ROKU 3- NETFLIX - and Closed Captioning

Oh thanks. Interesting, it even has "favorite" styles unlike CC decoder's setting (for TV, DVR and cable HD box). How many styles can it store?

Style: default, large test and classic
Create new style: Font = Helvetica (default), Courier, Menlo, Trebuchet, Avenir, and Copperplate
Size: Small, medium, large, extra large
Color: white, cyan, blue, green, yellow, magenta, red and black
Background: same as above ^^
Background Opacity: 50% (default), 100%, 75%, 25% and 0%
Text Opacity: Opacity (default), Semi-Transparent and Transparent
Text Edge Style: None, Drop Shadow (default), Raised, depressed and Uniform
Many different styles, too

You try to buy new Apple TV but wait to listen newer Apple TV this spring or next season.

Do you have own MacBook pro, iPad and iPhone? Can use AirPlay mirroring from one of them. no AirPlay mirroring for Roku.

Create new style: Font = Helvetica (default), Courier, Menlo, Trebuchet, Avenir, and Copperplate

You try to buy new Apple TV but wait to listen newer Apple TV this spring or next season.

Do you have own MacBook pro, iPad and iPhone? Can use AirPlay mirroring from one of them. no AirPlay mirroring for Roku.

Windows can do it too.

AirPlay mirror your Windows or Mac computer to an Apple TV

Apple TV is better than Roku. Apple TV 's subtitle is any style, size, color, and background if you choose. See image of Netflix s movie.

Roku 2 have several caption choice too. Look in CC setting in Roku Setting. I picked old school closed captioning for Netflix. Love it!

Roku 2 have several caption choice too. Look in CC setting in Roku Setting. I picked old school closed captioning for Netflix. Love it!
Really? How come MangaReader said that her Roku 2's subtitle appearance doesn't work (still yellow)?

Take a snapshot of Netflix's CC (other than yellow, try green) on your TV via Roku 2 to prove that it's customizable so MangaReader can see it for herself.

What's more, read the last post in the link below regarding a list of the devices which support the new feature (Subtitle Appearance). Roku, Roku 2 and Roku 3 are not listed.

Roku Forums • View topic - Roku 3 - subtitles in netflix

Last edited:

I was talking about Style1, Style2, Style3 and so on. How many of them can be stored?

Really? How come MangaReader said that her Roku 2's subtitle appearance doesn't work (still yellow)?

Take a snapshot of Netflix's CC (other than yellow, try green) on your TV to prove that it's customizable so MangaReader can see it for herself.

What's more, read the last post in the link below regarding a list of the devices which support the new feature (Subtitle Appearance). Roku, Roku 2 and Roku 3 are not listed.

Roku Forums • View topic - Roku 3 - subtitles in netflix

Cuz he is blonde. :laugh2:

I just checked my Roku 3 and it does have the new caption settings feature where I can adjust it to look like the TV [CC]

BUT ......

Netflix is not following the Roku 3 setting and still stay with the ugly yellow and no background

However Amazon and Vudu is following the Roku 3 caption custom settings. Hulu I am not sure, it does have a black background but the text still yellow.

I applause Amazon and Vudu!! Good Work!

I just spoke with Roku tech support. They said that Netflix is using their own caption/subtitle setting and not using Roku's caption setting.

We need to let Netflix know that Roku offer this feature to hook into the ROku setting than using it own setting.

I just spoke with Roku tech support. They said that Netflix is using their own caption/subtitle setting and not using Roku's caption setting.

We need to let Netflix know that Roku offer this feature to hook into the ROku setting than using it own setting.

Does Netflix on Roku 3 show subtitle appearance like this?

If so, did you try to disable Roku 3's subtitle options and enable Netflix's subtitle options (change to green text with no background for example)? Does it work or not? If not, Netflix and Roku have to work it out.

Anyway, can you show what Roku 3's subtitle option menu looks like? I already saw Apple TV's subtitle menu which is great because it can store at least one favorite setting.

