Random

Yadriel

Reaction score
So I want you guys to just comment some things that stress you out due to being Deaf, hoh, or mute etc.

Me for example, I get super irritated when I ask someone to repeat what they said and they blow up on me then say it didn't matter. Or when people know I'm hoh yet they act surprised or get angry when I can't hear them or ask them to talk a little slower because I can't understand when they ramble words together.

Also teachers, whom point out that you're a bad student when you ask them to repeat themselves or to slow down because you can't keep up.

I just want to see what else other's have to deal with? Anyone else have had similar happen or anything else other than these?

I'm with you on your first example; when people say it doesn't matter when you ask them to repeat things. Happens nearly everyday with my family therefore it is very easy for frustration to build up.

I had a teacher infer that I wouldn't amount to much and that my younger siblings were smarter than me. That teacher can eat her words. Eight years later and I'm in my third year of university (speech pathology and hoping to continue on to audiology) and graduated from high school with excellent marks (for me anyways).

I had a placement supervisor question my ability in graduating from speech pathology. They asked why I chose to subject myself to for me was a difficult course of study. This happened in my second year of university. Before that, I was thriving and passing everything. After that my marks started to decline and now there is always self doubt with my hearing lingering in the back of my mind.

Anyone else have examples or situations that they could add?

So I want you guys to just comment some things that stress you out due to being Deaf, hoh, or mute etc.

Me for example, I get super irritated when I ask someone to repeat what they said and they blow up on me then say it didn't matter. Or when people know I'm hoh yet they act surprised or get angry when I can't hear them or ask them to talk a little slower because I can't understand when they ramble words together.

Also teachers, whom point out that you're a bad student when you ask them to repeat themselves or to slow down because you can't keep up.

I just want to see what else other's have to deal with? Anyone else have had similar happen or anything else other than these?
i tottaly undersad

I had a teacher not long ago that sits me in the back of the class since he puts all the bad students back there. Well for test he doesn't give us a hand written copy he just calls out the questions and we have to write the answers. I didn't hear most questions and every time I asked him to repeat himself he got upset at me. At the end of the period he told me to start paying more attention. I got upset and just tried to remind him that I can't hear very well. His response was "Is that you can't or you don't want to?"

I got upset and explained that I'm hoh and that I'm trying to keep up I just can't hear well and that it doesn't help when I am in the back of the class. He only responded with "Try harder"

At this point I was mad so I walked out. But honestly it ticks me off. Like I can't help this, can you honestly call me a bad student due to an actual issue I have? It's not like I don't do my work or don't try to make good marks. I do my best. So how are you gonna get pissed just because I need just a little extra help with things. I can't help that I'm hoh.

I had a teacher not long ago that sits me in the back of the class since he puts all the bad students back there. Well for test he doesn't give us a hand written copy he just calls out the questions and we have to write the answers. I didn't hear most questions and every time I asked him to repeat himself he got upset at me. At the end of the period he told me to start paying more attention. I got upset and just tried to remind him that I can't hear very well. His response was "Is that you can't or you don't want to?"

I got upset and explained that I'm hoh and that I'm trying to keep up I just can't hear well and that it doesn't help when I am in the back of the class. He only responded with "Try harder"

At this point I was mad so I walked out. But honestly it ticks me off. Like I can't help this, can you honestly call me a bad student due to an actual issue I have? It's not like I don't do my work or don't try to make good marks. I do my best. So how are you gonna get pissed just because I need just a little extra help with things. I can't help that I'm hoh.
You didn't have an IEP that the teacher was required to follow?

Oliver, have you requested assistance from the district? If you have and an IEP has been set for you, this is a violation of your rights to equal education. If you've just been "dealing" with your hoh status and haven't done anything official with the district then I would suggest that you do that. Your school is required to make accommodations for you, but only if they officially know that it's an issue. To that teacher you're just a kid making excuses. I know that it's uncomfortable for someone at your age, but you really need to advocate for yourself in an official capacity. Otherwise the school won't be held accountable when they do these kinds of things.

