Random question: Can you use coupons with your food stamps?

Dixie

Farting Snowflakes
Premium Member
Reaction score
Someone brought this up today and after discussing it, we still weren't sure. It would make sense though because:
1.) You save the government money
2.) You are making your food stamps stretch further than if you were purchasing food items at full price.

Thoughts?

I would agree nothing wrong. It's like government is giving money for us to shop for food with food stamp. SO either my money or yours or government, nothing wrong with using coupon......

Thanks, I'll tell them tomorrow.

What mean there is no taxes , you have to pay the cash for items that have taxes.

I am unsure if I am understanding you.

If items you plan to purchase are not covered by food stamps - you will be required to pay the applicable taxes. Food stamps is an government program - it makes no sense for them to pay taxes on something they pay for.

Since it is the government that is paying for your food, it would be silly for the government to pay taxes since it would be basically paying themselves again on money they dole out to people on assistance. Make sense?

*hello*

....*hello*

.........*hello*

Now you've got me thinking about Momma Madea.

BTW - it's pointless for the government to pay taxes.

Nicky - why would you have to pay taxes for the food items you used coupons on? Seems like it would be cheaper to to just not use the coupons in that case as some times the coupon really isn't that much off. (IE - 5 cents off a $2.00 item makes it $1.95 - after taxes it's $2.09) Where as with just no taxes it's $2.00 even.

If there's no taxes on the food stamps - then you use the coupon, you should pay $1.95 for the $2.00 item.

I think your state is actually trying to waste money so they can cry budget shortfall. LOL.

I am unsure if I am understanding you.

If items you plan to purchase are not covered by food stamps - you will be required to pay the applicable taxes. Food stamps is an government program - it makes no sense for them to pay taxes on something they pay for.

You can't buy food that has taxes on it with food stamps , at least in my state you can't. You can't buy cooked food like a Q BB chicken with food stamps because it has tax on it. You have to pay for the Q BB chicken in cash .

You can't buy food that has taxes on it with food stamps , at least in my state you can't. You can't buy cooked food like a Q BB chicken with food stamps because it has tax on it. You have to pay for the Q BB chicken in cash .

Oh, in MA food is not taxed. In most states all of the food is taxed.

Hot food is not allowed for food stamps.

Right. Deli food like that is considered to be restaurant food.

You won't believe this but here in AR, as long as the deli person does not give you a fork and a napkin, it's not a 'prepared food'.

I've seen people purchase fried chicken from the deli with their EBT card. Messed up.

What really irritated me was when I was a cashier at Walmart and this young black girl with an attitude that she was better than me purchased $50 worth of candy with her food stamps. Needless to say I made sure her candy was crumpled up and broken when I bagged them.

You won't believe this but here in AR, as long as the deli person does not give you a fork and a napkin, it's not a 'prepared food'.

I've seen people purchase fried chicken from the deli with their EBT card. Messed up.

What really irritated me was when I was a cashier at Walmart and this young black girl with an attitude that she was better than me purchased $50 worth of candy with her food stamps. Needless to say I made sure her candy was crumpled up and broken when I bagged them.

Wow!:shock:

Yeah, I'm a big supporter of restricting candies from being purchased with food stamps.

That's $50 that could have bought a family of four a weeks worth of sandwich fixings and they would have been grateful for it if it was all they had to eat.

Here in Oklahoma, all food is taxed. I'm not sure if you pay the taxes when buying with food stamps, though, I never thought to check. I will pay attention the next time I go to the store.

Either way, there are few restrictions as to what you can buy with food stamps here, as long as it's edible you can buy it. I think booze is the only thing you can't buy with food stamps, and people have told me that it wasn't that long ago you COULD buy booze with food stamps too. Crazy.

The issue here though is making sure you shop somewhere that accepts food stamps to begin with... Most major grocery chains and walmart do, but I've been to a smaller store that didn't, and the health food stores don't.

My memory is bad, but I do remember reading a news story by the local news station that there was a bill in consideration to allow food stamps to be used at fast food restaurants, with seniors and homeless in mind.

Here in Oklahoma, all food is taxed. I'm not sure if you pay the taxes when buying with food stamps, though, I never thought to check. I will pay attention the next time I go to the store.

Either way, there are few restrictions as to what you can buy with food stamps here, as long as it's edible you can buy it. I think booze is the only thing you can't buy with food stamps, and people have told me that it wasn't that long ago you COULD buy booze with food stamps too. Crazy.

The issue here though is making sure you shop somewhere that accepts food stamps to begin with... Most major grocery chains and walmart do, but I've been to a smaller store that didn't, and the health food stores don't.

My memory is bad, but I do remember reading a news story by the local news station that there was a bill in consideration to allow food stamps to be used at fast food restaurants, with seniors and homeless in mind.

Tax is never charged on anything purchased with food stamps, even in states where food items are generally taxed.

Back