Runaway cow captured after 3 months on the run

AJWSmith

Reaction score
Now for some udder news you may not have seen

BBC News - Bavaria: Fugitive German cow Yvonne gives herself up
img9451_box.jpg

Bavaria: Fugitive German cow Yvonne gives herself up

A cow called Yvonne who made headlines in Germany has given herself up after three months on the run.

Yvonne escaped from a farm in Bavaria, just before she would have been sent for slaughter. Efforts to recapture her failed and she roamed free in forests. But after finally turning up again on Thursday, the future is looking bright for the daring six-year-old dairy cow.

She has been bought by an animal sanctuary and will live out her years alongside other members of her family. The Gut Aiderbichl sanctuary paid 700 euros (£617) to take Yvonne off the hands of her former owners - and has taken the lead in finding her. A spokeswoman said they got a call from a farmer near Muhldorf on Thursday and staff were able to confirm the cow was indeed Yvonne by her ear tag. She has since been transported to their sanctuary at Deggendorf in Bavaria, where she was reunited with her two-year-old son Friesi and her sister Waltraud - whom the sanctuary also tracked down and bought. "She arrived at ten this morning and was met by her son Friesi, whom she recognised," the spokeswoman said. "She is calm and doesn't appear to have suffered in any way from her adventures".

Waltraud was with Yvonne when she charged through a 4,000-volt electric fence of a farmyard in southern Bavaria in late May. Waltraud returned the next day, but Yvonne carried on, apparently living alongside a herd of deer and foraging with them at night. She managed to evade a shoot-to-kill order that was ordered after she bolted in front of a police car.

The Gut Aiderbichl sanctuary used both Waltraud and a breeding bull called Ernst to try to entice Yvonne to give herself up, but to no avail. The cow's plight became a popular topic in German newspapers and TV - and she was dubbed the "the cow that wants to be a deer" and "the heroine of the summer".

But even though Yvonne may not be in the headlines quite so much now she has been captured, she will not be out of sight. The Gut Aiderbichl sanctuary in Deggendorf is open to the public, and staff hope she proves to be a popular draw.

She earned her freedom, but to them, I guess not. She's on the way to the slaughterhouse. Well, maybe not anymore.

"You Go...Girl"!!...(Yvonne)....Glad she's safe and reunited with her "family"...brings tears to my eyes that she was about to be slaughtered!...She was a "fighter" for her Life...and smart enuf to get out of that fence....So..."MOO, MOO, MOOOOO" Yvonne!...You Go, Girl!

Yay for Yvonne! Now she will do do something heretofore unheard of: die of old age. :lol:

Last edited:
I say let her live out her days on the sanctuary. Cows have proven to be trainable, but they will also be independent and determined - just as Yvonne the cow showed the Germans.

She looks like a Simmental breed of cow - which is a German breed. There are German lines and American lines of this breed, each has their own distinctions.

When I was very young, we had a steer that would not get onto the truck to the slaughter house. While my dad worked around the barn and yard, the steer would come up to him and put his head on his shoulder as if to look at what he was doing. So when the steer refused to go onto the truck, My dad went in and started banging on the far end with a hammer and sure enough, the steer walked onto the truck to see what he was doing. My dad said that was the hardest thing to do (to give up that steer). We of course ate him (the steer not my dad) after that.

When I was very young, we had a steer that would not get onto the truck to the slaughter house. While my dad worked around the barn and yard, the steer would come up to him and put his head on his shoulder as if to look at what he was doing. So when the steer refused to go onto the truck, My dad went in and started banging on the far end with a hammer and sure enough, the steer walked onto the truck to see what he was doing. My dad said that was the hardest thing to do (to give up that steer). We of course ate him (the steer not my dad) after that.

Bon appetit! :|

Back