Restaurant see profits triple after ditch tipping

PowerON

Reaction score
Things are working out quite well for Bar Marco, the Pittsburgh restaurant that eliminated tips and put their staff members on salary. In January, co-owner Bobby Fry told Eater that he planned to give his full-time employees a base salary of $35,000 a year, plus healthcare, paid vacation, and 500 shares in the company. Plus, employees would only be asked to work a maximum of 40 to 44 hours per week. According to Entrepreneur, the unconventional model is working quite well for Fry and his team — profits are have nearly tripled in two months. Weekly profits have jumped from about $3,000 per week to $9,000 per week.

> Click for full article

“You cannot tell me that your business model relies on paying people below the poverty line,” he said. “You gotta have more pride in your business than that.”

maybe I being mean but what's the problem.Do another job if rely on tips afraid I mean b''h but I never tip unless service been soooooooo good beyond what expected. and never tip taxi.MOST of them get 10%included in pay,that happen in U.S..It pi88ed me when in States tip expected everywhere

Don't compare Wait Staff to Cab Drivers.

In the US, restaurant wait staff makes HALF minimum wage, that's around $3.50 to $3.75 an hour. The rest of their income comes from tips. If you don't tip, Wait Staff gets screwed. General rule of thumb, tip 15%. If you had bad service (waiter was rude or neglectful), then you can give less or nothing. If they did a wonderful job, you can give more. It's all up to you.

I've been working in the restaurant business for 25 years. I've seen Wait Staff bust their asses to make everyone at every table they have happy, only to have them get crushed when they get a $5 tip on a $150 bill. That's just outright ignorant.

I know in other countries, they give Wait Staff a full wage. But not here in America. I wish they would do away with tipping myself. But we are stuck with it and many businesses refuse to give full wages.

As for that restaurant, it's a start. Hopefully more will follow suit.

Don't compare Wait Staff to Cab Drivers.

In the US, restaurant wait staff makes HALF minimum wage, that's around $3.50 to $3.75 an hour. The rest of their income comes from tips. If you don't tip, Wait Staff gets screwed. General rule of thumb, tip 15%. If you had bad service (waiter was rude or neglectful), then you can give less or nothing. If they did a wonderful job, you can give more. It's all up to you.

I've been working in the restaurant business for 25 years. I've seen Wait Staff bust their asses to make everyone at every table they have happy, only to have them get crushed when they get a $5 tip on a $150 bill. That's just outright ignorant.

I know in other countries, they give Wait Staff a full wage. But not here in America. I wish they would do away with tipping myself. But we are stuck with it and many businesses refuse to give full wages.

How do you handle a restaurant that adds in a 20 or 25% tip to the bill and the service was very poor? I went to a restaurant that did this and was told I had to pay it because there was no way to change the check without a managers approval and he wasn't in at that moment. I have also eaten at a Red Robin where the service was so poor I left the waitress a written tip on a napkin and that was to get a different job.

I've never had a bill where the tip was automatically added to the bill, yet.

But I can give you this link to give you an idea on that subject.

I have also eaten at a Red Robin where the service was so poor I left the waitress a written tip on a napkin and that was to get a different job.
And so have I. LOL

So many people who join the restaurant business thinking it's an easy job. It's not. It's the most stressful job ever. You either have it in you to do the job or don't. There is no if, and or buts. There is no middle ground.

At my last job told one waitress who was complaining about stupid things to quit their job if they didn't like it. To work in the restaurant business, takes patience, tough skin, and a good sense of humor. If you don't have that, you don't belong in the restaurant business.

Also, if the manager wasn't around. I think you were lied too. Demand to see someone in charge, there is always someone in charge. It might even be the Chef in the kitchen who's in charge.

i was a bar maid for short time,i done some crappy jobs over the years but that hardest work i ever did..if lucky got tip but it was shared among us all about enough for half glass of water..i did in both deaf club and ordinary pub both as mean as each other but i expected no more most of those jobs are temps.....if and it rare i leave tip i leave and run..America should hang head in shame if people dependent on tips

And so have I. LOL

So many people who join the restaurant business thinking it's an easy job. It's not. It's the most stressful job ever. You either have it in you to do the job or don't. There is no if, and or buts. There is no middle ground.

At my last job told one waitress who was complaining about stupid things to quit their job if they didn't like it. To work in the restaurant business, takes patience, tough skin, and a good sense of humor. If you don't have that, you don't belong in the restaurant business.

