Respect for all

Now your children are old enough and know you support them in anyway..just as my Mom did so I don't see anything wrong...

When I attended to deaf school I had to Mainstream to a public school due my grade level was high. I Took Math, English, and History at the Public school and my extra curriculum at the deaf school. I enjoyed being with my deaf friends and I also enjoyed being with my hearing friends.

I don't see anything wrong with how you are raising your children...

As for the others....

She has made her choice.. you guys can talk until you are blue in the face. It will not change her mind it will not sway her one bit.

It is not a contest....... is her choice on what she chose to do. It is her life and her children's' life. She is learning signs her children are signing. They are oral.

I'm sorry for some of the Deaf Adults that had a bad experience on how they grew up... but bashing Jackie is not going to change your life nor per sway her to change.

I am not bashing Jackie. I just dont agree with her philosophy of having either ASL or oral and telling the parents that if they want their child to be oral then they cant be exposed to sign language until later. To me that is just gambling with these student's language development and when they cant pick up on oral language, years are lost on language development. I jsut do not agree to it.

Thank u...I welcome any parent of deaf children with open arms whether their children got implanted or not. The part about the decision to implant is the one that is not the issue but when the parents say things like "I dont want my child to learn sign language" "My child doesnt need sign language" or worst of all "I dont want my child interacting with those deaf children who use sign language." That will turn me off and not respect them.

I never intentionally push any parents who implant their children from the Deaf community. It is usually the other way around first and if they or other oral deaf users say things like how they have more opportunities cuz they have oral skills, that is a big turn off for me.

I used to say things like that as a kid and for that, I am ashamed of myself.

Why should I respect those who have discriminated against those who rely on sign language?

You know I have to agree with you. I have seen the hearing parent reject the deaf community far far more often than I have seen the deaf community reject a hearing parent or a deaf child.

I understand that what's done is done, But, I disagree with your viewpoint on this matter "parents do what's best for their child", What's best? Do we all make best decisions for our children? Maybe, maybe not, maybe no, maybe yes and maybe never.

The point is, It's about the deaf children's communication barriers beyond their control, there are struggle in between communication that was given to them from the get and go by some hearing parents. Deaf people see themselves much like any other minority, feel like outsiders, because of that no hearing knows what's best of them, only those who know what's it's like is when someone experienced it themselves.

Can you imagine the most frustration it is to sit at a table with about four hearing people trying to understand a conversation, it's almost impossible to get the whole conversation, What I am saying here, we want to be treated equal, first class people, not second class. If we learned to speak, why can't hearing parents learn to sign? It's not one way highway. It's unfair for deaf people to tried to pay attention or understand what was going on around us. Now can you see how it affects deaf children where communication tool is given to them beyond their control and beyond their power. :(

Cheri, I can relate to the sitting at the table with all hearing people and no signing. That is frustrating enought but can u imagine being in a classroom of 30 plus hearing kids and staff talking rapidly and not understanding almost anything????

That was how the educational setting was for me. I would choose TC or SEE or PSE over the oral-only approach!!

You know I have to agree with you. I have seen the hearing parent reject the deaf community far far more often than I have seen the deaf community reject a hearing parent or a deaf child.

Right..that was what I was trying to say in my first post in this thread but instead I am the bad one and the one who scares the parents away. What the hell?

I am entitled to my opinions on the oral-only philosophy but I dont go around spouting it to the parents of newly diagnosed deaf children. I am not a pycho like I am in here. :giggle:

Cheri, I have been in the same position except my outcome was different. You know my story, but my mom handled it the best she could. I look back at childhood without one harsh word against my family. I'm sorry yours was not like that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm so glad I had the chance to speak and still using my spoken skills as of today, I don't regret that, but I'm saying is I did had some frustration in between while being in an oral program, especially when a teacher turned her back and start off writing on a chalk board continuing talking, How am I supposed to read her lips when she's facing the board? Sometimes teachers intend to forget that I'm in the classroom too.

When I was then send to Total Communication, It beats sitting in the classroom trying to catch on by lip-reading in an oral classroom, TC program provides both signs and speech, I would never be missed out on anything what the teachers would say.

Bottom line is I want more than anything for my family to keep continue using signs with me, that's all I ever asked for and that's all I ever wanted. :)

Right..that was what I was trying to say in my first post in this thread but instead I am the bad one and the one who scares the parents away. What the hell?

I am entitled to my opinions on the oral-only philosophy but I dont go around spouting it to the parents of newly diagnosed deaf children. I am not a pycho like I am in here. :giggle:

LOL: I never considered you to be a psycho! Likewise, I have my opinions, but when informing parents, I do not allow my opinion to enter into it. I provide information, both pro and con, on all options, and allow parents to make their own decisions. If they ask me to share personal opinion or experience, then I will do so. If I am asked to assess the educational difficulties of a particular student, and the conclusion is that the difficulties are based in language problems, then I will state so, and recommend what can be done remedially to solve those problems. But it is all based on empirical evidence and tested methodology, not my personal opinion. However, this forum is different. But I have found that even when a post is based on evidence and research, and not personal opinion, it is thought by some to be personal opinion. Or, more often, personal attack.