Oliver, have you requested assistance from the district? If you have and an IEP has been set for you, this is a violation of your rights to equal education. If you've just been "dealing" with your hoh status and haven't done anything official with the district then I would suggest that you do that. Your school is required to make accommodations for you, but only if they officially know that it's an issue. To that teacher you're just a kid making excuses. I know that it's uncomfortable for someone at your age, but you really need to advocate for yourself in an official capacity. Otherwise the school won't be held accountable when they do these kinds of things.

I know but my family doesn't even put on the school registration sheet about being you even though it's a question asked. My family says that since I'm not completely deaf it shouldn't matter and that I can hear up to a point so I should just try because I'm not actually in need of any assistance since I can hear some things.

My old therapist would have called the school to tell them but her office site moved to far from where I love so now I can't go. So idk how else to let the system know without it being by a parent.

I know but my family doesn't even put on the school registration sheet about being you even though it's a question asked. My family says that since I'm not completely deaf it shouldn't matter and that I can hear up to a point so I should just try because I'm not actually in need of any assistance since I can hear some things.

My old therapist would have called the school to tell them but her office site moved to far from where I love so now I can't go. So idk how else to let the system know without it being by a parent.

I just went and looked at your profile page. I see you are 19. If that is accurate, it seems to me that you are of age and could get your own setup without having a parent do it. I am assuming that you are in high school and most have guidance counselors available that could help you with local procedures.

Last edited:
I don't really see why you need your parents approval for this sort of thing. I'd walk into the school office or the nurse or the school counselor and say, I'm having difficulty understanding and hearing my teachers due to my hearing. I don't see why your parents have to report this for you. You can do it. The school may then involve your parents, but I don't think you have to get their permission to get help.

Wow that is a really rude teacher. Sometimes i wonder why some teachers become teachers if they were never there to teach or ensure everyone learns well? I had my fair share of rude teachers.

I always covered my HA with my hair since I felt comfortable without people pestering me and i guess my maths teacher didnt know. Asked her to repeat since she spoke too fast and she yelled at me for making her repeat and asked if i was deaf.

Another peeve is my brother facing away from me, and always sluring his words and speaking super fast. I'd ask him to repeat and he would always say it fast again or he would give up. I just go "you know i can't hear you right?" "Could you stop sluring ur words. I'm trying to grasp what you are actually saying"

School dentist asked me to clench my teeth but I could not read his lips since he wore a mask so I didn't do what he told me to. He got fed up after repeating 3 times and slammed my jaw together by holding my head and forcing my jaw up without warning. My ears were ringing from the impact and it really hurt. I was only 8 then and had a shaky tooth. I still hate him :/

Wow that is a really rude teacher. Sometimes i wonder why some teachers become teachers if they were never there to teach or ensure everyone learns well? I had my fair share of rude teachers.

I always covered my HA with my hair since I felt comfortable without people pestering me and i guess my maths teacher didnt know. Asked her to repeat since she spoke too fast and she yelled at me for making her repeat and asked if i was deaf.

Another peeve is my brother facing away from me, and always sluring his words and speaking super fast. I'd ask him to repeat and he would always say it fast again or he would give up. I just go "you know i can't hear you right?" "Could you stop sluring ur words. I'm trying to grasp what you are actually saying"

School dentist asked me to clench my teeth but I could not read his lips since he wore a mask so I didn't do what he told me to. He got fed up after repeating 3 times and slammed my jaw together by holding my head and forcing my jaw up without warning. My ears were ringing from the impact and it really hurt. I was only 8 then and had a shaky tooth. I still hate him :/

Okay, a Teacher or someone should have told him that you couldn't hear. Also he was very wrong for doing that. It could have seriously harmed you. A better way to act on the would have been to tap your jaw or if he was going to close your mouth he should have pushed your jaw softly till you realised. Forcing you the way he did could've really hurt you. That was wrong in both his and the school's part.

Okay, a Teacher or someone should have told him that you couldn't hear. Also he was very wrong for doing that. It could have seriously harmed you. A better way to act on the would have been to tap your jaw or if he was going to close your mouth he should have pushed your jaw softly till you realised. Forcing you the way he did could've really hurt you. That was wrong in both his and the school's part.

Well I think they only bothered to inform teachers back then.. since I would only visit the school dentist twice a year. I do hope no one else experienced the same thing then. He was such a surly dentist.

Back