Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 1TB

astrotrek

Reaction score
Did you install or upgrade it on your mainboard (your computer)?
Performance is entry level as top speed is 7000 MB/s

It will require PCI 4.0 to be revelant. Its promising very fast.

My current build is still PCI 3.0 via the ASUS Rampage II Black Edition motherboard from almost 6 years ago driven by a i7 3930 6 core cpu that is liquid cooled via radiator.

The SSD's I used for almost 15 years is the Vertex 3's in 128 gig capacity times 6 individual together in Raid 5 as one big drive. ATTO has it reading a average of 1440 mB/s from stripe sizes 4kb to 256kb across the board. In other words I can load any online game map in the server and be first moving if there is no 30 second hold clock to make sure every player loads into the game and ready to begin at the same time. With those clocks I can load and be waiting with 25 seconds to go give or take. System boots from off to full windows 7 in less than a minute.

When you get into these drives I had 12, one burned up, 5 are spares and are future installed into the next computer build now being planned. That will total 10 to 14 of these SSD's from Vertex 3 via new old stock on the west coast. I dont know what ATTO will generate in read and write with a bigger 1.5 tera capacity raid 5 But I already am generating speeds moving data faster than my fast DSL can feed in downloading for example.

The only way to get data to and from the net faster is to Tether the Smartphone USB direct to the computer and then access one of the tower's Fiber Optic connections that then moves beyond the DSL 800kb.sec cap to around 6mb/s down and almost that fast up. My SSD's currently will choke on it. SO I will be having to plan for much faster SSD's in terms of read and write speeds. Fiber Optic direct to computer connections in home does exist now in Little Rock and my ISP is slowing building it out to where I live. It will be a few years yet. It already exists however the DSL has been cheaped out 20 years ago when they used metal wiring between neighborhood nodes on fiber to individual homes. Which was a bad mistake on their part. Now they will have to go through and replace all those homes with pure fiber optic straight in.

Cable does not compete. The old cables inside my building date to the late 80's and are rotted out. Or rusted actually. All of it will have to be yanked and replaced before you can get cable internet which has to be shared by the whole community rather than just a private dedicated connection.

Last year when schools closed and bought all students laptops and the area connected them all to the internet for free (Around 10,000 give or take) and told them to be online in real time video with live sound two way cameras and so on over the internet at my local area's Datacenter, they realized that there isnt enough capacity so they have been beefing it to the regional backbone fiber optic between St Louis (And eventually Chicago) and Dallas-LA Routing) to keep up.

My first raid system was using four Raptor 150 10K rpm hard drives enterprise Black. Meaning that they will be reliable for a very long time over normal hard drives coded in other colors like Green for cheap Eco crap to red or plain for regular drives not used in reliability applications. One died and we were in Raid zero in those days 20 years ago. Raid zero was almost as fast as the SSD's I use now. I still have three of them on the shelf. One had developed a click of future death as it burns out. They have over 10 years of 24/7 computer time on them.

I built my own systems for 15 years as a way to learn new skills after trucking. And realized that you can always upgrade and build new systems as motherboards move through each generation of the associated parts such as Memory, CPU, SSD's, Video cards in particular (Current ones are pending replacement but due to chip shortage none are availible for about a year the Nvidia 3080 is about 3500 dollars each. I need at least two. Im running four in this system from 15 years ago and they are getting long in the tooth finally as we approach the cusp of 4K video which is really huge and will demand FASTER Drives, FASTER cards, FASTER motherboards and Faster memory to keep them flowing without stuttering or waiting.

For comparison to where we are headed now, I remind you of the early IMAX technology which is 70mm film run sideways at about 5 miles a second of film through the projector. The resulting image is on a several story high view screen too wide to take in by eye. The image is about 12000 lines or in modern speak 12k video. That was late 80's when the Maryland Science Museum had the first one built there. 40 years ago.

Once the fiber builds out across the USA and everyone is on light speed both fiber cable and wireless to a tower with one or even faster at 5G (Thats another problem entirely) everyone will be in 4K or bigger video formats. But we are not there yet. at 12K the movie "The Dream is Alive" showing the view from the space shuttle window coming in to land in Florida you could see every individual blade of grass next to the runway from a mile up on final approach. Today's You tube is not yet capable of playing back in it's natural 12K format. there is nothing in any home fast enough, big enough or even able to process such huge digital files. That will happen in a few years when the new Quantam computing (Means many... instead of one CPU, you have several for example and potentially share the load with other computers in your area over the internet that are not doing any work at that moment.)

To have the fastest, latest and greatest is never ending. My system was at one time years ago one of the top in the State. However it's very old and ancient now in computer terms at 6 years old. I have another computer that i built 16 years ago for the ex thats still running to this day on it's original CPU (Intel four core, which is about 130,000 hours give or take.) and that machine is finally due to be rebuilt or essentially replaced with similar componets for the next 15 years work in her home.

5G is coming and only for those who can afford it. Unfortunately 5G resides in the realm of nuclear bombs that emit radiation towards Gamma Band. If you were to take a 5G antenna and made it big and strong enough to take a certain amount of big electric power, you can microwave people to death. So it has applications as a military weapon and is used as such. But not yet recorded as having been in battle yet. The 5G internet for smart phones etc is such a lower power that it really does not hurt anything. However we are learning that it might be better not to have it because it eventually does create problems over a very long time in humans. SO its all up in the air.

I look forward to using these very fast SSD's in the next build. The software and operating systems and revelant data in the future (Say 10 years) will become so big you will find that you need to be truly fast to watch a movie without pauses, stuttering or problems with it. So I look forward to it.

Back