Responding to hatred

OpheliaSpeaks

Reaction score
Sometimes I really forget just how ignorant and cruel people can be. Mostly because I surround myself with kind-hearted, understanding and accepting individuals. Have any of you ever been lashed out at for your sexuality? How have you responded to it? Someone drove by when my friend and I (female) were standing at the corner waiting to cross the street over the weekend and screamed, "fucking dykes" out the window (as well as some other lovely names). They drove back around the block and leaned on the horn.
I have never experienced anything like this first hand. My reaction was to say nothing. My friend's was to scream back. I think it's best to not engage, but then again, I also don't think I deserve to be insulted by anyone for who I am.
:(

Oh yeah........the Dumbass Yah Dudes of the world.
They do it b/c of ignorance, and fear. They are the same people who would have taunted people for being Jewish or black in the old days. It's getting better at least......

There will always be stupid people in the world. Whether what they said is fully true, partially true, or a lie, but done in a mean way... just ignore them.

When a person can't get better or feel better, they will sometimes try to make others feel worse. If others acknowledge that they are feeling worse, then this person will know that he/she is succeeding and keep it up. In most cases, if they see that it doesn't work... they give up.

If they do keep it up, then it's more of an obsession and that would be what most people call a mental problem. In that case, you're just fine... it's that person who's mentally messed up. :)

I don't understand what you are saying, are you saying that you saw someone lashing on someone for their sexual orientation?

I know how that goes, I have nasty people that I see in store act that way and being rude and some of them can be racist and some of them can be cruel to handicap people as well. There are so many reasons why people hate or being rude or acting crazy.

i just ignore the idiots -- im out and proud and if the homophobes have a problem with it then dont talk to me! thats the way i look at it *shrugs*

I never expereince this in my neighborhood or anywhere in the United States.

But when I went to Toronto, Ontario, it was a different matter. A group of us were walking down the street, shopping, and a car load of guys saw us and screamed, "Faggots" and other unmentionable names.

I was in shock that this type of behavior would happen in Toronto of all the places!

Then the guys drove around the block and did it again!

We then went into a restaurant and didn't see them again.

Standing on the corner with a friend in boots, Levi’s 501s, Wrangler shirts, and Resistol hats, my friends said some kids in cars taunted, "Fucking cowboys!”

Stopping at a supermarket for grub in our blaze orange vests and hat with tied-up ear muffs, my hunting partner heard a car-load of young women hurl the insult, “Fucking hunters!”

Crossing the street to campus in my tweed jacket with elbow patches and huge briefcase, I’ve seen blue collar guys in hardhats mouth, “Fucking professor!”

I have kind of a question to ask about why the jerks shouted at your friends:

I agree; all these screamers are idiots, discourteous to the core. They’re all mega-jerks . . . but when we wear certain styles that make a definitive statement, shouldn't we expect responses from some lame brains?

I'm thinking sometimes we have to anticipate certain freedoms of speech when we choose to exercise our own first amendment choices. Could that have been the case with your friend's?

Standing on the corner with a friend in boots, Levi’s 501s, Wrangler shirts, and Resistol hats, my friends said some kids in cars taunted, "Fucking cowboys!”

Stopping at a supermarket for grub in our blaze orange vests and hat with tied-up ear muffs, my hunting partner heard a car-load of young women hurl the insult, “Fucking hunters!”

Crossing the street to campus in my tweed jacket with elbow patches and huge briefcase, I’ve seen blue collar guys in hardhats mouth, “Fucking professor!”

I have kind of a question to ask about why the jerks shouted at your friends:

I agree; all these screamers are idiots, discourteous to the core. They’re all mega-jerks . . . but when we wear certain styles that make a definitive statement, shouldn't we expect responses from some lame brains?

I'm thinking sometimes we have to anticipate certain freedoms of speech when we choose to exercise our own first amendment choices. Could that have been the case with your friend's?

maybe each time those people lure hatred comments at you, respond with "Fucking haters."

Seriously, people like that have issues within themselves which have nothing to do with the person they are attacking. Important to ignore them unless they become physical or threatening. That's when the cops should be called to interfere.

I never expereince this in my neighborhood or anywhere in the United States.

But when I went to Toronto, Ontario, it was a different matter. A group of us were walking down the street, shopping, and a car load of guys saw us and screamed, "Faggots" and other unmentionable names.

I was in shock that this type of behavior would happen in Toronto of all the places!

Then the guys drove around the block and did it again!

We then went into a restaurant and didn't see them again.

That's interesting. We were in Canada when it happened. Hmmmmm.

maybe each time those people lure hatred comments at you, respond with "Fucking haters."

Seriously, people like that have issues within themselves which have nothing to do with the person they are attacking. Important to ignore them unless they become physical or threatening. That's when the cops should be called to interfere.

Shel, My point wasn't how to respond. Your second option -- "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me" -- is best. Yep, ignore them.

My point is how did the hecklers immediately know of Ophilia's friends' preferences? Were they openly engaged in romance? Did they wear clothing to make that particular statement? If so, it was certainly their right to do so under the first amendment of our constitution. But they also should expect comment. Comment is freedom of speech, too.

Shel, My point wasn't how to respond. Your second option -- "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me" -- is best. Yep, ignore them.

My point is how did the hecklers immediately know of Ophilia's friends' preferences? Were they openly engaged in romance? Did they wear clothing to make that particular statement? If so, it was certainly their right to do so under the first amendment of our constitution. But they also should expect comment. Comment is freedom of speech, too.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me" -- is best. Yep, ignore them. I agree with that. I always say the same thing is just ingore them as long it not a physical violence. I think hate is such a strong words u know.

Anytime I or anyone is the recipient of judgmental, ignorant comments or insults, I am reminded that there is a great need to educate, educate, educate.

Anytime I or anyone is the recipient of judgmental, ignorant comments or insults, I am reminded that there is a great need to educate, educate, educate.

But when one educates people and it doesn't work, then what does one suggest?

You go to bed, knowing you tried and when you get up the next day, you plow on.

Yes, I agree. The whole thing just caught me off guard. I think it's impossible to educate those who do not wish to be educated. There will always exit intolerance, so I guess the only thing to do is take a stand at the moment and not tolerate it. I was just wondering if anything similar had ever happened to other members and how they responded.

But we did educated people about the racist and why they are not good, we can do the same about the GLBT..

Absolutely.

But we did educated people about the racist and why they are not good, we can do the same about the GLBT.

Good point, just so long as we make it clear "we" are the educational systems and workplaces showing diversity is better than intolerance, and it isn't that "they" are not good; it's that "their" behaviors are not good.

Another good point, PuyoPiyo, is I for one have learned far more about GLBT from the educational system here than any other. Good work in that area.

Back