Also, if the manager wasn't around. I think you were lied too. Demand to see someone in charge, there is always someone in charge. It might even be the Chef in the kitchen who's in charge.

My daughter and I had the tip automatically added to the bill and we had to pay a sale tax plus a city meal tax. a lot of town and cities are adding a meal tax and the money go to the city or town . My city does this and the money is suppose to go to fixing the streets and sidewalks . I really doubt all the money is spend that way.

The resteraunts around here add a tip to the bill if the party is eight or more people. I have no problem tipping if the server does a good job. In busy resteraunts, servers can make $200-$300 a night especially on the weekends. I'm sure some servers do not like the idea of no tips.

There only 3 people when the tip was added to our bill. My daughter grandchild and me , I was surprised b/c our bill was not that big .

WDYS,

Wow, I'm surprised. From the link I provided, it seems to only happen with large parties. I noticed you stated, you get a city meal tax and a sales tax. Sounds like you were in NYC or some major city like Chicago or LA.

when I went States first time saw things priced up I thought this cheap great..then stuck tax on it which seem hefty..i asked if it pi88ed people off or you all well used to it I gather it do pi88 you off

And so have I. LOL

I did talk to someone and they said it was their policy and that nothing could be done. In hind site I should of gone to the ATM and pulled out cash to pay the bill and put in what I thought was fair and walked out. We went back to this same restaurant for my daughters graduation a couple weeks ago and the service was as bad as it was the last time, but my Father in Law picked up the check and having a large tip tacked on wouldn't bother him. The biggest problem with this restaurant is they seem to be short staffed and it took almost 2 hours to get our food delivered to the table!

I did talk to someone and they said it was their policy and that nothing could be done. In hind site I should of gone to the ATM and pulled out cash to pay the bill and put in what I thought was fair and walked out. We went back to this same restaurant for my daughters graduation a couple weeks ago and the service was as bad as it was the last time, but my Father in Law picked up the check and having a large tip tacked on wouldn't bother him. The biggest problem with this restaurant is they seem to be short staffed and it took almost 2 hours to get our food delivered to the table!
Seriously? We would leave within 30 min. That's not our problem.

WDYS,

Wow, I'm surprised. From the link I provided, it seems to only happen with large parties. I noticed you stated, you get a city meal tax and a sales tax. Sounds like you were in NYC or some major city like Chicago or LA.

No , small city in Massauchettes . A lot of cities and towns are adding meal tax b/c they don't get enough money from the state to help fix the roads and sidewalks . And cities are getting less money to help cover for the cost of snow removal in a bad winter.

One of my sons waited and bussed tables during the summer....after several days, he was very angry because hardly anybody ever tipped!....he even posted about it on his FB page....so I did remind him the many times I took him out to eat and left a good tip...and he thought I was just wasting my $$....good lesson there, huh?

Feel sure, as another poster said...some waiters/waitress would rather have the tips...especially if they work in an exclusive restaurant.....they make a killing....others would rather have the straight salary....

One of my sons waited and bussed tables during the summer....after several days, he was very angry because hardly anybody ever tipped!....he even posted about it on his FB page....so I did remind him the many times I took him out to eat and left a good tip...and he thought I was just wasting my $$....good lesson there, huh?
:laugh2:

Feel sure, as another poster said...some waiters/waitress would rather have the tips...especially if they work in an exclusive restaurant.....they make a killing....others would rather have the straight salary....
That's the problem. Since they earn a small pay and "live" on tips, customers don't always pay good tips, even though they work hard to serve them. That sucks. IMO, all restaurants take advantage of them so they should pay them a straight salary and should fire those who do a poor job.

I think the whole industry will wait with bated breath for a year or more to see how this concept pans out.......

When my ex brother got married his bride family and my family went out to eat. The two father in laws hated one another , when the bill came the two men asked for the bill and the waiter was not sure what to do, my dad pulled out his wallet and gave the waiter $20 and took the bill and read it then he said to bride's dad " Here you pay for it !" LOL! Dad paid money just to see how much the bill was . The waiter got a good tip from both men.

We should have a law against restaurants making customers pay an percentage gratuity. In other words it should be illegal. Its based on consumer rights

We should have a law against restaurants making customers pay an percentage gratuity. In other words it should be illegal. Its based on consumer rights

Now, you hate free market.

If you want law so I will not open a new business in your area or your state.

No job for you.

Back