Religion in Deaf Community

Ronda

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am doing a research paper for my Issue in Deaf Culture about religion in the Deaf community. If you could please help me in my search I would greatly appreciate it. What I would like to know would be the following items you may have experienced. I would greatly appreciate anything you might add that I have missed.

What churches have you attended?

What accomodations were readily available to assist you such as interpreter and ect.?

After you first attended the church with no accomodations were they readily available next time you attended?

What churches are there that are mainly Deaf culture population that you know of?

What is the most important thing you would like to express about your general experience with religion?

I greatly appreciate any responses.

Thanks so much,

Ronda

Hello Ronda, I do religious interpreting so I can try to give you information as best I can for your research paper.

Q: What churches have you attended?

A: I attend St. Ann's Catholic Church in Providence, RI

Q: What accomdations were readily available to assist you such as an interpreter, etc.?

A: We have 3 interpreters at our church, I do every other Sunday, as well as another interpreter. The third interpreter goes to Churches that she has been assigned to for interpreting. A lot of deaf do not come to our church because they want to stay at their home church, so interpreters are provided for them. Also in the works for hard of hearing members, a loop system maybe provided and also FM system so the church member can hear the Mass without missing anything.

Q: After you first attended the church with no accomodations, were they readily available the next time you attended?

A: If the first time they attend Mass and there is no accomodations readily available for them, we have a Diocese Director who is deaf that the deaf can call him and let him know that their church does not provide interpreters, the
Director will call the Pastor of said Church through tty and let them know that they received a request for an interpreter for Mass at their church. Most pastors are very obliging, but, there are others who are pretty stubborn. When that happens, then the Director will call the Commission on the deaf and hard of hearing, explain what is going on, and the CDHH will in turn send info to the church to let them know of their deaf members rights to an interpreter so they can fully appreciate the Mass like the hearing.

Q: What churches are there that are mainly Deaf culture population that you know of?

A: In Providence, there is St. Ann's Church, they have a deaf Mass every Sunday at 9:30. Also, there is Assembly of God, Alpha Omega Church. They have Mass every Sunday at 9:00. There is St. Jean's Church in Barrington, R.I. but it's both deaf and hearing. That's because in Warren there is an Independent Living facilty, and the deaf clientele go to this church every Sunday, and I believe that starts at 9:00 also.

Q: What is the most important thing you would like to express about your general experience with religion?

A: I am a CODA, my father goes to the same church that I interpret at, the wonderful feeling I get when I am interpreting up on the Altar is, that the deaf
congregation with the help of interpreting services can fully participate in the Mass, they are a close congregation. When they do the sign of peace, they all hug each other, and that is such a wonderful feeling. Even though they cannot hear, they get to fully appreciate what their belief really stands for. I even interpret music, which they love because through facial expression and body language they know exactly how to feel the song. The deaf community maybe a small one, but, they are a close knit family who have displayed very strong faith in their religion. Even though they are deaf and can't hear the music or the words of the Mass, through the interpreter it gives them the chance to feel. When I am interpreting, especially the Homily, when I see their faces smile, or they nodd their head in agreement to what is being said, it's a good feeling that I know that in a small way, I can help them to understand the meaning of each and every word.

Ronda I hope this has helped even though you got some information from a hearing person, but a hearing person with deaf parent's, who has been in the deaf community all her life. Good luck with your research paper. Let me know how you did on it!!! Have a nice evening!!

WOW, awesome questions!
Although I am not deaf I am in a similiar situation. I sit in our church week after week knowing that our church has not provided an interpreter for the deaf people who attend. It breaks my heart to know that they have come to grow closer to God and are very left out. I sit with them and do my best to help them understand... but I don't do a very good job. So..... I started asl1 last week! I am very excited to learn and can't wait to interpret for them someday (hopefully sooner than later).
I have had the opportunity to work closely with a friend that is a month away from graduating with her PhD in Biblical Counseling for the Deaf. I am sad to say that most of your questions concerning accomadations for the deaf are not met (at least in my experience). I do not know of any churches in this area that are all deaf churches.
I am hoping that my friend's dissertation will get into the hands of many pastors, priests and people who have a heart for deaf ministry so maybe things will change in this area.
It's great to know that the other church (from the second post in this thread) accomadates the deaf in their church!!!!! There needs to be more churches like that one!
I probably haven't been much help to you but I do hope that you will get all the info you need for your paper.
May God bless you and your research!

Ronda said:

What accomodations were readily available to assist you such as interpreter and ect.?

After you first attended the church with no accomodations were they readily available next time you attended?

What churches are there that are mainly Deaf culture population that you know of?

What is the most important thing you would like to express about your general experience with religion?

Growing up, I attended a wide variety of churches without interpreters. I relied on lipreading but was basically bored for the most part. But I could feel God's spirit with me and that kept me going.

In the past 15 years, I attended a Catholic church that had a small program for the deaf. I was the lay person for Masses as they needed deaf folks to do homily to make it more ASL for deaf folks. Mass services for the general are auditory focused (music, symbolism, etc) so we did special liturgy for the deaf three times a month. But I left the Catholic Church a few years ago and have not found a church that would be glad to provide me an interpreter. Even if they did, they are usually volunteers thus they are not always qualified to terp.

Here, I know that the majority of Deaf churches are Baptist or Pentacostal. I am neither one of these but desire to join Episcopal Church but there is no services for the deaf. Recently was talking to a woman who is a member of Unity church but they dont have funds to provide interpreters either.

Overall, I find myself going to churches that provide terp services but I dont always agree with their doctrines or theories so it is difficult for me to find THAT one for me AND provides terp services for me :(

Spirituality is very important for me and I long to deepen my spirituality so I turn to books. But I miss community aspect of spirituality.

When I was in MD, I got involved in Gally Campus Crusade for Christ. A good bunch of people but it wasn't for me.

Many Churches.
Lutheran, Church of Christ, Christ of Church, Southern Baptist Church, Roman Catholic, and many many many pragmatic churches (User-Friendly Church) . The church that I goes to is Deaf Reformed Church and you can look it at the web.
http://www.deafreformedchurch.org/

Deaf Pastor and full signing accessible at the Church. Even hearing people do the signings. At other church than my and I always depend on the Interpreter if there is no other deaf people. Mostly of churches, that I went had the deaf pastors.

I went once and never came back again. In the future and I will contact for the request with the interpreters.

Best Church with really strong system and it is Deaf Reformed Church.
http://www.deafreformedchurch.org/

God love you before you love God. That is amazing how the God still love us when we rebelled against God. His grace is impossible to measure it.

Everything is under God's Sovereignty.
God made all the bads and the goods on the Earth.

Sophia26 said:
When I was in MD, I got involved in Gally Campus Crusade for Christ. A good bunch of people but it wasn't for me.

I am in the Campus Crusade for Christ. I agree with you and they are a pragmatic for the Christian people. I am trying to pull them over to the right track than being a pragmatic.

Back