ROKU 3- NETFLIX - and Closed Captioning

My next TV will probably be Samsung product and will wait see how it turns out.

yeah Samsung is good, I have one, 5 years old now, but still very modern - only that its bit older- it didnt have a USB...but media player or modern dvd players have those anyway...

Samsung have good colours too..
the next lot would be an LED, not LCD...LED is actually sharper and brighter...but thats technology for you,it evolves so damn fast it aren't funny...
good luck

yeah Samsung is good, I have one, 5 years old now, but still very modern - only that its bit older- it didnt have a USB...but media player or modern dvd players have those anyway...

the next lot would be an LED, not LCD...LED is actually sharper and brighter...but thats technology for you,it evolves so damn fast it aren't funny...
good luck
Are you talking about OLED? If so, yeah, it's a champ. Very accurate colors, etc. Right now they are talking about OLED vs 4K so we will see. I already saw 4k at Best Buy and it drove me crazy. Can I borrow $5k from you? :lol:

Are you talking about OLED? If so, yeah, it's a champ. Very accurate colors, etc. Right now they are talking about OLED vs 4K so we will see. I already saw 4k at Best Buy and it drove me crazy. Can I borrow $5k from you? :lol:

OLED vs 4K? What? Don't make sense to me.

OLED is type of light and 4K is number of resolution.

There is already curved OLED with 4K 60" and it costs around $8,000.

dsc03875.jpg

Problem, netfliex, many movies, PS4, Xbox one, Apple Tv, etc don't have 4k yet.

good luck

No blu-ray? DVD player is not really modern anymore. The DVD is up to 480p without upscaling.

OLED vs 4K? What? Don't make sense to me.

OLED is type of light and 4K is number of resolution.

There is already curved OLED with 4K 60" and it costs around $8,000.

dsc03875.jpg

Problem, netfliex, many movies, PS4, Xbox one, Apple Tv, etc don't have 4k yet.
I saw two 4k LCD Ultra HDTV with LED backlight at Best Buy, one by Samsung and another one by Sony but no OLED yet. Anyway OLED is true LED while LCD is not and so far its native resolution is 1080p. So 4K LCD Ultra HDTV vs OLED HDTV makes sense. You will read about it someday.

OLED TVs at Crutchfield.com

4K Ultra HD TVs at Crutchfield.com

I saw two 4k LCD Ultra HDTV with LED backlight at Best Buy, one by Samsung and another one by Sony but no OLED yet. Anyway OLED is true LED while LCD is not and so far its native resolution is 1080p. So 4K LCD Ultra HDTV vs OLED HDTV makes sense. You will read about it someday.

OLED TVs at Crutchfield.com

4K Ultra HD TVs at Crutchfield.com

I saw between OLED 4K and LED 4K at store once. Not much diff. OLED is just thinner and curved tv. That's it. Sad best buy don't have one yet and probably cost too much for customer and wait till price drop.

We have old LCD with CFL (backlight) 42" for almost 8 years then finally got new LED 55" and more rich color, so bright and easy to see from any angle unlike LCD. We love it already and good for our dogs lol.

www.slashgear.com/lgs-curved-77-inch-4k-oled-tv-is-absolutely-stunning-08312473/

I saw between OLED 4K and LED 4K at store once. Not much diff. OLED is just thinner and curved tv. That's it. Sad best buy don't have one yet and probably cost too much for customer and wait till price drop.

We have old LCD with CFL (backlight) 42" for almost 8 years then finally got new LED 55" and more rich color, so bright and easy to see from any angle unlike LCD. We love it already and good for our dogs lol.

www.slashgear.com/lgs-curved-77-inch-4k-oled-tv-is-absolutely-stunning-08312473/
You made a mistake saying that it's not like LCD since your new LED 55" is LCD. Aren't you aware of that? LED is used as backlight, not a technology. LCD is a technology. OLED is a technology.

led hdtv - CNET

An LED TV is actually a kind of LCD TV that uses LEDs, or light-emitting diodes, instead of the standard fluorescent backlight to illuminate the screen. Some LED-based LCD TVs are extremely thin and some exhibit better picture quality than standard LCD TVs, and most are more-efficient to a greater or lesser extent. They're also also more-expensive.
Anyway, wow LG's OLED HDTV has 4k on demo but it is not on market yet so it's not comparable. However, if it's on market, it will win all the way (beat 4k LCD HDTV).

You made a mistake saying that it's not like LCD since your new LED 55" is LCD. Aren't you aware of that? LED is used as backlight, not a technology. LCD is a technology. OLED is a technology.

led hdtv - CNET

Anyway, wow LG's OLED HDTV has 4k on demo but it is not on market yet so it's not comparable. However, if it's on market, it will win all the way (beat 4k LCD HDTV).

You know why it call LED? Because avoid from confused which Two type LCD. One with CFL and one with LED for backlight.
www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55F6300AFXZA

See it just said LED TV as simple. So I don't make mistake. You just misunderstand. No one want said LCD with LED or old LCD with CCFL. Just said LED TV and good enough and keeps simple.

