equipment to be phased out. That means possible no more VP-200, no more Ntouch VP. Possible just software only which is not what I wanted. I have met plenty of Deafies that want just a VP equipment with TV that is it, nothing else, they do not want computer, they do not want smartphone, they don't want anything fancy or too complicate for them. I have work for VRS for almost 6 years, wish I could work longer than that, oh well. Because of my nearly 6 years experience and met tens of thousands of Deafies though Videophone. More than half of them aren't that technical savvy, and yes I have met hundreds of them that can not get VP at all due to lack access to high speed Internet service.

I have no object on the idea of selecting VRS providers, I think it is good really. I also have the general idea of operation cost, they are in tune of millions dollars, just in neighbor of BILLIONS of dollars. That is operational cost, if you do the calculation yearly cost, it won't be less than a million dollars guaranteed. For Text or TTY relay or even voice over (One way text with other way as voice for hard of hearing), their operational cost is far far far less than VRS due to cheaper labor cost, and less equipment required to operation them.

What I don't understand is that FCC isn't cutting other relay service BUT VRS. The other kind of relay service that Hard of Hearing people are enjoying, FCC is being generously to them. I bet that is because many of FCC employees and government knew they will lose hearing one day or other and want to have best access to relay, that is voice over relay.

The broadband requirement for Text and voice is less than 90 KBPS while Video requires at least 256Kbps, that is almost three times requirement in speed for video, that is part reason why Text/voice is much cheaper.

Sorenson VP200 and nTouch VP are fair condition. Some choppy video and some loss of internet feed. Some is black screen from other VP like Purple, ZVRS and Convo. Video callings on iPad and PC/Mac are very good condition. I like FaceTime video which is very clear. They are waste money to spend expense for VP equipments and VP installers/service calls.

Know why Facetime is awesome? That is because it is proprietary of Apple, Apple reserved their own resources exclusively for Facetime and blocks some resources for third party software which cause third party video quality to be poor. Apple is very strict with this part, in order to protect Apple image.

Sorenson VP200 and nTouch VP are fair condition. Some choppy video and some loss of internet feed. Some is black screen from other VP like Purple, ZVRS and Convo. Video callings on iPad and PC/Mac are very good condition. I like FaceTime video which is very clear. They are waste money to spend expense for VP equipments and VP installers/service calls.

Know why Facetime is awesome? That is because it is proprietary of Apple, Apple reserved their own resources exclusively for Facetime and blocks some resources for third party software which cause third party video quality to be poor. Apple is very strict with this part, in order to protect Apple image.

I remember that IWRelay VRS app use FaceTime on iPhone 4 last few years ago. Video quality was clear! but IWRelay VRS was no longer.

Video Relay Service (VRS) empowers deaf or hard-of-hearing Americans who use American Sign Language (ASL) to place real-time video relay calls with hearing individuals. VRS gives us the same opportunity as hearing Americans to communicate easily, in our native language, with anyone, anytime, and anywhere.

But now the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) wants to stop the progress we have made and are continuing to make with VRS. The FCC is considering changes that would dramatically alter the way VRS works and put many of the companies that provide this service out of business. For us, this will mean reduced access, less choice, longer hold times, and decreased service quality.

The Americans with Disabilities Act requires that people who are deaf have access to the same quality of telecommunication services as people who are hearing. Protect your rights. Let the FCC know what VRS means to you - and that you don't support the FCC's proposed changes.

It takes 2 minutes to take the action to save VRS businesses.

Save My VRS

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dJMj9mK_nE&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dJMj9mK_nE&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00vqyHqRYis&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00vqyHqRYis&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

The first few times SVRS made these announcements that 'we all are going to die soon if we don't petition', I was wondering why all other VRS providers are not doing the same....then I realized what it is really about.

Sign petition ASL

vist whitehouse.gov site : https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...age-and-language-instruction-schools/CRPw2JLk sign petition. I wish create petition save our vrs but i cant because I dont have more than 150 friends to sign petition save our vrs : ( . . . Someone who can create petition save our vrs more than 150 friends to sign petition. I will sign petition save our vrs if whoever created it. Godspeed good luck

I just watched a new video announcement "Help Protect Your VRS" by Sorenson on my VP yesterday. The deaf Vice President, Ron said that FCC plans to make our VPs nonfunctional in near future and all of us will be required to buy a webcam ("off-the-shelf product") to replace our VPs in order to make VRS calls. He made a good point that any web cam will not be better than VP regarding video quality and functions since all webcams are not developed specifically for ASLers. I don't know whether to believe him or not. There was a link from the video. I haven't read it yet.

