Re-defining Deaf - Movie

You have an audience here my friend. :cool2:

Dixie, I'm planning something special for AD in the next month. Stay tuned! :)

I disagree. "Omigosh, look at THAT!!!" automatically makes one group seem superior to the other, and that is not what we need.

Against my better judgment, I'm breaking my personal rule to ignore you, because this is something that is actually important to me.

So, are you saying that the woman's article is supporting the viewpoint that hearing people are superior to Deaf because she came to a personal realization that we're all the same? Well that's a bit odd, because I didn't see that, and it seems to contradict your earlier message of "applaud her for being positive." Or are you just trying to be contradictory and troll...

Against my better judgment, I'm breaking my personal rule to ignore you, because this is something that is actually important to me.

So, are you saying that the woman's article is supporting the viewpoint that hearing people are superior to Deaf because she came to a personal realization that we're all the same? Well that's a bit odd, because I didn't see that, and it seems to contradict your earlier message of "applaud her for being positive." Or are you just trying to be contradictory and troll...

Two different things. The article, and the statement.

If a person goes "Oh, look at THAT... They are smart too!" the other person will naturally go "Whats the big deal..?" "They can't hear" will be the answer.

I dont see much of positivity out of that, personally.

Two different things. The article, and the statement.

If a person goes "Oh, look at THAT... They are smart too!" the other person will naturally go "Whats the big deal..?" "They can't hear" will be the answer.

I dont see much of positivity out of that, personally.

Huh? First, this post doesn't even make sense, and second, how is it related to what I said?

Huh? First, this post doesn't even make sense, and second, how is it related to what I said?

I'm not sure how to reply to this...

Do I need to write out a full blown thesis to make sure you understand what I mean?

First; The woman's efforts should be applauded. I thought that was clear.

Second; The thought process in saying things like that they are shocked that the deaf can do these things also states that the deaf are an inferior group of people in general. Why not it be like "oh, they're deaf, and.... problem?" That is the frame I would appreciate much more.

No, it was not a troll statement - but by now everyone knows you see everything as a troll statement, so I am not gonna defend that.

I'm going to go up to Vail and have a magnificent couple of days up in the mountains - couldn't be bothered up there at all. Enjoy.

I'm not sure how to reply to this...

Do I need to write out a full blown thesis to make sure you understand what I mean?

First; The woman's efforts should be applauded. I thought that was clear.

Second; The thought process in saying things like that they are shocked that the deaf can do these things also states that the deaf are an inferior group of people in general. Why not it be like "oh, they're deaf, and.... problem?" That is the frame I would appreciate much more.

No, it was not a troll statement - but by now everyone knows you see everything as a troll statement, so I am not gonna defend that.

I'm going to go up to Vail and have a magnificent couple of days up in the mountains - couldn't be bothered up there at all. Enjoy.

I said the article was well-written, in two separate posts. That's not what I was asking about. Nice red herring.

So, what you're saying is that it's a bad thing when a hearing person realizes that deaf people are intelligent and capable just like everyone else. You'd rather have hearing people view deafness as nothing more than a minor difference.

Okay, does anyone else see what's wrong with this? How exactly are the two perspectives different? By discovering that deaf people are intelligent and capable and just have a difference in language, isn't that the same as realizing that deafness is no big deal? You tried to say that such a viewpoint makes it seem like deaf people are inferior. How? In actuality, it's the opposite; by realizing that deaf people are intelligent and capable, the viewpoint that they are inferior is countered. Your logic is completely backward here.

Any intelligent person can read your duplicitous posts and see what you're up to. You're right; I do see everything that YOU post in my direction as trolling and attacking, because that is a matter of fact. This thread only further confirms it.

Don't bother replying. You're back on ignore. Enjoy your time in Vail. I've told you before in private, and I'm telling you again now for everyone to see: Stop addressing me on this forum or anywhere else for that matter.

Going to lighten the mood in this thread now.
tumblr_lhk5p0jVQb1qblgrbo1_500.png

1265434924920.gif

I said the article was well-written, in two separate posts. That's not what I was asking about. Nice red herring.

