ROKU 3- NETFLIX - and Closed Captioning

I chatted with Netflix tech support online after I chatted with Roku 3 tech support online.

Netflix tech support explained that they are using their own customization and Netflix showed me how to do it on Netflix website that will effect all devices.

So Netflix was able to teach me how to customize the text under my account setting on the Netflix website and it appears on Roku 3

Yes Roku 3 tech support was correct, not all channels will use Roku 3 customization and some may have their own customization feature instead.
Did you ask Netflix tech support about Roku 2?

Really? How come MangaReader said that her Roku 2's subtitle appearance doesn't work (still yellow)?
Take a snapshot of Netflix's CC (other than yellow, try green) on your TV via Roku 2 to prove that it's customizable so MangaReader can see it for herself.
What's more, read the last post in the link below regarding a list of the devices which support the new feature (Subtitle Appearance). Roku, Roku 2 and Roku 3 are not listed.

Sorry I was busy lately, Okay here the pictures :)

I recently found out that my ROKU 2XD is running beta software so Im not sure if MangaReader can see CC setting for his/her Roku. If its not here, then wait for ROKU will release new stable software soon

Attachments

• 20140211_133609.jpg
    20140211_133609.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 3
I have the same setting page as above. I made changes to the settings and went to check the captions but still yellow.

BTW I also have VIZIO brand TV too.

I am going to go check it again. If not, then yes, I'll have to wait for ROKU to release new software.

I checked again. Still yellow so software update is the answer. However, I went to Crackle and my caption settings were there!! It wasn't yellow! So it IS Netflix that won't get rid of my yellow.

Last edited:
I have the same setting page as above. I made changes to the settings and went to check the captions but still yellow.

BTW I also have VIZIO brand TV too.

I am going to go check it again. If not, then yes, I'll have to wait for ROKU to release new software.

I checked again. Still yellow so software update is the answer. However, I went to Crackle and my caption settings were there!! It wasn't yellow! So it IS Netflix that won't get rid of my yellow.

Netflix won't follow Roku setting

You need to go to Netflix website and sign in your account then under your account look for

[subtitle appearance]

Click on that and there you can change the subtitle setting and how it look and add the black background.

Try this link to see if it take you directly to the subtitle setting on Netflix webpage - > https://movies.netflix.com/SubtitlePreferences

Did you ask Netflix tech support about Roku 2?

Netflix Tech Support said that it change on *ALL* supported devices if you use Netflix own setting on their website.

I am not sure if Roku 2 is a "supported" device so it a good question but I did not ask about Roku 2. You can get online and open a chat box with Netflix tech support.

Here a screenshot of my Netflix setting ..

Notice - in the background setting, I checked mark "semitransparent"

Attachments

• CCsetting.jpg
    CCsetting.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 7
Yes I did go on Netflix online and changed the settings. It works fine if I view Netflix on my PC but not on my TV that's hooked up to the Roku.

Netflix won't follow Roku setting

You need to go to Netflix website and sign in your account then under your account look for

[subtitle appearance]

Click on that and there you can change the subtitle setting and how it look and add the black background.

Try this link to see if it take you directly to the subtitle setting on Netflix webpage - > https://movies.netflix.com/SubtitlePreferences
Yeah, I already told her about that. Like she said, it works on her PC but not on her Roku 2.

Mangareader, I suggest that you talk with Netflix via live chat to verify whether Roku 2 is supported or not. If not supported at all, maybe you need to buy Roku 3.

Sorry I was busy lately, Okay here the pictures :)

I recently found out that my ROKU 2XD is running beta software so Im not sure if MangaReader can see CC setting for his/her Roku. If its not here, then wait for ROKU will release new stable software soon
Remember, this thread is about Netflix and Roku. Your fourth picture, what source was it coming from? Netflix? I doubt it since TechBill and MangaReader confirmed that Roku's subtitle setting doesn't work on Netflix so TechBill succeeded changing subtitle appearance via Netflix's setting for his Roku 3. MangaReader didn't succeed maybe because Roku 2 is not supported yet. Do you subscribe to Netflix? If so, see for yourself.

Remember, this thread is about Netflix and Roku. Your fourth picture, what source was it coming from? Netflix? I doubt it since TechBill and MangaReader confirmed that Roku's subtitle setting doesn't work on Netflix so TechBill succeeded changing subtitle appearance via Netflix's setting for his Roku 3. MangaReader didn't succeed maybe because Roku 2 is not supported yet. Do you subscribe to Netflix? If so, see for yourself.

Yes it is from Netflix. Would be happy if you want a video proof :). My ROKU 2 XD is running beta software. Once Roku finish the software testing, it will release to all Roku 2 boxes.

TechBill said that Roku 3's subtitle setting doesn't work on Netflix but he recently found Netflix's subtitle setting and it finally works. Therefore Roku tech's story is not false.

Here's the same answer as the tech's.

Roku Closed Captioning Help : Featured Questions

BTW, I think Vudu has agreed to obey Roku's own setting now according to TechBill's post so that answer above needs an update.

I checked again and I was wrong .. Vudu is not using Roku 3 setting instead it have it own customization setting. I guess I have forgotten I set it before so when I set Roku 3 I made it all the same ha! ..

Anyway I changed the background to red to check all channels again.

Here are the channels I found so far that uses the Roku 3 CC settings ...

Amazon
Crackle
History
NBC News
PBS
PBS kids

My next TV will probably be Samsung product and will wait see how it turns out.

Wow, you have really good evidence there that Roku's setting actually overrides Netflix's. So this is beta firmware. What is the version? Any bugs so far?

MangaReader, did you see that? Don't worry and be patient since it will be released soon after beta testing is over. Roku's goal is to override any content's caption setting.

New Closed Caption Features for BrightScript Developers | Developer Blog

The new Roku closed captions settings UI lets users control turning captions on and off, and also lets them override the caption styling properties provided by the content.

Thanks Paul. Can't wait! I just discovered Crackle yesterday while I was testing out Netflix's captions. Never knew that existed and is free! Will start using it. And that has my preference of caption settings!! :D

I have roku 3 and subscribe to netflix. I like netflixs subtitle font color selections cool feature

wow, its cool, even can buy roku in nz, but its pointless netflix and such like not available here...
im getting a Dune 3D HD next week and have it set up wireless network with my server...

Yes it is from Netflix. Would be happy if you want a video proof :). My ROKU 2 XD is running beta software. Once Roku finish the software testing, it will release to all Roku 2 boxes.

I also have a Roku 2 XD and CANNOT get this to work! Still pops up yellow Netflix captions every time. I even tried it on Family Guy and House of Cards to be sure.

What version of Roku software do you have? I have Version 5.3 Build 3063.

I even deleted the Netflix channel and set it back up again - version 3.1 Netflix, but still doesn't work.

Roku caption changes work on Amazon, but not on Huluplus or Netflix.

I also have a Roku 2 XD and CANNOT get this to work! Still pops up yellow Netflix captions every time. I even tried it on Family Guy and House of Cards to be sure.

What version of Roku software do you have? I have Version 5.3 Build 3063.

I even deleted the Netflix channel and set it back up again - version 3.1 Netflix, but still doesn't work.

Roku caption changes work on Amazon, but not on Huluplus or Netflix.
He's one of the volunteers who are running Roku's beta software. They test it and report bugs, glitches, etc to the developers as well as they share solutions or ideas with the developers. When the developers are satisfied with the results (stability), the software will be released to all Roku owners.

As for Netflix's subtitle appearance, it's currently available on Roku 3 only. Read the posts of TechBill who owns Roku 3 in this thread.

Back