Rochester NY Deaf Yoga Class

adamlogan

Reaction score
This exclusively Deaf Yoga class hosted at Open Sky Yoga is the highlight of my week. I always leave class feeling better and more relaxed than when I walked in. Alan, our teacher, really takes the time to describe and demonstrate each pose in ASL and helps each student understand and achieve the poses safely, and so as to reap the full benefits from each unique pose.

Our current class size of 3 regularly attending students is not sustainable from a financial perspective. Please share this post however you can. Bring your friends and come check it out :).

While each course consists of 8 classes, one class per week, people interested can show up at any class and need not commit to more than one class. The money or registration side of things can be dealt with after class. I can tell you with 100% certainty that everyone in the class has their fingers crossed that more students come and that these deaf yoga classes continue.

Where:
5 Arnold Park
Rochester NY

Finding the yoga center the first time can be a bit tricky so here's some help.

The Open Sky Yoga center is basically in the back yard of the Rochester Zen Center on the far left, look for a driveway with a small parking lot, on the far left there will be a wooden fence with gate. There will be a small sign with Open Sky Yoga on it.

When: Weekly on Thursdays 6:15 pm - 7:30 pm
Flyer & registration form:

I don't think there's LA Fitness. I belong to the YMCA for the pool but its not a very hard level of yoga. I thought it was great that the class is taught in ASL.... I've never seen that offered locally.

Hi Christine.

You might try emailing deafyoga.org. If there is a deaf friendly yoga teacher in your area they should know. If not, I'm sure they'd be happy to let you know when one becomes available. I hear your frustration though, I used to live in Salem, OR. No deaf yoga teachers near there either.

Although not ideal, I have met a profoundly deaf yoga instructor that said she learned yoga without the aid of sign language. The woman explained to her teacher to not be afraid about touching her and to be liberal with their hands, to put their body into the right position, and to gesture and write to explain more. That might go beyond your comfort level but that's how she did it.

Hope something manifests for you,

Adam

Back