Random Vents.....

Ai yi yi. My dad has severe dementia. My parents live next door and my mom kept my dad at home far longer than any of us, her kids and grandkids, thought she should. I helped out some, and so did some of our kids, but my dad is a big man and he is still very strong physically. He's in a care center now- he was a wanderer and it was hard to keep him safe at home.

My mother talked a lot about caregiver's dementia- where the caregiver is so wrapped up in the day to day necessities of dealing with dementia that she starts to feel a little crazy herself.

I hope you have a good support group, and if you don't, I hope you fine one soon.

I don't really have a support group or anything. I am able to email some people regarding my mother and I have another person who I email when life gets to be too much.

Just to give you an idea:
Mother - dementia, Hepatitis C and cirrhosis of the liver. I am primary caretaker.
MIL - inoperable brain tumor, cataracts in both eyes. I am driver.
Hubby - born with brain damage and has memory issues, now has minor heart issues.
Daughter, speech & language delays, severe learning disabilities.
Son - Hearing loss, vision problems and getting worse. Memory problems.
me - total deaf, fibromyalgia, neuropathy of the right side. Vision problems getting worse, OCD, Situational Anxiety Disorder. Special dietary limitations.

That's what I deal with daily.

I don't really have a support group or anything. I am able to email some people regarding my mother and I have another person who I email when life gets to be too much.

Mother - dementia, Hepatitis C and cirrhosis of the liver. I am primary caretaker.
Hubby - born with brain damage and has memory issues, now has minor heart issues.
me - total deaf, fibromyalgia, neuropathy of the right side. Vision problems getting worse, OCD, Situational Anxiety Disorder. Special dietary limitations.

Oh boy!!!...and 10 more bottles of Beer on the Wall....

I knew you dealt with a lot, Kristina, but wow!

Today marks the first time I put my glasses up on my head and then, yes, I could not find where I put my glasses.
Fortunately, I found them before I had to ask my kids to help me look.

I used to wear glasses but would accidentally fling them across the room everytime I signed "Hey ... LOOK!"

That is a heavy load to carry daily.

Okay - I know she has dementia and is beginning to get a little worse, but my blood pressure has just spiked due to my mother. She, in her confusion, threw me out of the kitchen so she could put 2 things in the dish washer. I had to fix lunch so I can leave now in 15 minutes to take MIL to the eye doctor.

Calgon!!! Take me Away!!!!

Well - I went to register for an adult ed ASL class through our local school district. There are 36 classes all over being offered. Guess what. they told me not to bother as all ASL classes were being cancelled due to not enough interest. This make 7 terms in a row this has happened. I guess I will give it up and deal with learning online and through books. My deaf club and deaf church are not helping at all. No one at the deaf coffee is willing to help.

Wirelessly posted

Being injured puts me in a bad mood

Wirelessly posted

Being injured puts me in a bad mood

How did it happen?....remember pulling the lumbar muscle in my back lifting weights before...was really painful...even twisting my foot....

Well - I went to register for an adult ed ASL class through our local school district. There are 36 classes all over being offered. Guess what. they told me not to bother as all ASL classes were being cancelled due to not enough interest. This make 7 terms in a row this has happened. I guess I will give it up and deal with learning online and through books. My deaf club and deaf church are not helping at all. No one at the deaf coffee is willing to help.

Ugh. I'm sorry.=(

i hate it when hearing people in interpreters associations or universities assume they own Deaf Sign Language or Deaf Culture, particularily when they copy Deaf ways, for example; they are now starting their own short film competition with a them "identity", now what the fuck for? interpreters dont have identities issues, except Codas might,,,,but that would indeed be resolved long before they have actually 'grew up' as adults. And of course, long before they actually decide to train to be interpreters, i can't see how their conflict of 'so called identity problems justify this action to steal an important aspect of Deaf culture.....so why do they (hearing) assume their right to pinch our Deaf culture, it arent right.

This makes me so mad

UGH! :mad: We're seeing that here with the community colleges. Our beginning lip reading instructor told us in class Wednesday night (funded by our local Deaf/HOH advocacy agency) that the community and 4-year colleges, and city adult schools, where she also teaches, are eliminating lip reading from their offerings. As well as ASL. Due to the recession and funding issues. :noway: And our advocacy agency is running short of $$$ from grants, state & federal funding as well. So where are people supposed to learn?!

You is nawt gonna believe dis bullshit....out here ppl are drillin for oil.. they oiled our gravel road..using our creek for water.. put up temp. speed limit signs..sheriffs..all dat. hope my water is ok... :mad2:

"Do you have your hearing aids in?"

So aggravating! Yesterday someone who knows better was asking me a question, while walking past me, into another room. Never faced me the entire time. When I said "What?" the response was, "Do you have your hearing aids in?!" :o I read them the riot act. There were more considerate attempts at conversation after that. :D

I feel under impressive that I was told that you can't be part of the Deaf community if you're not a feminist. :mad: I feel sorry for a few Deaf non-feminist friends of mine... Sighs.

Had the usual episode of not being able to read a man's lips earlier today. While at the appliance store, the man was asking what I specifically wanted in a dishwasher. I had a hard time reading his lips as he is a "shag rug-face" with very bushy beard and mustache and his lips were hidden. He kept speaking up louder and louder. Finally, the owner of the store comes up and wants to know why he's yelling. He explains that it is to help me read his lips. Now, this owner and I know each other and have known each other for years. He finally explains to the the guy why I can't read his lips and also explains that speaking louder doesn't help a total deaf person hear. MIL was just quietly snickering the whole time. We get in the car to leave and she finally explained, she wasn't laughing at me, just the whole situation. She is now beginning to understand what I go through.

Back