Research Paper Topic

x{Kaye}x

Reaction score
Hello all!

In my Deaf Culture class, we are writing a 5-7 page paper on Deaf culture or things related to Deaf history.

I'm gonna need your help choosing a topic. I want it to be different an unique from the papers on Cochlears or differences between hearing and deaf cultures.

My first idea was deaf technology. But my teacher says it was too broad; she suggested I narrow my topic down to videophones. - I don't want to do a paper about videophones.

Some people are doing theirs on:
CODAs
Cochlears
Manners
What it takes to become an interpreter/teacher
Schools for the Deaf
etc etc.

Can you name some topics for me, that I can't come up with myself?

What about "hearing people dating the deaf" or vice versa?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

why isn't your name on the list? lemme guess - you were banned?

yea... give them a chance to shine for once!

an idea-" The abnormal and often kinky sex life of deaf people. a first person accounting "

I'm writing a similar paper.

I can think of a spin-off of what mine will be about--what about Deaf services during disasters and major events? I know sometimes during political speeches, the interpreter is cut off on TV and you can only see half of them, etc.

an idea-" The abnormal and often kinky sex life of deaf people. a first person accounting "

:roll:

I did read somewhere from someone's experience where a hearing student decided to date a deaf guy to write a research on deaf relationship. he decided to stop by the college and saw her paper (I believe they had it up for people to read) and he was furious that she used him... went up to the professor who graded the paper and told him what she did was wrong and he needed to failed her. I do not know if this story is true, but I do know that talking about sex life and comparing it to hearing people is wrong and personal.

You mean Lon Chaney? That would be a great choice.
One my favorite actors. :)

However, he wasn't deaf; his parents were deaf.

Maybe he meant Lou Fant? Also an important name in Deaf culture but he, too, was a CODA, not deaf himself.

One my favorite actors. :)

However, he wasn't deaf; his parents were deaf.

Maybe he meant Lou Fant? Also an important name in Deaf culture but he, too, was a CODA, not deaf himself.

Lon Chaney, yes. I was under the influence of pain killers last night.

I never said he was deaf. :) But there was a reason he could act.

deaf sex life

:roll:

I did read somewhere from someone's experience where a hearing student decided to date a deaf guy to write a research on deaf relationship. he decided to stop by the college and saw her paper (I believe they had it up for people to read) and he was furious that she used him... went up to the professor who graded the paper and told him what she did was wrong and he needed to failed her. I do not know if this story is true, but I do know that talking about sex life and comparing it to hearing people is wrong and personal.
:D

i wonder if video wld help get an A ? lets all send in our amateur tapes :D

Lon Chaney, yes. I was under the influence of pain killers last night.

I never said he was deaf. :) But there was a reason he could act.
The heading of your list was "History of how America was shaped by the Deaf?" so I just wanted to make it clear for those who might not be familiar with Chaney. :)

The heading of your list was "History of how America was shaped by the Deaf?" so I just wanted to make it clear for those who might not be familiar with Chaney. :)

But parents shaped Chaney! And he was an amazing performer and idol in the deaf world during silent films era. :)

How about the place of the hoh in Deaf culture? Like that Deaf culture isn't just for "voice off unaided/unCId prelingal folks?

What about..."How did Deaf people maintain contact with each other before the era of TTYs, pagers, and VPs"

But parents shaped Chaney! And he was an amazing performer and idol in the deaf world during silent films era. :)
Right. Mr. and Mrs. Frank Chaney should be included. :)

... this is a research paper ideas for her, we're not doing her research - which was the reason i left a majority of information out.

Thanks everyone. You've really opened my eyes!

Question, do deaf people capitalize the D in deaf? I've always learned I'm supposed to. But do you?

Back