Router Issues

Wolfboy

Reaction score
I need some help here with this Linksys router. I have WRT54G v3.1 router and its pissing me off alot lately for a couple months. I have rebooted this thing so many times to the point that is really ridiculous. Slow connections, cannot displayed site, broken pics, ect. I mean my god man im really pulling my hair out for this crap. It works fine when I rebooted it. Then a couple hrs or days it went to this crap again. What the hell is wrong with this thing?! I check the net to see this problems and they recommended to update to the latest firmware. It worked for a month then it crapped out again. I seen third parties firmware but I want to hear from you guys before I do this. Please for the love of god help me! (Yea I snapped for the first time in my life. :eek3: )

Ps: I was lucky enough to get this thread working. It took me 10 mins to show this. :|

It seems to be your internet working fine when you post here? What kind of connection are you using phone, DSL or Cable? Possibly you can reset DHCP in web configuration will return to default? I used D-Link. But yours is different from mine. Possible similar method will work like web configuration? Only one computer are you using or more than your computer and vp?

It seems to be your internet working fine when you post here? What kind of connection are you using phone, DSL or Cable? Possibly you can reset DHCP in web configuration will return to default? I used D-Link. But yours is different from mine. Possible similar method will work like web configuration? Only one computer are you using or more than your computer and vp?

Internet is fine. Its just that the router is not letting it thru like normal connection. Right now the dsl is connected straight to my computer. I dont know much about DHCP. The settings is on PPPOE. Im not sure what you mean by your last question. We have 2 computers one is mine and one is my sister's. She has the wireless adapter (she is bitching at me about this right now)

Problem I don't have experience with PPPoE for DSL. Possible diehardbiker will help you to resolve. he is busy! you can PM him.

NAT stands for "network address translator", which allows several computers to share one Internet connection. Each computer in your local area network or LAN is given an internal IP number. Each computer needs a LAN IP address so that the NAT can keep track of where the web requests came from. It then takes all the web requests and pretends to be the WAN IP number your provider assigned. Basically, it translates your LAN IP number into your WAN IP so that all the LAN IP numbers appear as your WAN IP number. That way all your LAN computers can access the Internet.

Linksys router have Setup Wizard. You can try http://192.168.1.1/ and you will see web configuration. If it does not have password you not change yet. Username would be,"admin" and default password would be "admin"

And then you will see there.

Before we can help we need some more info about the way you are using it, and the way it is setup.

My first recommendation is to go ahead and upgrade your Linksys firmware. Be sure to write down all the current configurations before you do any sort of upgrades just to be on the safe side. Since you are using a DSL, make sure you have your DSL set to Bridge mode and disable DHCP. Let your Linksys do all the DHCP'ing.

DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. There are two different ways that IP addresses is assigned. First, it is called DHCP as I just mentioned, it is a server that assigns unique IP address to any devices that needs IP address. On other hand, there is other type if IP assignment which is called Static IP, and that is something that you need to manually set up IP address on your devices that needs an IP address. Almost all routers have both, DHCP and Static IP address. Even "Static-DHCP" too! As for PPoE, and other DSL related configuration, it is really router's job to deal with that. When Router took care of it, and any devices that is connected to the router other than the cable modem or DSL modem generally having their IP addresses assigned by router using DHCP method, OR you can manually assigned each of your device using static IP address method. For me, I use "static-DHCP" method, meaning I assigned each device using their MAC address to specific IP addresses that I wanted them to use, then set the rest of Device on DHCP. After that is done, I just turn everything on and forget it. It worked so well for me.

Internet is fine. Its just that the router is not letting it thru like normal connection. Right now the dsl is connected straight to my computer. I dont know much about DHCP. The settings is on PPPOE. Im not sure what you mean by your last question. We have 2 computers one is mine and one is my sister's. She has the wireless adapter (she is bitching at me about this right now)

Yea, that is cheapest way to test, but note: do NOT ever turn off while upgrading the firmware, if this happens... Kiss that router goodbye!

My first recommendation is to go ahead and upgrade your Linksys firmware. Be sure to write down all the current configurations before you do any sort of upgrades just to be on the safe side. Since you are using a DSL, make sure you have your DSL set to Bridge mode and disable DHCP. Let your Linksys do all the DHCP'ing.

Wierdest thing just happend today. I was going to upgrade the firmware. In order to upgrade the firmware I have to reset it first then upgrade it. As I reached to the reset button I got shocked like a static shock. I thought I killed it but when I check my pc the internet speed is back to normal. I have left it on all day and it still a normal connection speed. In fact it runs better than before. I dont know what just happend. That little static shock fixed it. :shock:

Hopefully it will stay like this in the next day or the rest of the week. :fingersx:

Yea, that is odd! Usually one static shock can permanetly damaged to any electronic devices.
Glad you got it going once again. If it works, just leave it alone

Wierdest thing just happend today. I was going to upgrade the firmware. In order to upgrade the firmware I have to reset it first then upgrade it. As I reached to the reset button I got shocked like a static shock. I thought I killed it but when I check my pc the internet speed is back to normal. I have left it on all day and it still a normal connection speed. In fact it runs better than before. I dont know what just happend. That little static shock fixed it. :shock:

Hopefully it will stay like this in the next day or the rest of the week. :fingersx:

Yea, that is odd! Usually one static shock can permanetly damaged to any electronic devices.
Glad you got it going once again. If it works, just leave it alone

Yea I thought I bricked it. :eek3:

The router problems came back 3 days ago. A friend of mine told me that I should upgrade the firmware to HyperWRT G Thibor15c . It works great now. No slow or lost connection for 3 days. Harrah!

Please buy a good surge outlet box for these devices. I always turn them off when I am not using my computer.

There was a heavy wind storm in my area. A tree knocked down a telephone pole that, somehow, killed my external modem and my computer's logic board. I was lucky that I got them replaced for free. From now on, you should have the surge box for your devices. I have a UPS for these machines - so far nothing happen to them. Whew!

I find hard for me to believe that your modem or router had a static shock that survived. It seems to be a "Nine Lives." :)

Back