router

OldNavyGirl

Premium Member
Reaction score
if you already have wire router -- why do we have to buy wireless router if u want to share two computers in different room?

whats wrong with PCI adapater with wire cable? doesn't they have wireless cord for linksys router that isn't wireless?

yes i'm being stupid haha... i'm just clueless and want to understand how it works differently...

There are several reasons, some for safety, some for reducing the eyesore with wires running across the room, etc. I had to deal with somebody who lives in condo do NOT allow another hole to be drilled for networking so stuck with option of wireless because she do not want to trip over the cable.

There are pros and cons with wireless networking. My house, it is totally wired and every room has its own ethernet wall jackets! :-D

*cough* I have wireless Dlink works beauty as well.... for my daughter and son are using two computers seprate.. *purring sound good*

It's really just a matter of preference when you get right down to it. Like diehardbiker said, with wired you don't have to run jacks in every room you need a connection or have cables running throughout your house. Wired is alot cheaper and more reliable than that of wireless(except if you pay someone to install jacks in each room)

It's really just a matter of preference when you get right down to it. Like diehardbiker said, with wired you have to run jacks in every room you need a connection or have cables running throughout your house. Wired is alot cheaper and more reliable than that of wireless(except if you pay someone to install jacks in each room)

Sorry for the confusion, I removed the word "don't" :rl:

Wireless Router

I have Belkin 54G wirelss router. Got it free from friend for fixing his car LOL.. It works fine with my wireless laptop. Before I got a new laptop. I have tried $35 Belkin 54G wireless PCMCIA (cardbus) from Walmart for old Dell Latitude CSxH laptop and it works great. This card stays online all day without disconnection.

MY bad experience with Belkin 54G Wireless USB adapter and Belkin 54G PCI adapter card. It was for my fast desktop PC with USB 2.0. It is poor quality and cannot stay connected more than 5 to 10 min of usage. I even tried to turn off power saver in hardware configuration ect. None worked. Friend had same Belkin PCI card too and had experienced same problems.

MY other friend had Linksys 54G router with Linksys 54G PCI card and it works nicely and stays online ALL DAY!! So It depends on what brand you use.

So it's kinda like mix or match for router. Belkin Router works well with VPx00 and does not have any problem with any brands of wireless laptop or wireless adapters. Different brands wireless router vice versa..

Personally, I prefer go wireless so I can get around the house or outside with my laptop. Wired connection are somewhat like chained slave and safety hazard if tripped over. It limit your range if you don't have enough wire length.

For Wireless, You can do webcam chat wirelessly and have a "home tour" or play "barn storming airplane" in backyard on webcam to amuse your friend as long as you are within wireless range LOL.:ty:

Be sure that you set WEP or WPA-PSK whatever encryption to guard your wireless from outsider especially your neighbor borrows ur wireless or anyone doing "wardriving" (driving through neighborhood using wireless laptop run on battery or inverter to find "unsecured" wireless router to connect to just to check email or use mapquest to find directions or maybe AIM chat with other deafie. It's not illegal but can draw out network speed which may be annoying. Done this Done that LOL).

The advantage for wireless is that you can move around your wireless desktop or laptop to any room as long as within signal location. If one room have weak signal, You can move wireless router to different location like moving it away from A/C metal duct or anything that are big pieces of metal that blocks or weakens signal. Move away from windows Or transfer to middle floor. It'll help signal better. Even using taller antenna for router will do. This would mean no more worry about wiring up complicated ethernet cable and drilling and damage walls or floors ect.

Be sure that you can re-name SSID so your neighbor's and your router will be reconizeable if your neighbor happen to have exact same wireless router. So that you can set your own wireless router for your connection without problem. DONT FORGET TO change or add password on Router Admin setting so that neighbor's kid won't break into your router and change it. Happens to my friend who got first Wireless router. Penny for thought.

Good Luck!!
Catty

Back