Questions

Valorrian

Reaction score
I have two questions. Right now, my mom makes all my calls for me. My therapist said that I need to start making these appointments and doing for myself. Doing for myself will help me feel better about myself and I will feel like I have more control of my life. I don't know how to make these calls. Can someone explain to me what I'd need to do or get to make calls to a hearing person.

My second question is what is Audism? I was on facebook and people were using that word back and forth and very angry at each other. I wasn't sure what was going.

Use a relay service. Given that you don’t use sign language yet, use a text-based relay like Sprint Relay. You’ll just need to sign up online. It lets you type out what you want to say, and read their responses. That would work for setting up appointments. There are other phone options, but this is a place to start.

Use a relay service. Given that you don’t use sign language yet, use a text-based relay like Sprint Relay. You’ll just need to sign up online. It lets you type out what you want to say, and read their responses. That would work for setting up appointments. There are other phone options, but this is a place to start.
Thanks. I am going to sign up now.

Audism is a term used to describe a negative attitude toward deaf or hard of hearing people. It is typically thought of as a form of discrimination, prejudice, or a general lack of willingness to accommodate those who cannot hear

What I like to use with a cell phone is InnoCaption. You can read what is said to you and voice your reply for yourself (which I much prefer as even though I have used a keyboard since the 1950's I talk much faster than I type). Details are at this site: https://www.innocaption.com/how-to-use/

For those persons and places with whom you communicate on a regular basis, see if they offer contact preferences. If they accept text messages or emails as regular contact modes you can opt for those rather than telephoning. Many businesses do that for their hearing and deaf clients/customers both. My dentist does that for all his patients.

For those persons and places with whom you communicate on a regular basis, see if they offer contact preferences. If they accept text messages or emails as regular contact modes you can opt for those rather than telephoning. Many businesses do that for their hearing and deaf clients/customers both. My dentist does that for all his patients.

That's a great idea. I'd like direct connection with the offices. I'll ask them.

Audism is a term used to describe a negative attitude toward deaf or hard of hearing people. It is typically thought of as a form of discrimination, prejudice, or a general lack of willingness to accommodate those who cannot hear

Thank you. I was wondering can you have Audism toward yourself? I do have a negative attitude towards myself and I think I am less then hearing now that I cannot hear and communication is tough.

I never really thought about it like that. I guess it would be possible if you take the definition of Audism literally. I think your attitude towards yourself would improve if you saw others who were deaf and very successful and there are many. It is very hard to accept at first but you have to slowly come to accept yourself first. Good luck.

Yes, I am trying to be positive. I was staying in a lot so I didn't really have a high level of frustration that I do now. Now, that I'm getting out more, the frustration is becoming more real. I was in church this past Sunday and got upset. I was doing really well at first following along and then it was time to hear the sermon and I thought one of my apps on the phone would listen for me and type it on my screen. Nope, it didn't work. It didn't pick up the voices at all. I am not sure which app I would need to do that. I thought it would be easy to do. Someone suggested that I ask for the Priest's notes in advance. I didn't know I could do that. I've been looking online and found some churches in my are that have interpreted masses too. I was thinking of going to one Sunday to go and check it out. I could start learning the mass in the sign. I'm am familiar with the mass and know the pattern so it might make it easier to follow along.

Most, if not all, the apps like one you used (which one I don't know)- speech to text- don't work well or at all in a situation like that because a)I am betting the speaker was too far away and b)microphones on most cell phones REALLY suck except for phone calls - when you have it right up near your face anyway.

I use one sometimes when my family gets together for dinner- at home.. a bit quieter... it works....about 50% of the time... misses a TON, and misinterprets or misspells words lol (some are insane). Harder when you have at least 2 or 3 conversations going...

Yeah, I am finding out it's not what I expected. I did try it at home with family and it worked fine. I did sit in the back of the church, but I thought it would be loud enough since the priest had a microphone. I guess I was wrong. I have the app connect and eyehear. What app do you use?

What I like to use with a cell phone is InnoCaption. You can read what is said to you and voice your reply for yourself (which I much prefer as even though I have used a keyboard since the 1950's I talk much faster than I type). Details are at this site: https://www.innocaption.com/how-to-use/

Interesting. How effective is this in practice? Is it quick? Accurate? What's the pricing like?

Interesting. How effective is this in practice? Is it quick? Accurate? What's the pricing like?

I have found it very effective. You will see about the time they were off to resolve issues about making 911 calls which they had developed a different way of handling which was accepted once the FCC understood the process InnoCaption had developed. I have used them sense before they went though that and still prefer them to other apps I have tried for calls.

I do consider it quick and accurate.

It is FREE! You do need to certify that you need it. I have not pulled up the form currently used has I have used it for years.

I suggest that you go through the different sections included on the web site using you computer because of the bigger screen of a computer rather than a phone. Ask any questions that you still have. Then if you are still interested, download and install it on your cell phone. If after actually using it you don't like it you don't have to continue using it.

Feel free to ask any additional questions you have here and/or on their site.

Thank you for relating that, I was wondering about taking some control back as well when it comes to appointments? . I am having my husband come along to my appointments, but I asked if they would email me if the doctor had something important to pass on or send word of new medication, they agreed, but they end up phoning instead while speaking to my husband, but he misses relating some of what they tell him about me, so I feel I am no longer in control? When it comes to medical appointments I want to know what is going on with me!

I suggest you get InnoCaption+ as you can set it up to forward your regular cell phone nbr. to your InnoCaption number. Then people don't have to learn yet another number to call you in addition to the one that they have been using to text to you.

I have two questions. Right now, my mom makes all my calls for me. My therapist said that I need to start making these appointments and doing for myself. Doing for myself will help me feel better about myself and I will feel like I have more control of my life. I don't know how to make these calls. Can someone explain to me what I'd need to do or get to make calls to a hearing person.

My second question is what is Audism? I was on facebook and people were using that word back and forth and very angry at each other. I wasn't sure what was going.
Audism is discrimination against people with hearing loss. It is very, very widespread.

Back