Really happy to find this!

srlevesque

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Staci L and I live in LA (Lethbridge, Alberta) Canada. I am 42 yrs old and am now deaf/Deaf. I started losing my hearing in my 20's. Hey Chris really glad to see another military here! I didn't lose from battle tho as I was the assistant curator of our regimental museum in Calgary. Not really sure how I started to lose it, but I didn't clue in until my mid 30's. (just thought everyone was mumbling etc!) Once I kept insisting that our XO's first name was Marsha, instead of Martha...yeah that went over as well as you think it did!
I am profound in Right ear and severe/profound in left ear. I have HA's but they drive me INSANE!!! Only wear for official appts (dr etc)..I know ok sign and I am getting better (thank god) all my friends and family are hearies (4 dtrs, 1 granddtr and 1 husband) I lip read very well. And because I didn't lose the hearing until adult I speak very well (so they tell me) in fact I speak so "undeaf like" (actual quote from some hearies) ppl either think I'm faking or they forget and I have to say 10 or so times to turn around so I can see you pls..thinking of making a tshirt that says it! lol!!
I really love being Deaf..for oh sooo many reasons and I HATE the pity that I will get sometimes..Me: I need you to look at me so I can read your lips, as I am Deaf.:deaf:
Store clerks: Ohhhh, I am so sorry for you. That must suck. Me: Yeah, uh not so much, kinda like it. I can sleep through anything and know what people are saying even tho it's really none of my business..etc... I leave store and store clerks are staring at me like "awww what a brave little trooper" :aw:Must resist urge to go back in and inform them that I dressed myself today like a big girl!!!::lol: Anyways I'm thrilled to read and get to know all of you...:ty:

Lucky you.. I have amazing family but still I know they don't truly understand. As long as I am looking at someone I'm good and able to understand what they are saying. I still get bothered sometime when i can't hear something but like I said in an earlier post I was pretty depressed until one day I put my iPod headphones on both ears and started laughing because I really didn't need them on my left and from that moment I started feeling a lot better.. I know corny but that was my turning point lol.
That is really awesome you work with military for the most part so very interested in any stories you have to share.

Born deaf here but didnt learn ASL until in my 20s. :welcome: to AD!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I enjoy reading your story about yourself. This is the way the introduction should be read. Have fun reading and posting all the thread here. See you around here. :wave:

LOL welcome to AD
same with you, my old hearing aids drives me insane since the feedback sound annoy the crap out of my parents. :D but I'm going hi tech after xmas and bday

I don't think the ipod moment is corny at all....I still wear my mini radio with headphones that I understand to be REALLY LOUD! In fact I was listening to it on a Greyhound bus a cpl of yrs ago and the driver pulled over on the highway and went to the back of the bus and told me to turn it down...I sooo couldn't help myself..."WHAT?! I'M SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M DEAF!" I'm pretty sure his reply was "no f##king wonder!" lol! Love to swap stories with ya...IDK how to send a msg to just one person on here...I'm thinking not everyone wants to read about military insanity as you probably have the same twisted sense of humour that I do. I so hear you about hearie family being nice but just not getting it. My husband proudly brought home a surround sound system last week, great if we had house...not so good in apartment bldg! He really couldn't get why I wasn't more stoked. Until I reminded him that he can hear my headphones in the b/r and I'm in the l/r..I let him do the math on how loud I'd be turning it up for my "listening pleasure"! Talked way too much now.
Take care
Staci

I'm glad that you're getting the digital baby's. I started out with digi's and still have them..I hope they rock your world! It's funny yesterday my hubby is wandering around the apt and looking for something...he finally pulls out my HA's out of my purse (still in cute leather box) and says for the love of god turn them off they have been screaming for hours!! Like I said Good to be Deaf!! The sound never bothered me once!!lol!
Take care
Staci

Thanks

Thank you for all your warm welcomes! :wave: I'm sooo loving this site...
Staci
ps
:fingersx: ok I'm afraid to ask but WTF does this smilie mean?

oooohhh

oh ok...kinda like "I hope" thing? Because next to the pic in the smilies it read fingersx....hence my confusion.. Thanks eh. Sorry Bebonang...you started the eh thing,lol! Just wanted to represent us Canucks as well!:giggle:

Srlevesque, just want to let you know that you have to reach 50 posts to use the PM (Private message which is on the right top corner of the forum). I got your message about Crystal Shawana who is the famous country music singer. She is from Wikemikong, short for Wiky. Manitoulin Island has always been her home. My husband's families have love listening to her music very much and one of my friends is related to her. So that is cool. I don't always listen to country music because I can never understand what the music is about, even when there is close captioned. If she had traditional native dancers and hoop dancers, then I would love to watch them because that is my favorite traditional dances the most. :rockon: for Traditional Dancers. :cool2:

Thank you for all your warm welcomes! :wave: I'm sooo loving this site...
Staci
ps
:fingersx: ok I'm afraid to ask but WTF does this smilie mean?

Don't be scared because friendly, I can help you! Hope be don't be anxious reason you scared Because you are happy inspiration!

Don't be scared because friendly, I can help you! Hope be don't be anxious reason you scared Because you are happy inspiration!

Travis, that is a phrase when she said that. She is wondering what the smilie stand for in the picture showing the fingercross :fingersx: but she was afraid to ask the question but went right ahead to ask the question. Okay, Travis? :P

Back