Run for Your Lives, Ivan is here!

tekkmortal

Reaction score
Ivan's New Path Targets Alabama-Mississippi Coast
Jeanne Forms In Atlantic
POSTED: 11:16 am EDT September 14, 2004
UPDATED: 12:39 pm EDT September 14, 2004

The latest path of projected movement from the National Hurricane Center continues to put Hurricane Ivan's landfall in the U.S. near Mobile Bay on Thursday morning, according to Local 6 News.

:-o

Early Tuesday, computer models jogged Hurricane Ivan's track west and showed the storm possibly hitting the U.S. as a Category 4 storm this week.

Ivan is moving between two big blocking wedges of high pressure that will keep it on its west-northwest track, Sorrells said.

At 11 a.m. Tuesday, Ivan was centered about 435 miles south-southeast of the mouth of the Mississippi River and about 470 miles south of Panama City Beach. It was moving north-northwest at 8 mph.

A forecaster at the National Hurricane Center in Miami says Ivan could hit "anywhere from the Florida panhandle to Louisiana." People are fleeing the coasts of Alabama and Florida's Panhandle while, in Mississippi, people are stocking up on water and canned goods.

Ivan Begins Trek Toward U.S. Coast

A hurricane watch has been posted along a 420-mile stretch from the Florida Panhandle to Morgan City, La., in anticipation of Hurricane Ivan's landfall sometime Wednesday or Thursday.

Ivan has entered the Gulf of Mexico packing maximum sustained winds of near 140 mph.

The National Hurricane Center said gusts are even higher and Ivan remains an "extremely dangerous" Category 4 hurricane.

A hurricane warning remains in effect for the western tip of Cuba -- the city of Havana and the Isle of Youth. Western Cuba, home to the country's tobacco fields, has been battered by powerful winds. Heavy flooding is expected. The hurricane warning likely will be discontinued later in the day.

The mayor of New Orleans is telling residents to "seek higher ground" as Gulf states from Louisiana to Florida prepare for Hurricane Ivan's landfall. St. Charles Parish outside of New Orleans has issued a mandatory evacuation order.

Others in the state are leaving voluntarily, with one tourist saying he didn't want to take any chances. The owner of a motel along the watch area says all of her guests have left.

Ivan is moving toward the north-northwest near 8 mph, and this general motion is expected to continue for the next 24 hours.

Maximum sustained winds have decreased to near 140 mph, with higher gusts. Ivan is an extremely dangerous Category 4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale. Fluctuations in intensity are common in major hurricanes and are expected over the next 24 hours.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 100 miles from the center, and tropical storm-force winds extend outward up to 260 miles.

Rainfall amounts of 8 to 12 inches, possibly causing life-threatening flash floods and mud slides, can be expected in association with Ivan.

Ivan Blamed For At Least 68 Deaths

The most powerful storm to ever hit the region has killed at least 68 people in seven islands or countries in the Caribbean.

One official in southwest Cuba said the winds from Hurricane Ivan sounded like the end of the world. The powerful storm has buffeted Cuba's western tip. President Fidel Castro said Monday night that his country won't accept a penny of U.S. hurricane relief.

Trucks and city buses shuttled in and out of poor, coastal neighborhoods in Cancun, Mexico, to move residents to higher ground. Mexican authorities are pleading with coastal residents to to abandon their homes. There are fears that storm-related gusts and downpours could trigger flash flooding.

Ivan Targets Northern Gulf Coast

A forecaster at the National Hurricane Center in Miami said Ivan could hit "anywhere from the Florida panhandle to Louisiana." People are fleeing the coasts of Alabama and Florida's Panhandle while, in Mississippi, people are stocking up on water and canned goods.

Forecasters issued hurricane watches Monday night for portions of the U.S. Gulf Coast. The central pressure keeps dropping, and Ivan could grow a bit stronger in the short term.

Meanwhile, there's a new tropical depression that's formed near the island of Guadaloupe. Forecasters have posted tropical storm warnings for Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The system is predicted to become Tropical Storm Jeanne on Tuesday.

Oil and natural gas producers have evacuated rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, and traffic along the Alabama shore is congested in both directions, with many fleeing the beach and others making storm preparations.

In Jamaica, thousands of people running out of food have jammed shelters. Many roads are impassable.

sounds worse than Hurricane Andrew was back in 1995...I think.

i live in alabama but i am in the north... hope everything will be ok here.. :(

Oy Vey, sounds pretty crazy!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope my friend Cat who lives in La is going to be okay since her family's thinking about evacuating.

TweetyBird said:
i live in alabama but i am in the north... hope everything will be ok here.. :(

Hope u can survive with heavy raining around ur home.

:shock:

Attachments

• ivan.gif
    ivan.gif
    91.5 KB · Views: 6
Dang! So many hurricanes in such a short period of time! :shock:

Sounds similar to during the Cyclone season in the Northern Territories and Western Australia -- more of where Darwin is -- in NT. During the cyclone season, there are at least 4 or 5 cyclones that hit the area in short successions of time. Scary, but that's part of nature, I reckon.

Sure hope everyone in Florida are OK and will be evacuated in time.

With the lastest news developements...they're (U.S. National Hurricane Center) even saying that if New Orleans sustains a direct hit from hurricane Ivan....much of the flood-prone city will be under water for weeks....this is sure a very dangerous storm and my thoughts and prayers go all out to the many people along the coastal areas under the hurricane warnings....

Back