Random Vents.....

I have notes posted too in the kitchen, the boys bathroom and my sons bedrooms...I'm sorta' famous for my "List" of chores to do also, such as take the garbage out before 8pm....consequences are: for dirty dishes in the sink...then wash them all by hand (forget the dishwasher).

It took me quite a while, and a lot of fussing to break their habit, even after I had to post a note in their bathroom about their "aim" for the toilet.... Several friends told me "Oh, that's just a boy/man thing"...and I should overlook it and clean it up myself....say what?....Oh, NO....after making all 3 of them scrub the floor with Bleach and cleaner...they finally decided to get their "aim" spot on....

When we had our own house, I had the lists up on the fridge. We also had a large calendar up with all the happenings in different colored pens for each person. Since we are here at MIL's, I am not allowed to do that in her kitchen. She has also said, that I am not allowed to make rules for MY family in HER kitchen. It must be her rules, which basically are, "Don't eat my stuff". When our construction is done and we get back into our own place, the rules and calendar go back up.

What sort of penalties do you intend to implement if the rules are broken? If you don't mind me asking.

Depends on the number of infractions.

She makes them go outside and stand barefoot on the roof for a number of minutes defined by this function:

y = (((1 + Sqrt[5])/2)^n - (2/(1 + Sqrt[5]))^n*Cos[n*Pi])/Sqrt[5]

y is the number of seconds they have to stand there, and n is the number of infractions.

So for the first time, they have to stand there for 1 minute. By the 10th infraction, it's 55 minutes. By the 20th, it's 4 days, 16 hours, 45 minutes.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

That doesn't make any sense. There should be logical consequences not just punishment. Like if you leave a bag of chips open and they are stale, you pay for a new bag out of your allowance. Only had to charge one kid once. That was after a warning so the kid knows exactly what is expected. Losing allowance really motivates. So does losing video game time. Every kid has a "currency."

Last edited:
What sort of penalties do you intend to implement if the rules are broken? If you don't mind me asking.

No one has been brave enough to break the rules yet! I've never had to make that decision!:P

That doesn't make any sense. There should be logical consequences not just punishment. Like if you leave a bag of chips open and they are stale, you pay for a new bag out of your allowance. Only had to charge one kid once. That was after a warning so the kid knows exactly what is expected. Losing allowance really motivates. So does losing video game time. Every kid has a "currency."

Exactly. And if you leave your things scattered everywhere, Aunt Jillio cleans them up and you don't see them for a while.

My rule when the kids were little, "clean it up yourself, if I have to do it, it means it's not important enough for you and it will be removed from the house." We had a shed in the backyard that I kept padlocked. Kids lost toys and electronics for leaving them out. Son forgot to clean up his playstation one day, so it got boxed up and spent a month in the shed. Now, they are quick to clean up. We have obvious issues currently due to living arrangements, but still, they try hard.

Like Kristina, it's hard to make rules to set boundaries and limitations with my daughter since we are living with my parents.

I tell her she can't wear her new clothes until school starts so she goes to my mom and begs and whines about it until mom goes and gets new clothes out of her closet for my DD to wear. So basically anything I say gets thrown out of the window. It makes my parenting ineffective and null at best.

Because of this I don't have any rules set up as I can't even enforce them in the first place. I just have to deal with the outbursts of emotions when things get crazy. Thankfully, I have a friend that has an open door policy at her house. When things get way too hectic and crazy around here - my DD and I usually go stay with her for a couple of days.

Exactly. And if you leave your things scattered everywhere, Aunt Jillio cleans them up and you don't see them for a while.

When my husband leaves his shoes lying around, I pick them up and throw them in the basement. When he askes me why are they in the basement, I give him an innocent look and say "Who me? I dont know what you are talking about." :lol:

I just feel it is disrespectful when a person spends a significant amount of time cleaning up a place and someone makes a mess right after but not clean it up. I understand that sometimes messes are to be made but when you are done with it, pick up whatever you took out and put them BACK! It drives me insane when my family takes things out to use but dont put them back. I nag and nag at them about it. My daughter has improved. My husband is another story.

My rule when the kids were little, "clean it up yourself, if I have to do it, it means it's not important enough for you and it will be removed from the house." We had a shed in the backyard that I kept padlocked. Kids lost toys and electronics for leaving them out. Son forgot to clean up his playstation one day, so it got boxed up and spent a month in the shed. Now, they are quick to clean up. We have obvious issues currently due to living arrangements, but still, they try hard.

Wow..what a great idea. My son is getting better at cleaning up after himself. He just needs to be told to do it and he will do it. I should lock my husband's things that he leaves lying around up. :hmm:

From reading the above: seems there is an advantage in being- retired/widowed.

Note to Bottesini: Prof SKY doesn't agree and following your wise counsel: tough titty. Getting ready for another "hot 5 laps" for you-shortly.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

When my husband leaves his shoes lying around, I pick them up and throw them in the basement. When he askes me why are they in the basement, I give him an innocent look and say "Who me? I dont know what you are talking about." :lol:

I just feel it is disrespectful when a person spends a significant amount of time cleaning up a place and someone makes a mess right after but not clean it up. I understand that sometimes messes are to be made but when you are done with it, pick up whatever you took out and put them BACK! It drives me insane when my family takes things out to use but dont put them back. I nag and nag at them about it. My daughter has improved. My husband is another story.

:giggle: (about the shoes)...but seriously,a grown man most times are pretty set in their ways...seems his own mother didn't make too much of a fuss about it?....but of course, when a woman is working, the family needs to cooperate around the house...I've thrown my boys "smelly sneakers" in the yard at times....the smell was terrible, but they don't smell "nuthin' ".....so now I have them put their sports shoes on the patio to air out everyday...

How about cupboards and doors and drawers being left open after use. Empty packets left in the cupboards. Hairbrushes and pens always getting 'lost' and 'walking' somewhere. I have a whole list. :lol:

How about cupboards and doors and drawers being left open after use. Empty packets left in the cupboards. Hairbrushes and pens always getting 'lost' and 'walking' somewhere. I have a whole list. :lol:

That's when they ask "Mooooom!!! Where is my __________?!?!" And you simply respond with "It is wherever you last laid it down! I won't pick up after you today." Then you leave them to themselves to look for whatever it is they are looking for. Whenever they run into their own habits first hand, they finally realize just how annoying it is for everyone else. Leave the empty packets in the cupboard, when they complain about it just tell them that they should throw away their empty packets instead of putting them back in the cupboard. Trash is trash, it doesn't belong in the pantry. If they leave drawers and doors open, leave them open. When they smack into one, they will be like 'Oh, I left that open, didn't I?" Then they will slowly begin to clean up after themselves. This usually takes about 3 months to see a complete turnaround with lasting habits being formed.

I am having one heck of a time with Google Chrome. Off and on for the past week, it locks up when I try to load it and go online. It is getting worse and worse. I hate Internet Explorer and I would hate to have to get all my bookmarks all over again for FireFox. Anyone got any ideas before I pitch this darn computer out the window?!!!

I am having one heck of a time with Google Chrome. Off and on for the past week, it locks up when I try to load it and go online. It is getting worse and worse. I hate Internet Explorer and I would hate to have to get all my bookmarks all over again for FireFox. Anyone got any ideas before I pitch this darn computer out the window?!!!

Just pitch the computer. Google Chrome is really great. I think it may be time to replace your computer.

I'm using IE because of ancestry.com software. I like FF better.

Back