raising bugs as pets

August

Reaction score
anyone done it?

i caught some milkweed bugs in my back yard and i'm keeping them in a jar as pets. they only live about 1 month, though. i hope i won't get too attached. :cry:

but milkweed bugs aren't any of these:
* Caterpillars
* Cockroaches
* Crickets
* Giant African Land Snails
* Giant Millipedes
* Leaf-insects
* Praying Mantids
* Scorpions
* Stick-insects
* Tarantulas

SO WHAT DO I DO!?

jk. i've read that all they need is water and broken up sunflower seeds or milkweed leaves/seeds. they have a cute little proboscis that they stick onto the seed or leaf and release digestive enzymes and suck up all the seedy goodness.

I have seen milkweed everywhere here in Germany but I'd like to know what's important we need milkweed for?

What's your reason to use milkweed as pet?

I collect ladybirds for my garden because I know ladybird is a good bug to take care of my garden against bad bugs. My both sons use to collect ladybirds in jar and bring to me and put them in my garden...

SG, yes I was taught to save caterpillars and let them become butterflies... because we have few butterflies who live up to few weeks. We visited butterflies farm last year and love it... It's really very beautiful... butterflies fly everywhere in winter garden at butterflies farm/garden. They suggest that we should plant something to attract butterflies because we need more butterflies... I can't remember the English word for the plants, the butterflies attract to.

I have seen milkweed everywhere here in Germany but I'd like to know what's important we need milkweed for?

What's your reason to use milkweed as pet?

I collect ladybirds for my garden because I know ladybird is a good bug to take care of my garden against bad bugs. My both sons use to collect ladybirds in jar and bring to me and put them in my garden...

SG, yes I was taught to save caterpillars and let them become butterflies... because we have few butterflies who live up to few weeks. We visited butterflies farm last year and love it... It's really very beautiful... butterflies fly everywhere in winter garden at butterflies farm/garden. They suggest that we should plant something to attract butterflies because we need more butterflies... I can't remember the English word for the plants, the butterflies attract to.

Liebling, I think the plants you are talking about "Swan Plant" or another plant "Milkweed"?.

Liebling, I think the plants you are talking about "Swan Plant" or another plant "Milkweed"?.

I check google after got your 2 words. Yes, that's Milkweed!!! :ty: for give me English word for that Milkweed...

I have many Milkweed and remove it a lot... I can't stand it until I was being recommend to not remove Milkweed for butterflies's sake last year. We agreed to leave Milkweed alone...

(222)

:confused: .. why are you keeping them in a jar, they don't live in jar! period. put them back outside please.

I love bugs! I wouldn't raise them as pets, they die faster that way. I grew up took care of caterpillars until into butterflies (swallow-tigers) in a mini 'green house' and was always fascinatized by many different bugs. especially fireflies, dragonflies and ladybugs. I haven't really met anyone who likes spiders or any most bugs. :aw: everytime I go to camping, I'm always -ALWAYS- greeted by a bug. :mrgreen: last one, a grasshopper eventually jumped on my tummy (shirt), just stayed there for few minutes, moving his anntenas rapidly studying me so hard .. I thought that was pretty neat and hilarious!

...okay, I should stop talking. I love bugs if you can't tell lol. here's a website of AWESOME close-up buggies... amazing nature.

everytime I go to camping, I'm always -ALWAYS- greeted by a bug. :mrgreen: last one, a grasshopper eventually jumped on my tummy (shirt), just stayed there for few minutes, moving his anntenas rapidly studying me so hard .. I thought that was pretty neat and hilarious!

KILL IT KILL IT SQUISH ITS HEAD!!!

:laugh2:

anyone ever eaten cooked insects before? apparently they're much more nutritious and environmentally friendly to raise and eat than cattle.

before I do that, I'll squash yours first. I think that's beautiful-er that way. in a long run too.

kneel now, mate.

I kept a honey bee as a pet once. It liked me and then I acidentally put my hands too close to gether and scared it and it stung me. of course then died but i was sad. i was really young though.

before I do that, I'll squash yours first. I think that's beautiful-er that way. in a long run too.

kneel now, mate.

lol!

Scanners.gif

I check google after got your 2 words. Yes, that's Milkweed!!! :ty: for give me English word for that Milkweed...

I have many Milkweed and remove it a lot... I can't stand it until I was being recommend to not remove Milkweed for butterflies's sake last year. We agreed to leave Milkweed alone...

You're welcome Liebling. :)

Back