Looks pix and u get idea.

http://img.digitaltrends.com/image/backlighting-comparison-625x1000.png

Again, LCD with LED got better view of angle unlike LCD with CCFL. Just make it clear for you.

led hdtv - CNET

Again, I clear said
We have old LCD with CFL (backlight) 42" for almost 8 years then finally got new LED 55"

You know why it call LED? Because avoid from confused which Two type LCD. One with CFL and one with LED for backlight.
www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55F6300AFXZA

See it just said LED TV as simple. So I don't make mistake. You just misunderstand. No one want said LCD with LED or old LCD with CCFL. Just said LED TV and good enough and keeps simple.

Looks pix and u get idea.

http://img.digitaltrends.com/image/backlighting-comparison-625x1000.png

Again, LCD with LED got better view of angle unlike LCD with CCFL. Just make it clear for you.
OK, I didn't read that before I replied to your next post. I understand that people call it a LED while it's actually a LCD. It's really sad that people say LED HDTV is better than LCD HDTV while LED HDTV is a LCD HDTV itself and it's not pure LED like OLED. LCD HDTV with CCFL is an old technology. In other words, you say "I have a LED HDTV", that means you have a LCD HDTV. That's a fact.

OK, I didn't read that before I replied to your next post. I understand that people call it a LED while it's actually a LCD. It's really sad that people say LED HDTV is better than LCD HDTV while LED HDTV is a LCD HDTV itself and it's not pure LED like OLED. LCD HDTV with CCFL is an old technology. In other words, you say "I have a LED HDTV", that means you have a LCD HDTV. That's a fact.

Check a link first before you said.

Stop thinking of inside technology.

Here a link

55" LED 1080p Smart TV - 240Hz - Built in WiFi | Samsung UN55F6300AF

If I said. LCD TV then how you know which LED or CCFL?

Store still selling LCD with CCFL. Just said LED TV as short word. Wake up.
I understand. LCD with CCFL will become obsolete soon. Crutchfield sells 7 of them while it carries 85 LED-LCD HDTVs. You didn't tell me that you know or don't know what local dimming means since you posted a link.

I understand. LCD with CCFL will become obsolete soon. Crutchfield sells 7 of them while it carries 85 LED-LCD HDTVs. You didn't tell me that you know or don't know what local dimming means since you posted a link.

Soon is not enough. Too many stores still selling LCD.

Most of us still have LCD and it last around 7 years-14 years. Long way to obsolete.

LCD have problem with local dimming like background should be black but it looks like "gray" like the space looks like gray with tons stars. Yes, I sicked of that till switched to LED and MUCH MUCH MUCH BETTER. It's looks perfect black as background. Plasma already beat LCD for better black on the background in around 10 years ago but I dislike Plasma cuz heat issue, CC burn screen, high watts, etc.

what 4k for???
it is Not good for us..

Station TV and CableTV only 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i only but cableTV support 1080p, they don't have 2160p???

DVD up to 1080i, Blue-Ray up to 1080p but they don't ahve 2160p?

WHAT 4K FOR??? they are crazy! you want watch 4 display? or computer and games games will very slow for 4k / UHD, ou want buy extra 4 high card on motherboard $$$$$$

you think Movie Blu-Ray have 4k / UHD avaiable at store or rent?, NO?

Don't buy OLED, wait later.. I read report color light "Blue" is weak before 5,000 hour to broke, then 10,000 hours broke.. 25,000 is right now, but soon 55,000-65,000 hour from Dev/Research in UK but Green and REd can more 80,000 hour or more

I am new here and asking questions for my dad. He is 88 years old and not very tech savvy - leaves that to me. :D I want to get him some good programing (he is using Directv now and hates it!) I am considering the Roku system coupled with Netflix and would like to get opinions on this.

His requirements would be, simplicity of use (very important - remote control with onscreen selection guide?), Closed Captioning with large font, good movie AND TV show selection. Does Roku fit this? I see many discussions about the problems with cc but little discussion about the Roku and Netflix content. Are there good selections of current tv programs?

Does the Roku use wireless connection to internet? Wired would be a problem as I'd have to run a CAT 3 cable through a wall to the router.

Also, he has 2 TV's .. would he need to have 2 Roku boxes? (I assume so) but he could use his Netflix account for ether TV, yes? Mom would watch her TV with Netflix and he would watch his Netflix ... all on the same account?

I am new here and asking questions for my dad. He is 88 years old and not very tech savvy - leaves that to me. :D I want to get him some good programing (he is using Directv now and hates it!) I am considering the Roku system coupled with Netflix and would like to get opinions on this.

His requirements would be, simplicity of use (very important - remote control with onscreen selection guide?), Closed Captioning with large font, good movie AND TV show selection. Does Roku fit this? I see many discussions about the problems with cc but little discussion about the Roku and Netflix content. Are there good selections of current tv programs?

Does the Roku use wireless connection to internet? Wired would be a problem as I'd have to run a CAT 3 cable through a wall to the router.

Also, he has 2 TV's .. would he need to have 2 Roku boxes? (I assume so) but he could use his Netflix account for ether TV, yes? Mom would watch her TV with Netflix and he would watch his Netflix ... all on the same account?

CAT3? Too slow to data transfer. CAT5 or up are high recommend for streaming. Yes, Roku have wireless. I prefer Apple TV because it's friendly with CC over Roku.

Yes, you can use Netflix under the same accounts as up to 5 devices.

Back