Does Netflix on Roku 3 show subtitle appearance like this?

If so, did you try to disable Roku 3's subtitle options and enable Netflix's subtitle options (change to green text with no background for example)? Does it work or not? If not, Netflix and Roku have to work it out.

Anyway, can you show what Roku 3's subtitle option menu looks like? I already saw Apple TV's subtitle menu which is great because it can store at least one favorite setting.

I did not see Netflix subtitle option on Roku 3. Do you know where it is?

Ill try to get a screenshot of Roku 3 Caption and post it here ..

Here the screenshot of the new Roku Caption settings ..

It works on Amazon and Vudu so far ..

Attachments

• rokuCC.jpg
    rokuCC.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 11
I found the settings on Netflix under my account.

Added the black background and white text. Looks great on my Roku 3!

About time! Awesome Netflix! Good job!

I found the settings on Netflix under my account.

Added the black background and white text. Looks great on my Roku 3!

About time! Awesome Netflix! Good job!

Really? Did you disable or enable Roku 3's subtitle option while you customized Netflix's subtitle appearance? If enabled, it means that Netflix's setting overrides Roku's setting. BTW, I am happy for you that it finally works.

MangaReader complains that Netflix's subtitle appearance doesn't work on her Roku 2 (still gets yellow text). How come? Does Roku 2 also have its own subtitle setting like yours?

And do you believe Roku tech's story about Netflix using their own subtitles setting? I don't.

And do you believe Roku tech's story about Netflix using their own subtitles setting? I don't.
TechBill said that Roku 3's subtitle setting doesn't work on Netflix but he recently found Netflix's subtitle setting and it finally works. Therefore Roku tech's story is not false.

Here's the same answer as the tech's.

Does the Roku Global Closed Captions setting work for all of the channels on Roku?

Not all channels make use of our settings. Notably Netflix and Vudu use their own settings. Amazon uses the user's settings for appearance of the captions, but don't yet obey our on/off/replay settings.
Roku Closed Captioning Help : Featured Questions

BTW, I think Vudu has agreed to obey Roku's own setting now according to TechBill's post so that answer above needs an update.

Really? Did you disable or enable Roku 3's subtitle option while you customized Netflix's subtitle appearance? If enabled, it means that Netflix's setting overrides Roku's setting. BTW, I am happy for you that it finally works.

MangaReader complains that Netflix's subtitle appearance doesn't work on her Roku 2 (still gets yellow text). How come? Does Roku 2 also have its own subtitle setting like yours?

Roku 3 is enabled so I can use it for Amazon.

But Netflix ignores the Roku 3 customization setting but I am happy that Netflix finally allow us to customize the Closed Caption text.

Netflix customization is not as good as Roku 3 but better than nothing.

I hope Netflix next release will allow Roku 3 to override it customization and used Roku 3 setting instead.

I chatted with Netflix tech support online after I chatted with Roku 3 tech support online.

Netflix tech support explained that they are using their own customization and Netflix showed me how to do it on Netflix website that will effect all devices.

So Netflix was able to teach me how to customize the text under my account setting on the Netflix website and it appears on Roku 3

Yes Roku 3 tech support was correct, not all channels will use Roku 3 customization and some may have their own customization feature instead.

TechBill said that Roku 3's subtitle setting doesn't work on Netflix but he recently found Netflix's subtitle setting and it finally works. Therefore Roku tech's story is not false.

Here's the same answer as the tech's.

Roku Closed Captioning Help : Featured Questions

BTW, I think Vudu has agreed to obey Roku's own setting now according to TechBill's post so that answer above needs an update.

I hope Netflix will agree to allow Roku 3 settings to override it own setting some day. Roku 3 have a much better choices to choose from and the caption look better.

Hrmmm Vudu use it own settings? I will have to check that again tonight becasue it now using black background with white text captions. Maybe Vudu happened to update recently at same time Roku did.

Back