Don't get me wrong, I'm so glad I had the chance to speak and still using my spoken skills as of today, I don't regret that, but I'm saying is I did had some frustration in between while being in an oral program, especially when a teacher turned her back and start off writing on a chalk board continuing talking, How am I supposed to read her lips when she's facing the board? Sometimes teachers intend to forget that I'm in the classroom too.

When I was then send to Total Communication, It beats sitting in the classroom trying to catch on by lip-reading in an oral classroom, TC program provides both signs and speech, I would never be missed out on anything what the teachers would say.

Bottom line is I want more than anything for my family to keep continue using signs with me, that's all I ever asked for and that's all I ever wanted. :)

It was not to be negative. I'm not sure I would make the same choices my mom made for me, if I was in her shoes. I'm sure I would done alot differently. There is just a respect for my mom for her choices she made for me.

About education/communication programs, I am still on the fence on what would want if it was my child. I know my ideal program, my thoughts. I am very fortunate to have a child who is just wants to learn to learn. She is an easy child.

Yep, that's exactly what we are talking about. There is no way that a deaf child can have full access in an oral only environment.

It was not to be negative. I'm not sure I would make the same choices my mom made for me, if I was in her shoes. I'm sure I would done alot differently. There is just a respect for my mom for her choices she made for me.

About education/communication programs, I am still on the fence on what would want if it was my child. I know my ideal program, my thoughts. I am very fortunate to have a child who is just wants to learn to learn. She is an easy child.

I agree with you there, vallee. You are very fortunate. I wonder, though, how many more deaf children would be eager learners, and learn to love learning if they weren't so often placed in a position of not being able to access the opportunity to learn?

Aren't you rejecting me both as a parent and a teacher because I believe in the oral method. It is not that I do believe in a TC bibi if that what a parents wants. The number one thing is that I believe in an informed decision.

Yep, that's exactly what we are talking about. There is no way that a deaf child can have full access in an oral only environment.

My children do have full access, and in order to ensure that they have full access is why I fought for CART. They are still oral, still deaf, and still have full access.

Aren't you rejecting me both as a parent and a teacher because I believe in the oral method. It is not that I do believe in a TC bibi if that what a parents wants. The number one thing is that I believe in an informed decision.

Hi Jackie, are you a teacher of the oral program? I'm not sure if you had mention this somewhere in AD, if so, forgive me for missing that post.

You are not familiar with the history of this situation here. Noone was really attacking her as a parent; what concerns some of us is the disagreement we have over an educational philosophy and she is a teacher.[/QU

YES..I agree with you.. but I see no reason for Jackie yelling at us over that issue...She was very angry...

SxyPorkie,
I would like to apologize to you if you think I was yelling at you or anyone else here. Yes, I was yelling but it was not at you or anyone else except for Jillo. Please forgive me.

If you say so, jackie, if you say so.:roll:
Hi Jillo how ever you meant this comment it doesn't matter. Just like you said if I say so. Since they are kids and I am a teacher I know where they should be. And since you have never meant my children or taught them you really wouldn't know what they can hear or what they understand.

No, jackie, I am not rejecting you...I am rejecting the oral only philosophy. You are the one that insists on taking it personally. What you do as a parent is none of my concern. It is you that continues to bring your parenting into the discussion.

I, too, believe in informed decision. That means being informed of both pros and cons on all fronts, and being aware of the voluminous research that discredits the idea that signing will interfere with spoken language development, or that it is necessary to expose a child to only one language at a time.

SxyPorkie,
I would like to apologize to you if you think I was yelling at you or anyone else here. Yes, I was yelling but it was not at you or anyone else except for Jillo. Please forgive me.

And you were yelling at me because you did not read my post correctly. Therefore, it was your mistake, and you had no reason to be yelling at anyone. It is not my fault if you did not read carefully. Before you yell at anyone, you need to make sure that you have a valid reason for doing so. In this case, you most certainly did not.

Hi Jillo how ever you meant this comment it doesn't matter. Just like you said if I say so. Since they are kids and I am a teacher I know where they should be. And since you have never meant my children or taught them you really wouldn't know what they can hear or what they understand.

If you say so, jackie, if you say so.

Hi Jackie, are you a teacher of the oral program? I'm not sure if you had mention this somewhere in AD, if so, forgive me for missing that post.

Angel, yes I am an oral teacher of the deaf. I teach preschool age children. And I am more of an oralist. I am not now nor would I ever be an extreme oralist. I have meet some that think all deaf children should get implants and be oral. I do not. I feel that parents need to have all the information before making an informed decision. Before a child is placed in my class, I meet the parents to make sure that someone has told them about all of their options. I also think that cochlear implants can be a good tool if used correctly.
I am not against raising a child with sign language. I do believe that if a parent chooses to put their child in a TC/bibi program then they need to learn sign language. I think ASL is a beatiuful, it was not what I choose to raise my children in but if a parents wants to do that they should.

Back