Rainbow vacuum

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmax64

Reaction score
My friend sent "his friend" over my house. He drove 100 miles from San Diego...it was a "surprise" and my wife & I wondered what was all about. A deaf guy carried a big box into my house and I saw Rainbow vacuum. I knew that he was going to try sell it to us. I told my wife in secret "you know I WON'T buy this overpriced vacuum. We're happy with our $300 Hoover WindTunnel vac" She agreed with me.

Anyway, the rainbow vac deaf salesman opened the brand new box and removed the plastic protective covers for the vac, attachments, hose, etc... and gave the demostration about how it works... explained to us about the dust...blah blah. It was like 45 minutes demo. At the end of the demo, he asked me and my wife "Are you interested in buying it?" I was curious to ask him "How much is it" (I knew it was going to be over a thousand bucks). He said $1200. I bursted in laughter and said "No thanks, it was a great demo tho". He EVEN offered us the financial plans, like monthly payments... his so-called "money back guarantee" . He said that if I buy it tonight at a special discount price and if I didn't like it, I can return it and get my money back, within 3 days of the purchase. He said it has to be in cash. I wasn't stupid... I repeatedly told him I didn't want the vac. He faced showed that he wasn't pleasured with me, he had to repack the new vac (put the plastic protective covers on EVERYthing - real carefully, then put them back in the box, real neatly). He seemed had no patience in doing this. He left with the vac. It was like 9 30 pm at night, he had to drive a long trip back home, another 100 miles to San Diego. Well...that's too bad for him. :giggle:

Several months later, I heard some deaf people weren't happy with the $1200 Rainbow vac, they called the same deaf salesman, requesting their money back (via email). The deaf salesman refused to respond their emails.

I feel sorry for those deaf people who were scammed by the deaf Rainbow vac salesman. :eek2:

According to Consumer Reports magazine, the $300 Hoover WindTunnel Self-Propelled vac performed better than the $1200 Rainbow vac. Hoover WindTunnel is much cheaper and does its job as I expected. I'm happy with my Hoover...so why buy $1200 vac? Rainbow vac is more hassle...it requires you to change the water, and hard to get it around the house while vacuuming (cansister type with flexible hose, etc). The Hoover WindTunnel Self-Propelled vac is a upright vac. It's a great vac.

The deaf Rainbow vac salesman told me that he just moved to San Diego from New York City. I just learned that when I first met him, he gave me his name which was a false name. I eventually found out his real name several months later. No wonder he is trying to "steal" money from selling overpriced Rainbow vac. If you really want to buy a Rainbow vac, you can get one on eBay for a lot cheaper, I think it's like in $500-$600 range. The $1200 vac is crazy.

So, when you are buying any products, do the research first. Be a smart consumer. That's excatly what I did.

-madmax

My parents had a Rainbow vaccum for $300 used at a vaccum store in California, it worked good for a long time (years) til the main motor broke and they got rid of it and got a new regular vaccum. :lol:

madmax64 said:
My friend sent "his friend" over my house. He drove 100 miles from San Diego...it was a "surprise" and we wondered what was it. A deaf guy carried a big box into my house and I saw Rainbow vacuum. I knew that he was going to try sell it to me. I told my wife in secret "you know I WON'T buy this overpriced vacuum. We're happy with our $300 Hoover WindTunnel vac" She agreed with me.

Anyway, the rainbow vac deaf salesman opened the brand new box and removed the plastic protective covers for the vac, attachments, hose, etc... and gave the demostration about how it works... explained to us about the dust...blah blah. It was like 45 minutes demo. At the end of the demo, he asked me and my wife "Are you interested in buying it?" I was curious to ask him "How much is it" (I knew it was going to be over a thousand bucks). He said $1200. I bursted in laughter and said "No thanks, it was a great demo tho". He EVEN offered us the financial plans, like monthly payments... his so-called "money back guarantee" . He said that if I buy it tonight at a special discount price and if I didn't like it, I can return it and get my money back, within 3 days of the purchase. He said it has to be in cash. I wasn't stupid... I repeatedly told him I didn't want the vac. He faced showed that he wasn't pleasured with me, he had to repack the new vac (put the plastic protective covers on EVERYthing - real carefully, then put them back in the box, real neatly). He seemed had no patience in doing this. He left with the vac. It was like 9 30 pm at night, he had to drive a long trip back home, another 100 miles to San Diego. Well...that's too bad for him. :giggle:

Several months later, I heard some deaf people weren't happy with the $1200 Rainbow vac, they called the same deaf salesman, requesting their money back (via email). The deaf salesman refused to respond their emails.

I feel sorry for those deaf people who were scammed by the deaf Rainbow vac salesman. :eek2:

According to Consumer Reports magazine, the $300 Hoover WindTunnel Self-Propelled vac performed better than the $1200 Rainbow vac. Hoover WindTunnel is much cheaper and does its job as I expected. I'm happy with my Hoover...so why buy $1200 vac? Rainbow vac is more hassle...it requires you to change the water, and hard to get it around the house while vacuuming (cansister type with flexible hose, etc). The Hoover WindTunnel Self-Propelled vac is a upright vac. It's a great vac.

