RIP Windows XP

is it poss get same format layout as windows98 was told it was but how....I know can get mac layout on windows again how

If there's one thing I do not like about Windows 8, it is trying to fix an Internet connectivity problem-- it's complicated. I will stick with Windows XP, thank you, now that I have discovered that I will be all right using Bitdefender with my laptop, although mind you-- I shall have to wait and see what happens on the 9th.

Just use Windows 7.

But yes upgrading to Windows 7 is the answer, question is: does it have enough memory to do so?

CAUTION!

That link makes you download Windows 7 automatically! Don't click that link! I had to hurry stop it from downloading. Jeez.

All I got was advice on how to fix my PC to run Windows 7. Still trying to download it.

I meant that for anyone reading it. For you it's ok to download Windows 7 but I was afraid anyone reading that would get automatic download when we didn't want it. Just was warning others except you.

It freaked me out when I saw it downloading! I had to stop it quickly. Now running my virus program just in case.

I clicked on it because from what I understand, Windows 7 isn't free. You have to pay for it. I wanted to see if that was true but after doing a quick search, it isn't free, I think.

CAUTION!

That link makes you download Windows 7 automatically! Don't click that link! I had to hurry stop it from downloading. Jeez.

Luckily, Chrome prevented auto-download until I confirm.

I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone has brought up cost. Windows 7 now goes for about $75. I have one backend computer using vista so I might upgrade, but the price may drop so I'll wait.

I started on an 8086 which came with DOS, this was before Windows 3.1 was available.

Ironically, today I'm playing dunnet which is a version of the Adventure based text games. It comes with GNU Emacs, a highly extensible editor, which I use for just about everything.

Never mind. I found the settings where it will ask first if I want to download. Thanks Foxrac for bringing that option up. Wasn't aware of that option.

Just to be sure I got this right? Settings> Downloads> Ask where to save each file before downloading? Check that box?

No, need to find content settings box (click and scroll down to find Automatic Downloads section)

No, need to find content settings box (click and scroll down to find Automatic Downloads section)

Found it! Mine was set at: Ask me when a site tries to download files automatically after the first file (recommended)

So I changed to: Do not allow any site to download multiple files automatically

Whew! Thanks!

Well right now I'm checking for latest updates on my laptop, and I want to see what it says before taking further action. It's still checking now. I'm at the Microsoft Update page currently

Microsoft has a good antivirus program for free that I use: MSE. Microsoft Security Essentials. Now I am looking into protecting myself from spyware and adware. Not sure which to use. Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, HitmanPro, or Adw Cleaner. Has anyone used any of them?

Back