Quick question: What to wear to a funeral?

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
My son doesn't have any nice black pants so does it matter what to wear at the funeral, I prefer to wear something more appropriate, would jeans with a nice shirt would be okay for boys? I need answers before we leave for the funeral service today at 6 pm, it'll be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! ;)

Does your son have any other alternative such as dark colored jeans or other types of pants? What about wearing khaki pants with a nice shirt as well?

My son doesn't have any nice black pants so does it matter what to wear at the funeral, I prefer to wear something more appropriate, would jeans with a nice shirt would be okay for boys? I need answers before we leave for the funeral service today at 6 pm, it'll be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! ;)

Have him wear a Satanic outfit. :evil: He'll get plenty of attention.

Just kidding.

Dark khaki pants would work with a nice shirt. Or even black jeans will work. If he wears regular blue jeans, he's going to totally stand out.

Does your son have any other alternative such as dark colored jeans or other types of pants? What about wearing khaki pants with a nice shirt as well?

My oldest son is very picky with clothes, he prefer jeans he don't like any nice pants or khaki pants either, I have no problem with my younger son, but my oldest son there's a problem. :lol:

My oldest son is very picky with clothes, he prefer jeans he don't like any nice pants or khaki pants either, I have no problem with my younger son, but my oldest son there's a problem. :lol:

Ah, So your older son does not like dark colored jeans?

Let him wear jeans with a nice shirt. It matters more that he is there than what he has on, jmo.

:hug: Welcome back, jillio! :wave: We were all worried, especially LuciaDisturbed. She was absolutely sick because of your disappearance.

Dark Pant something as much you can find nice pant for your son..

Tell your son, please just wear it for nice funeral reason.. So I hope you son have to respect and accept pay respect the funeral.

Okay, what about a sport coat that'll go with the jeans? I won't suggest a tie because kids that age don't do that, unless it's someone very close to the family. No tennies, though a dark shoe would work.

Wonderful! I was worried about her busting an artery or something. :wiggle: By the way, I'm sending Christmas cards out next week and would like to send you one. Could you pm me if you'd like with your address? If not, that's okay.

Never mind, we are going to the store before going to the funeral, Thanks!! :)

And pek1 if you wish to talk to Jillio take it in pm land or profile visitor message, it's rude to post something that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Thank-you. :)

The most important thing to remember is that we don't dress to please ourselves for a funeral. We dress to show respect for the deceased and the family. Whatever clothing you think will satisfy that goal.

I second that!

The most important thing to remember is that we don't dress to please ourselves for a funeral. We dress to show respect for the deceased and the family. Whatever clothing you think will satisfy that goal.

It is not necessary to wear black clothes. I wore white nice lace top with tan pants last week at the wake. During funeral I wore black suit and pants. For your son, he can wear nice pants instead of jeans.

Believe it or not, several Deaf people wear sport jacket and tee shirt and jean pants at Dad s wake. Even they asked me several personal questions. I said, it is not necessary to discuss my family s personal. Thanks for your concern. They were gulped. Unbelievable ! They had no disrespectfully my Dad s funeral last week.

If you can not find a dark color like brown, black top or anything that he need to wear to the funeral. I think I will go with Reba's suggestion on anything he want to wear to the funeral. Some people just can not afford or not have the time to buy black outfit to wear to the funeral like a last minute. If you are going to the store, just buy him the black top and he can wear the blue jeans. :fingersx:

Believe it or not, several Deaf people wear sport jacket and tee shirt and jean pants at Dad s wake. Even they asked me several personal questions. I said, it is not necessary to discuss my family s personal. Thanks for your concern. They were gulped. Unbelievable ! They had no disrespectfully my Dad s funeral last week.
I'm sorry that you had that experience.

My condolences to you for your loss. :hug:

Just some funeral etiquette trivia:

Traditional American: Young children wear white, not black clothing to a funeral. Black mourning clothing is for older teens and adults.

Just some funeral etiquette trivia:

Traditional American: Young children wear white, not black clothing to a funeral. Black mourning clothing is for older teens and adults.

I didn't know that about the young children.

When my mother passed away when I was nine, I borrowed and wore my childhood best friend's very pretty satin red dress with white "fake fur" along the bottom of the dress. I thought that dress was real pretty, and I felt that my mother would have wanted me to wear something that I liked, instead of something plain and black. No one told me I had to wear black for the funeral, and no one told me what to wear. I just went over to my friend's house and asked her if she would mind if I borrowed her red dress for the funeral, and she let me wear it (she came to the funeral with me also because her mother was best friends with my mother). I saw no point in wearing black for a funeral. I am pretty sure my mother would have wanted me to wear something that I thought was very nice and pretty instead of drabby black clothes for her funeral.

I actually did not know that people were supposed to wear black to funerals until about a year later, and when I learned that, I went WTF. Most people who came to my mother's funeral wore a wide variety of bright or light colors of nice clothes. I don't remember much black on that day.

When I get old and die of old age, I do NOT want anyone to dress in all black for my funeral just because it is "proper". I want people to wear whatever they want/like to wear for the funeral.

Back