So, what you're saying is that it's a bad thing when a hearing person realizes that deaf people are intelligent and capable just like everyone else. You'd rather have hearing people view deafness as nothing more than a minor difference.

Okay, does anyone else see what's wrong with this? How exactly are the two perspectives different? By discovering that deaf people are intelligent and capable and just have a difference in language, isn't that the same as realizing that deafness is no big deal? You tried to say that such a viewpoint makes it seem like deaf people are inferior. How? In actuality, it's the opposite; by realizing that deaf people are intelligent and capable, the viewpoint that they are inferior is countered. Your logic is completely backward here.

Any intelligent person can read your duplicitous posts and see what you're up to. You're right; I do see everything that YOU post in my direction as trolling and attacking, because that is a matter of fact. This thread only further confirms it.

Don't bother replying. You're back on ignore. Enjoy your time in Vail. I've told you before in private, and I'm telling you again now for everyone to see: Stop addressing me on this forum or anywhere else for that matter.
In red - realization and how they say it are two completely different things. I've been commenting on how you said it was good for them to say these things in a particular way, and I simply disagree. I don't see why you need to be all bothered.

Im more than willing to clarify this with you, but one needs to be an adult for me to do so.

"Hey, you're pretty smart for a deaf guy."
"Hey, you're actually SMART?"
"Yeah, I have a deaf friend. He's actually pretty smart."
"Well, gee, I was an idiot to judge you for being deaf..."

those statements are not all synonymous.

Deaf portrayals in the media...should be more like, he's deaf. So what? Not OMG! DEAF ARE SMARTZ! Don't even make an issue about stereotypes. That just strengthens it. I'm not saying that Deaf issues can't be discussed, but don't make it your thing.

just be.

Deaf portrayals in the media...should be more like, he's deaf. So what? Not OMG! DEAF ARE SMARTZ! Don't even make an issue about stereotypes. That just strengthens it. I'm not saying that Deaf issues can't be discussed, but don't make it your thing.

just be.

Problem in media; the deaf is usually represented as weak. Even in Marlee Matlin's My Deaf Family.

That needs to be changed.

Stuart Hall , isnt he the sociologist from UK who talks about media portrayal of Black people which perpentuate racism? if so, then at least we know what (after watching or or after knowing about Stuart Hall's acadmic aspiration then you'd be more awareness about awareness, not some Deaf culture 'lies' feed by propandangists whom really is only interested in their OWN jobs to be so-called representing Deaf people whereas in reality they have just became another hearie-that-can-sign-and-allowed-to-tell-Deaf-people-what-to-do wankers....

like i said.

just be.

nice thoughts, but sadly it isnt enough, it is real, real political matter, with many ideological infraction and 'cross breeding' for the worse, naming those "professionals" but also those structure which 'provides professions to have professional 'voice' arent there as a happensance, it is systematically 'allowed' to provide that ideological make-shift, hence the distortion and ultimately burble out as 'symptoms of "Deaf problems" to be seen as "mis-understanding problems with ONE and only solution - to have supplement of sign language access. They (hearies, funders and what not (hell even the hearing society itself at large) dont care how much is needed (d/Deaf people do, which is why we still read, learn and still get angry about our rights to sign (to "just be") isn't recognised. The idea of level-playing field is still a long way off.
So no, im sorry I dont agree or buy "just be" is nice, yes, but its not enough, but i still agree we ought to be us, not to conform to be 'them'....but politics of the 'Deaf' has not been innocently opened doors to us to be included for our 'voice' its all still about 'compromise'...i think only if Marlee Matlin just piss off, and get replaced by groups of Deafs, - deafies , like that canadian comedy show which once had Jim Carrey as part of the group (was he gay? lol) those kind of weird, but accessible and FRESH media personalities in fresh show can do wonders.... a lone 'preferred' so-called representive star dont cut it...and neither just be ourselves, the whole thing depends on our awakeness, our stance to be anti-colonialist against 'hearingism' should be strengthened and rediscovered.
or better word for it, Conscientization, read up Paulo Freire.

I didn't say to stop the activism. But for movies, TV, etc...I think it really says something if the d/Deaf just "are".

I think that's worked for dang near every cause out there.

Back