The deaf Rainbow vac salesman told me that he just moved to San Diego from New York City. I just learned that when I first met him, he gave me his name which was a false name. I eventually found out his real name several months later. No wonder he is trying to "steal" money from selling overpriced Rainbow vac. If you really want to buy a Rainbow vac, you can get one on eBay for a lot cheaper, I think it's like in $500-$600 range. The $1200 vac is crazy.

So, when you are buying any products, do the research first. Be a smart consumer. That's excatly what I did.

-madmax

:gpost: I had a Rainbow Vacuum Cleaner back in the early 80's, it looked like a little space ship. It had costed me $300., I had it for around 10 years. It was a hassle to fill the bottom bowl with water, and then going room to room to vaccum, but, boy did that thing pick up the dirt. It did a good job, then I had to put the Rainbow to "little space ship" heaven.

Madmax, thanks for the tip!!! This person did not sound professional at all, and he used people that are deaf like him, which is awful. But, what a waste of a night for you and your family to have to deal with that. Here in Rhode Island, it's against the law now to go door to door selling. I haven't seen a Rainbow vaccum in years, but, after reading your posting, I couldn't believe how much they cost now and Rainbow does exactly the same thing it did 25 years ago.

Good idea about the research. Thanks again!!!!

Mods-- I am not sure if this thread is approriate and am recommending to reconsider the content of this thread.

Madmax: I do know who the man you are referring to. I have worked with him. He has a nickname that he doesn't know that many of his workers/friends/acquitances (included me) call him but I wouldn't mention it here. And that is not the point I want to carry out.

I am concerned that you may provoke some anger and slander toward this man. (Not that I am a big fan of him) I mean, you obviously pointed this man out without mentioning his name-- a New Yorker moving to San Diego... Rainbow... Deaf... and I know in a heartbeat who you are referring to.

I think this thread should be locked or ... something... edited several information that are dead giveaway about this man's identity.

Rainbow vaccum is an excellent product but this business venture running by this man may be considered as a tad "crooky" but it shouldn't affect your image of a larger company that have many ventures and representations all over the nation.

I will recommend you to edit your post to omit any referrences to this man and only speak about this product in general, period.

(PS-- This vaccum is for people who have senstive allergens so they don't have to deal with dust coming from the vaccuum and it did a good job at sucking up all those dirt and you can see it evident in the water where it is packed full of hair, dust, food crumbles, you name it, it got sucked up. I enjoy this product but you are right-- it is not worth to put up your home on mortage for this vaccuum. ;) )

We need to keep in mind that the deaf world is very small. At least this deaf Rainbow salesman was making an attempt to WORK. I have to admire him for that.

Lantana said:
We need to keep in mind that the deaf world is very small. At least this deaf Rainbow salesman was making an attempt to WORK. I have to admire him for that.

Mmm, true. He did tell me that he came to a new city (I am refraining myself from saying the name of city in hope that the mod will omit the personal information) with only 35bucks in his account and he only had the assests of a full suitcase of clothes.
Few months after setting up this venture, he became his own boss and helped many Deaf people to get some experience to put on their resume. So he is not an all-round bad guy. This guy got a family.

gnarlydorkette said:
Mods-- I am not sure if this thread is approriate and am recommending to reconsider the content of this thread.

Madmax: I do know who the man you are referring to. I have worked with him. He has a nickname that he doesn't know that many of his workers/friends/acquitances (included me) call him but I wouldn't mention it here. And that is not the point I want to carry out.

I am concerned that you may provoke some anger and slander toward this man. (Not that I am a big fan of him) I mean, you obviously pointed this man out without mentioning his name-- a New Yorker moving to San Diego... Rainbow... Deaf... and I know in a heartbeat who you are referring to.

I think this thread should be locked or ... something... edited several information that are dead giveaway about this man's identity.

Rainbow vaccum is an excellent product but this business venture running by this man may be considered as a tad "crooky" but it shouldn't affect your image of a larger company that have many ventures and representations all over the nation.

I will recommend you to edit your post to omit any referrences to this man and only speak about this product in general, period.

(PS-- This vaccum is for people who have senstive allergens so they don't have to deal with dust coming from the vaccuum and it did a good job at sucking up all those dirt and you can see it evident in the water where it is packed full of hair, dust, food crumbles, you name it, it got sucked up. I enjoy this product but you are right-- it is not worth to put up your home on mortage for this vaccuum. ;) )

That is why I refuse to mention his name on this discussion forum. I wouldn't be surprised if someone, like you, knew this guy.

Personally, I don't think that guy is a honest salesman. He refused to reply customer's emails or return telephone calls when they want to return Rainbow vacuum and get their money back within the 3-day "money back guarantee". Some deaf people tried to contact him during the 3-day "money back" period, but they couldn't get him to contact them back. I understand that he is trying to make money...but he should keep up with his promise.

I think this thread should remain open for everyone to read...this is a free country, I have the right to express my opinion, as long as I don't mention his name.

Deaf and hearing consumers should be aware of his "guarantee". They should purchase the product with a credit card or check, they are safer than paying in cash. So, if they are not pleasured with the product and the company refuses to return their money... the customers can notify the credit card company or bank to halt the transactions.

-madmax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back