Questions about children with hl

A loss of hearing can be at any age. But those who do have a hearing loss prefer to be called HOH or deaf, depending on the severity.

When you said "I have already interviewed a couple of professionals in person on this subject" was any of these people deaf or hoh ?? This is NOT the same as interviewing people that are deaf or hoh unless the people were deaf or hoh their self .

Read the OP again, he wants to interview people who WORK WITH deaf/hof children.

I'm looking for people who have worked/currently work with children with hearing loss in any way

A loss of hearing can be at any age. But those who do have a hearing loss prefer to be called HOH or deaf, depending on the severity.

You make it like that is the way everyone feels and just because those you know do does not mean that everyone does.

You make it like that is the way everyone feels and just because those you know do does not mean that everyone does.
Ok. I'm not sure I'm understanding. Your sentence was entirely confusing. Anyone with a hearing loss has a hearing loss. I was just merely stating that there are terms one prefers to call themselves. I meant no disrespect. Oh ..... why do you nitpick every post?

Ok. I'm not sure I'm understanding. Your sentence was entirely confusing. Anyone with a hearing loss has a hearing loss. I was just merely stating that there are terms one prefers to call themselves. I meant no disrespect. Oh ..... why do you nitpick every post?

You call it nitpicking. I get annoyed when people write in such a way that they make it seem that everyone feels that same way when we don't. For example you said "But those who do have a hearing loss prefer to be called HOH or deaf, depending on the severity." Not all of us care which term (those you used or any other) is used to describe our loss. You made it sound like everyone has that same preference when we do not.

Ok, so if you don't want to be called HOH or deaf, then what do you want to be called? Give me your choices. I don't care what people want to call themselves, I'm saying give THEM the choices. Where did I ever say that they can't? I was stating a hearing loss can be at any age.

What do you call someone who has a hearing loss with no sign language? Late deafened ?My dad all his life and niece found out age 16!

For my dad and nieces sake they say, hearing loss, boom! Problem solved! They can also , use HOH it's their choice.

Ok , I had to put my :2c:

Have a great weekend!

Ok, so if you don't want to be called HOH or deaf, then what do you want to be called? Give me your choices. I don't care what people want to call themselves, I'm saying give THEM the choices. Where did I ever say that they can't? I was stating a hearing loss can be at any age.

I never did say that I don't want to be called either of those. Please re-read these.

What I have been saying all along is that what I have added the bold to comes through to me as you saying that absolutely everyone with a hearing loss wants to be called HOH or deaf. Thus eliminating any other description. I am saying that you are forgetting that other terms do not bother some of us including me. I am not bothered by what you used but also don't insist on only those.

I try not to be too big of a pest and I felt bad for pointing out that girl a few weeks ago who kept coming up with my mom ..my kid ..me are all suddenly deaf due to a car reck or my fiancé is in legal trouble I forgot what her screen name was, and I enjoy posting on the anti ASL posts, because the one against usally just go by studies they don't actually have any kids
*snort* I've noticed that. I remember the mom of a deaf girl commenting that she thought that the oral deaf interventions (ie turn every single waking hour into formal language learning situtions, the narrative language approach) were designed by people who seriously didn't have kids.

*snort* I've noticed that. I remember the mom of a deaf girl commenting that she thought that the oral deaf interventions (ie turn every single waking hour into formal language learning situtions, the narrative language approach) were designed by people who seriously didn't have kids.
Yeah it's kinda hard to offer opinions when you don't have kids unless you've dealt with a method of teaching personally in school. Studies can say something all day long but we never really know the background of the people tested and other important factors

Yeah it's kinda hard to offer opinions when you don't have kids unless you've dealt with a method of teaching personally in school. Studies can say something all day long but we never really know the background of the people tested and other important factors
Yes exactly

Back