Refused audiogram printout- UK NHS

melissa

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here for a while, but I'm back :) :wave:

I went today to my drop-in clinic at the hospital to ask for a new mould and tubing as my mould has a chip that irritates my ear, and I accidentally cut my tubing too short. While I was there I asked for a printout of my audiogram, the woman asked why (just for my personal records). She refused and said that it was a new NHS policy that they could show it to me but not print it out; that GPs have the same rules, and that since the head of audiology said no last time I asked then she couldn't go over his head. She suggested I contact PALS (patient advice and liason service) or write a request for my records.

I have found information about requesting for a copy of ALL my medical records for a fee, but nothing about them not being allowed to print out ONE record.

Has this happened recently to anyone else? I live in Cheshire, England. My new mould will take up to 6 weeks to arrive, which DeafLissa informs me is daft as hers have never taken more than 2 weeks.

I am a bit disgruntled and would like to know if anyone else has come across this rule.

Thanks,

Melissa.

Thats absurd!

I got my audiograms without questions and recently recieved new moulds after one week.

:wtf: They won't let you keep a copy of your own audiogram? It's your own medical record, not someone else's.

Sounds like they're trying to find a place to implement a fee.

Last edited:
They'll let me look on the computer but won't print it out for me to take away. Wow, overthepond, where do you live? Basically, I could ask my GP to request it, but don't know if they'd do this for me-or for free- or I can write to the hospital and pay a fee for printouts of my records. She said it was a 'new NHS rule', which I can't find anything about. I'm tempted to go to another hospital but I don't know how to start. The hospital is Leighton hospital, in Crewe, Cheshire.

"new NHS rule" my ass!!! ask for the evidence/small print then believe them...

I am in Hampshire.

I would contact the NHS directly and find out if this is true - and how to appeal it !

It seems absurd (and illegal) that you are not permitted a copy of your OWN file. I can understand them charging a small fee (more medical records are charged per page) .. but being refused a copy seems completely illegal.

If NHS really DOES have this policy (highly unlikely) I'd ask who you appeal this to

If NHS denies this to be true I would ask that they send you and your Audie a written letter on their letterhead stating that you CAN access your records

**shakes head**

That's terrible. I feel everyone have the rights to know their own body better.

That's a good idea Anij, I never thought of asking the NHS directly. The audi said I could contact PALS- but of course they're affiliated with the hospital, plus I contact them daily about foreign-language interpreters for my work and I don't want to get in their bad books.

Yes, I know that they can charge a fee. The audi suggested I write to request a copy of my records.

I'll try to see who to contact in the NHS- I could ask the local area branch (Mid Cheshire Hospital Trust) but as they're saying it's 'NHS policy' and applies to GPs as well it sounds like they're saying it's a national rule.

That just stupid of NHS. Mine will give it to me if I ask them to. I go to London one. No problem with it. One of my friend asked and they refused, London one says sometimes NHS refuse to print out worrying about patient losing it and they get the blame. Something like that.

yeah i have no problems asking for a copy of my audio. report them to fair trading or osbasman. and they will shit themselves then

My dad says I should write a letter in positive terms, stating what I want- a printout of my audiogram and coloured moulds (it's in an older post of mine). Of course, any such letter would go to the head of audiology who is a big jerk :'(

They'll let me look on the computer but won't print it out for me to take away. Wow, overthepond, where do you live? Basically, I could ask my GP to request it, but don't know if they'd do this for me-or for free- or I can write to the hospital and pay a fee for printouts of my records. She said it was a 'new NHS rule', which I can't find anything about. I'm tempted to go to another hospital but I don't know how to start. The hospital is Leighton hospital, in Crewe, Cheshire.

That's just weird. I'm looking into going back to school, and if I want to have accommodations, I have to provide a copy of my audiogram as part of the application process. I can't imagine some bureaucratic douchebag refusing to give me my records.

My dad says I should write a letter in positive terms, stating what I want- a printout of my audiogram and coloured moulds (it's in an older post of mine). Of course, any such letter would go to the head of audiology who is a big jerk :'(

yes. keep it professional and formal. state your intent. if the fee is required - then attach the check or whatever the proper procedure is.

don't forget add the legal statement along with your intention such as "Under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Access to Health Records Act 1990, everyone has the right to access personal data about themselves held either in computerised or manual form, whenever the record was made. This includes NHS medical records and private records made by doctors and other health professionals."

Westminster PCT - About Us

In the end I contacted the PALS service who gave me another number to contact- they sent me an application form and ask that I return it with a cheque (for the admin).

Luckily my boss said she'll pay for this as it's considered an employee health & wellbeing issue. I had to fill in a form (and send ID but I've just remembered I haven't photocopied any- gave the letter to my boss so she can write a cheque) saying I want photocopies of all my records from xyz year, etc..it's ridiculous..the PALS lady said it was so that records 'didn't get into the hands of people who weren't authorised to see them.' I'm assuming they'll write back and let me know the total charge- they said 25pence per photocopied sheet as well as the £10 flat admin fee.

I think charging is preposterous. Who's hands are more apt than mine, in my appointment? Grrrr....

Melissa - I'd still recommend contacting NHS directly and get the "real story" from them ...

The more people between the person making the decision (NHS) and the end user (you) the more chance someone will mis-interpret what the decision really is :)

Thanks Anij...in the end I just applied through the Patient Advice and Liason office and paid the NHS fee, to see photocopies of all my records (including from birth as I'm interested- was premmie). My boss is paying the fee- not sure what it will be, as there's a charge per photocopied page.

I'm glad it's worked out for you in the end.

If that has happened to me I would quote human rights act as this overrides the NHS Data protection policy.

The human right act views that any information pertaining to you or your body is your property and that the place who is holding your information is merely a repository holding place. Mind you I can see where the NHS is coming from about not releasing the information, i.e. information falling into wrong hands etc... They're obliged to create a data protection policy regarding patient information in this day and place and most policies do look really ridiculous and downright difficult to obtain your personal records. The reason why the individual NHS trusts have their own Data protection policy is to generate revenue as they have to pay for the equipment which holds the records etc... :hmm:

Luckily I've had no issues requesting to see my records or obtaining copies, even at one stage I challenged the doctor on human rights grounds that she gave me copies of my records without quibble. I've had to research for the correct quotation which entitles me to a copy of my records which I used to get copies, I keep forgetting it but I have it on my PC for those 'trips'.

From reading the above- it seems different countries have different ideas. I had previously my audiograms- as 3 copies are made at the same time and the audiologist gave me one. There is a copy of every audiogram in my ENT file-St Michaels Hospital. Considering the number I have had over years- lots! Just gave a current one when getting Hearing aids in the past. I live In Toronto Ontario. Of course, my ENT file is also part of my Cochlear Implant file at Sunnybrook/Toronto-now.

Advanced Bionics Harmony Atria activated Aug/07

I got new audiogram recently (11th Aug), all I did was ask and they were happy to rewrite the audiogram for me (instead of photocopy!)

hope you got yours sorted.

Back