Same/Similar Sign - Different Meanings

BecLak

Reaction score
Comparing Auslan (Australian Sign Language) to ASL (American Sign Language) there are several similar signs but they have different meanings for example, to name a few:

Auslan "where" is the same sign as ASL "what"
Auslan "what" is the same sign as ASL "where"
Auslan "die" is the same sign as ASL "egg"

:lol:

Does anyone know of any other similiar signs that have different meanings in their sign language?

Bug and orgasm in ASL is prob the most ironic to me, simply because a sign a child uses so often being very close to something sexual.

In my region the signs for "terrific" and "terrible" are the same, but have different facial expressions. The sign is used in ASLpro under the word "terrible". If you smile and use the sign, it means "terrific". (The sign used in ASLpro for terrific is what we use for "wonderful".

Context is everything in those situations....

Also, the Auslan signs for "what" and "where" are commonly used here for the same thing. Also, the the Auslan sign "where" can be used in ASL to mean "who", "what", "when", "where", "why", and sometimes "how".

Code:
Context is everything in those situations...

Facial expressions are what is important here. If someone asks what your opinion is of something, the facial expression determines what the sign means.

OK, I am learning ASL, am Polish so English in general is my 2nd language. My question is: if I sign in ASL with, let's say, Spanish is it possible for us to understand each other, more or less?

OK, I am learning ASL, am Polish so English in general is my 2nd language. My question is: if I sign in ASL with, let's say, Spanish is it possible for us to understand each other, more or less?

There is International Sign Language, although I don't think it is that successful.

But in answer to you question, it is really a lot as if you asked, "Hey, if I speak Polish to an English speaker, is it similar enough that they will understand me?"

There is International Sign Language, although I don't think it is that successful.

But in answer to you question, it is really a lot as if you asked, "Hey, if I speak Polish to an English speaker, is it similar enough that they will understand me?"
That Gestuno, not widespread use except at international conferences, maybe.

That makes sense of course, O have just thought that maybe some sighns are similar among different sign languages. Thank you for your answer.:wave:

BSL "Hearing" is the same sign as ASL "Deaf". Saw that few times on Youtube and videos links from here in ASL with captions on.

Not sure what ASL sign is for Hearing.

Bug and orgasm in ASL is prob the most ironic to me, simply because a sign a child uses so often being very close to something sexual.

I always thought that one was weird. I'm always careful too when I sign thirsty. :hmm:

It's much easier to sign to a foreigner than an american. just letting you know.

They're more open to different communication methods than Americans. Americans are so uptight with English.

Forgieners are exposed to different languages on a daily basis (especially in europe) so they have the ability to adapt and understand more.

Yourself being polish - i would expect you to see what i mean.. :)

Enjoy.

It's much easier to sign to a foreigner than an american. just letting you know.

They're more open to different communication methods than Americans. Americans are so uptight with English.

Forgieners are exposed to different languages on a daily basis (especially in europe) so they have the ability to adapt and understand more.

Enjoy.

Yep it is same with Brits too. They are poor in other languages and no interest in them (there are some that do). Too fixed on English and expect foreigner to speak English.

It's hungry & desire that I worry about alot. One time my son tried to say that he was very hungry, lol he had just learned the sign. I burst out laughing he was around 6 at the time.
Date & Meet is another sign that got me once. I meant 'Nice to meet you' and signed 'Nice to date you.' Humorous but kinda embarrassing.

Enjoy.

True, I can only agree with you, it's much easier for me aslo to learn ASL as I understand some " grammar" terms used while learning due to the fact that I also teach English. You also can't imagine how ASL is helpful in teaching, people normally respond better to body language so for me it's win - win situation. I'm not only learning another "foreign" language, but also use simple signs to teach ppl English. I just hope to be able to use ASL in the future. Once I met a Norwegian deaf man, who didn't speak any English, I can't speak Norwegian, my ASL is limited, but we could manage to have a very simple conversation. It made me believe I can do it!

Yep it is same with Brits too. They are poor in other languages and no interest in them (there are some that do). Too fixed on English and expect foreigner to speak English.

You are touching a general problem of native English speakers, hearing or deaf, I believe. As I don't know, yet, any deaf American, I can only say that hearing people from English speaking countries are a bit of ingnorants as far as languages are concern. They assume that everybody should and speak English. Of course English is the most popular language in the world, no doubts about it, but sometimes people just think that the others have an obligation to know it. Anyway, I can't imagine how hard it must be for a deaf person to travel around the globe, esp in the countries where English is not spoken widely.

It's hungry & desire that I worry about alot. One time my son tried to say that he was very hungry, lol he had just learned the sign. I burst out laughing he was around 6 at the time.
Date & Meet is another sign that got me once. I meant 'Nice to meet you' and signed 'Nice to date you.' Humorous but kinda embarrassing.

Such things happen to everybody in any kind of the language, as a teacher I can tell you some examples of misused words, like " sheet" and "shit":) :cool2:

Back