really neat article on lipreading and how hard it can be

What a well-written and comprehensive article. It's a great resource regarding lipreading. I am going to pass it on, thanks.

Awesome article, hit the nail right on the head. Thanks for sharing.

Yea, many parents need to read this and understand that denying deaf children sign language is very risky. This is why many deaf children end up falling behind and then having to learn ASL later on. Just not right.

Early exposure to quality language, no matter what it is, is critical in later language development. Little ones just haven't developed the brainpower yet to be able to lipread with any efficiency. And few people have the innate brainpower to do it as efficiently as she does.

Awesome article. I related to so much of it. That's what lipreading is like.

Early exposure to quality language, no matter what it is, is critical in later language development. Little ones just haven't developed the brainpower yet to be able to lipread with any efficiency. And few people have the innate brainpower to do it as efficiently as she does.

Really? I did. I wasn't found to be deaf until I was seven and a half. I could understand very basic things, but I couldn't communicate. I had to associate mouth movements with certain things. I remember I did something bad one day, and I remember lip-reading Dad saying, "You've been bad today." I can still play the footage back in my head, what, 43 years later? I guess because I learned to lip-read, the addition of sound through hearing aids magnified the ability to discern even more. Somehow, I shot through Sunshine's four-year program in a year and a half and had to be mainstreamed in the second grade. I only had speech therapy for four years. I was in band by the fifth grade.

Today, I work retail, and I am exposed to customers from all over the world, the hardest to understand being the Chinese and the Russians. Once in a while I have Boomhauer's distant cousin from England. There is NO making sense of what they say!

Don't get me wrong; grade school was a pain to get through... I remember in the early days I used to fight all the time, and by the time I got to the 4th grade and I was in the principal's office, I just turned butt out, got my licks, and went back to class a little sore. (Snicker) A boy I once fought with was sent with me to the office. I got my licks, and it was his turn. He freaked out and was scared. Oh, he cried his arse off in fear of the well-oiled belt of pain. Oh, such the fear in his voice. I wanted to laugh out like the Son of Death! I recall we didn't fight again after that. I started calming down by 6th grade, and I was struggling to keep up because I wanted to go outside and play or go out in the field after school. I was pretty much the cave kid... I resented having to write papers. It felt very much like they were training you how to be "yes" people.

I always say lip reading is 90% guess work and 10% luck.....

Laura

I shared it on my facebbook. Not sure how many people will actually read it, but a lot of the people I know have serious misconceptions about me lipreading. It'd be nice if they could understand my frustrations...and she hits on them so eloquently!!

I shared it on my facebbook. Not sure how many people will actually read it, but a lot of the people I know have serious misconceptions about me lipreading. It'd be nice if they could understand my frustrations...and she hits on them so eloquently!!

Shared it on mine too....not a single response from anyone. I think hearing people have a general fear of offending us.

Shared it on mine too....not a single response from anyone. I think hearing people have a general fear of offending us.

oh I put in a disclaimer that it was really long and that most of them won't be interested, but for people close to me and actually have to talk to me a lot might be in interested in the perspective. I only put it up about 30 minuts ago or so, one "liker" and commenter so far, I probably won't get too many more, but I hope some of them read them. I know most of them think I can lip read more than I do, and granted I get more use out of my hearing aids, she can't even use them, but they are limited, I do need the sound and the visual....but I'm still playing the guessing game. As long as I get the gist of what is being said I can roll with it, but an in depth conversation? no, that can't happen until I'm safely behind my computer screen or my phone.

The better term would be "speechreading," not "lipreading." Yet I don't think I have ever seen anyone refer to it that way.

The better term would be "speechreading," not "lipreading." Yet I don't think I have ever seen anyone refer to it that way.

One time I called it "speechreading" and the person I was talking to said, "Oh, you mean lipreading?"

Interesting thing resulted from me posting this on Facebook and my feeling and frustrations about it. My sister texted me wanting me to send her a link to the site I was using to learn ASL :) she wants to learn. I cried. Okay I'm on my period so the flood gates open easily....but I still might have cried

Really? I did. I wasn't found to be deaf until I was seven and a half. I could understand very basic things, but I couldn't communicate. I had to associate mouth movements with certain things. I remember I did something bad one day, and I remember lip-reading Dad saying, "You've been bad today." I can still play the footage back in my head, what, 43 years later? I guess because I learned to lip-read, the addition of sound through hearing aids magnified the ability to discern even more. Somehow, I shot through Sunshine's four-year program in a year and a half and had to be mainstreamed in the second grade. I only had speech therapy for four years. I was in band by the fifth grade.

Today, I work retail, and I am exposed to customers from all over the world, the hardest to understand being the Chinese and the Russians. Once in a while I have Boomhauer's distant cousin from England. There is NO making sense of what they say!

Don't get me wrong; grade school was a pain to get through... I remember in the early days I used to fight all the time, and by the time I got to the 4th grade and I was in the principal's office, I just turned butt out, got my licks, and went back to class a little sore. (Snicker) A boy I once fought with was sent with me to the office. I got my licks, and it was his turn. He freaked out and was scared. Oh, he cried his arse off in fear of the well-oiled belt of pain. Oh, such the fear in his voice. I wanted to laugh out like the Son of Death! I recall we didn't fight again after that. I started calming down by 6th grade, and I was struggling to keep up because I wanted to go outside and play or go out in the field after school. I was pretty much the cave kid... I resented having to write papers. It felt very much like they were training you how to be "yes" people.

Same here no one knew I was HOH until I was almost 8 yo. I did become good at reading body language so I could tell when to stay away from abusive dad. I also learned how to read lips on my own before I got my first HA .I just did not realize I was doing it, I must had thought everyone did it too.

This article was AWESOME... So true in every way. I'm by no means amazing at lip reading, but since I lost my hearing back a little less than 2 yrs ago, I've managed to make it work... To some degree. It is REALLY so much harder than everyone thinks... I wind up using pad/paper more often than not because it's so hard. This article should go out to everyone who thinks it's so easy!

This article was AWESOME... So true in every way. I'm by no means amazing at lip reading, but since I lost my hearing back a little less than 2 yrs ago, I've managed to make it work... To some degree. It is REALLY so much harder than everyone thinks... I wind up using pad/paper more often than not because it's so hard. This article should go out to everyone who thinks it's so easy!

Some people are impossible to lips read, if they talk real fast or keep putting their hands up to their face there is really no way to read their lips . And when some people realize you're HOH of Deaf they'll over pronounce their words and their lips are one big circle the whole time! I can't stand this!!

I read the link several days ago but don't remember if she mentioned but do notice that none have commented here on one thing that gets me.

Those that chew gum and talk at the same time.

Back