VRS Reform | FCC.gov

Yep, I never like off shelves or webcam. Mind you worse case scenario would be, if you have problem with webcam, you gotta to call hearing Tech support which they MIGHT charge you for the services. Many of them have minimum 50 dollars service charges for after warranty technical Support, WHILE few VRS companies have technical support free of charge and Deafies can call straight to Deaf Tech support instead of though VRS.

Government WILL always cover up the negative truth because they knew they will get backfire if open up mouth. What Hlibok said were approved by somebody else not himself so he can not say anything less or more so there is twisted truth there.

Damn, Ron, the Vice President from Sorenson was right! Greg from FCC covered it up obviously. That's fucked up! I am gonna sign up now.

Port
TCP 1720 <---- if not set corretly, incoming calls will not work
TCP/UDP 15238-15348, and 5060 <---- if not set correctly, there won't be any video on screen (black screen)

50060, not 5060.

now with the ideafnews, ive watched it closely and see what Greg has to say and ive noticed that in the time mark 3:15, he was mentioning that CSDVRS aka ZVRS made that proposal to the Public Notice to be changed. I would like to get more information on that one since FCC/Greg was not really explaining much about CSDVRS, i do know that they are known for sellling the products at a price where customers would end up having to port their number from Sorenson products to ZVRS in order to get it for F R E E.

last time i checked, CSDVRS is the one who is trying to hurt all other VRS companies to get what they want. Also don't forget that NAD President is also a csdvrs/zvrs employee (correct me im wrong on that one, could be board of members for ZVRS) and then i do know that we have another Z employee/board member who also work for FCC... i find that a coincidence with both of them, that would be conflict of interest.

now with the youtube video that chevy posted with the woman talking about savemyvrs.com and its scare tactics. It did really happen with the first vrs reform where FCC would allow white-listed providers and then those providers who did not meet the requirements will not be paid and look at them, theyve closed their businesses because of that recent vrs reform in 2010. Ron Burdett is speaking on every VRS provider's behalf, once that is made, i can predict some vrs companies going down in flames because of that public notice.

VRS Rates, im not a big fan of this. whatever decided is decided.

software/hardware, ive always like the competitiveness between all companies trying to make a better product. as all we know that Sorenson is one hard company to beat with because of their in-house development purely dedicated to the deaf community with deaf friendly products. while the others are based on a third party product where it was designed for the hearing community then now converted to be deaf friendly. that's one of the reason i stayed with Sorenson because of their products being original.

i would say no to off the shelves products, i do not support that cause.

i'll be voting against the Public notice. Save our VRS! (not my vrs) we have a right to play with all vrs providers :D

FCC will not get rid of VRS. They will continue to pay for relay services so we can call someone who isn't deaf, but we should be paying our way with personal calls to other videophone users just like hearing people. Hearing people pay for a voice plan so they can call their friends and relatives. Why should we get so many freebies? If you are calling someone from the east coast to the west coast, there should be a long distance charge (or even a flat rate charge). There are programs that do give free time like Skype. Some of us have a wireless device, right? And we pay for the data plans, right? So why not pay for video calls?

As for the compensation rate, remember that FCC used to pay $14 a minute, and it's down to about $5 a minute. Sorenson didn't suffer from that cut. In fact, they continued to do even better on that lower rate.

Let's do some math:

one hour of call time among various terps = $300 an hour

If a VRS center has 20 terps working in a given hour = $6K an hour

If this same VRS center operates 8 hours a day for 7 days a week for the whole year = $17.5 million a year

If a terp is paid $20 to $50 an hour, where's the other $250 going?

If a private VRS business gets all its revenues from the government, is it still a privately owned business? Should a business be allowed to create luxurious benefits and salaries based on federal dollars? No non-profit org that receives federal dollars has ever been this lucky; they must explain and justify for every penny used, and the employees are paid crap with little in benefits.

Is it really doomsday when there's only one VRS provider making so much noise about FCC?

FCC will not get rid of VRS. They will continue to pay for relay services so we can call someone who isn't deaf, but we should be paying our way with personal calls to other videophone users just like hearing people. Hearing people pay for a voice plan so they can call their friends and relatives. Why should we get so many freebies? If you are calling someone from the east coast to the west coast, there should be a long distance charge (or even a flat rate charge). There are programs that do give free time like Skype. Some of us have a wireless device, right? And we pay for the data plans, right? So why not pay for video calls?
We pay internet every month, right? Video calls are made via internet, therefore internet fees cover video calls. Is that clear?

We know that FCC will not get rid of VRS, otherwise FCC will be in big trouble for an act of discrimination against deaf people. FCC only asks for our feedbacks on its proposed changes which are not good for us. I will leave a link regarding NAD's comments on it in my next post. Maybe you will understand it better.

Back